Barbecue Beef Brisket Texas Style

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Barbecue Beef Brisket Texas Style

"Anytime you got nothing to do - and lots of time to do it - come on up." Mae West

By Meathead Goldwyn

Summary. Barbecue beef brisket is the national dish of the Republic of Texas. Here's the recipe for how to cook it the way the BBQ champions and BBQ restaurants cook it. Recipe Type. Entree. Tags. Beef, brisket, BBQ, barbecue, barbeque, grilling, smoking, cookout, party, dinner, smoker, grill.

House Park Barbecue Brisket

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

• 1 month later...
Draggingtree

Smoked Brisket

Aaron Franklin on how to smoke the perfect brisket.

by PATRICIA SHARPE  APRIL 2011  59 COMMENTS

The Dish

Why do we love brisket above all other barbecued meats? Is it because of its resonant beefy flavor, its exterior as shiny as black patent leather, its rivulets of fat moistening every mouthful and staining the eater’s shirt? Yes. The very nature of brisket is to be delicious. Yet there’s more to it than that. We love brisket because cooking it is a spiritual path, a quest that, as a wise man once said, begins with a single log. The steps toward enlightenment are threefold. The seeker of Brisket Truth must first embrace mental discipline, immersing himself in the craft of tending the fire and minding the meat. Second, the seeker must practice physical discipline, to be capable of wielding and slicing a twelve-pound brisket after having consumed a six-pack of Shiner Bock. Finally, the seeker must exhibit spiritual discipline, neither napping beside the smoker, nor wandering inside to catch the game on TV, nor sneaking off to update his Facebook page. The person who does these things is granted true knowledge of the brisket’s essence. He who honors this ritual is prepared for life.

How to Make It   :snip:     http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/smoked-brisket/

Draggingtree

Austin, TX – An early morning fire Saturday caused by an ember from a barbecue pit destroyed the wood-framed smokehouse at legendary Franklin Barbecue causing owner Aaron Franklin to temporarily close the restaurant. “We hopefully can reopen in a couple of weeks, but luckily most of the damage was to the smokehouse, sparing the kitchen and dining room,” Franklin said.

“Wind just kind of swept through the smokehouse a lot more than we’re used to and carried an ember from a cooker and caught a wall on fire,” he shared.

Fire Department officials said the fire was an accident caused by the wind-blown ember igniting surrounding combustible materials. The fire completely destroyed the smokehouse and caused part of the roof to cave in, while the kitchen and dining room only suffered smoke damage.

“If there was a part of the building that’s easiest to rebuild, that was the one,” Franklin said. “It’s not the end of the world.”

An Instagram posting from Franklin praised the fire department. 

“Much love to the Austin fire department for helping us save the restaurant today. The fire destroyed the smokehouse but we plan to rebuild and reopen asap. We are happy to report that everyone is safe and we feel all the love from your texts, emails and comments.”

In a Texas city known for its plethora of barbecue restaurants Franklin Barbecue stands alone with long lines of people often waiting upwards of three hours to get in to the small restaurant. Franklin has won numerous national accolades for his barbecue including a prestigious James Beard award.

• Like 1

So many tragedies in Texas right now...

I sent my son some Texas brisket and sausage from an Austin BBQ place for his birthday in Tennessee.  He and the other swim team members were surprised how good it was after thawing and cooking per restaurant directions.  Certainly better than anything on the East Coast... @NCTexan

14 hours ago, clearvision said:

So many tragedies in Texas right now...

I sent my son some Texas brisket and sausage from an Austin BBQ place for his birthday in Tennessee.  He and the other swim team members were surprised how good it was after thawing and cooking per restaurant directions.  Certainly better than anything on the East Coast... @NCTexan

@Draggingtree @clearvision

I will take Texas beef brisket over Carolina (east or west sauce) any day...   But I ain't in Texas... so any port in the storm will do.

However we have been smiled upon....  about 6 months ago this BBQ chain restaurant opened less than 5 minutes from us... and it's brisket is surprisingly very good.
City BBQ

I have to say that their collard greens with lots of BBQ pork thrown in for seasoning is YUM.   

Edited to add:   Heading out to City BBQ for lunch with RM....   thanks for getting my taste buds going @Draggingtree .

• Like 1