Thomas Jonathan Jackson

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Thomas Jonathan Jackson
Charles Keck

This is the statue of General Jackson in Jackson Park, in Charlottesville Virginia.

It is a fine sculpture of an impressive and interesting figure in our history, and I wonder how long it will grace Jackson Park, or, for that matter, how long will Jackson Park have that name?

New Orleans is in the process of destroying a small part of American history by burning books removing statues of Confederate figures. Regardless of one's opinion of the War Of The Southern Rebellion (SWIDT?), it is a hugely important part of American history, and no amount of revisionism will make it go away.

I have seen those statues, and the idea that they "lionize" the Confederacy is laughable. They honor courageous men, and important figures in our past. And when I see Stonewall Jackson on his horse, I think not of slavery, which was rightly cast into the dustbin of history, but of a brave and resourceful and honorable man.

But the Progressive cant cannot allow any deviation from the orthodoxy, and they are particularly exercised by the Confederacy. Here is The National Laughingstock gleefully tarring anyone with any respect for the Confederacy as an "extremist." [Check the link...it is courtesy of a lurker!] New Orleans needs help moving Confederate statues -- and stopping extremists in the way

Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees.

General Jackson died on this day in 1863, about a week after being wounded at Chancellorsville, where he and Lee kicked the Army of The Potomac's ass. :snip:  http://ace.mu.nu/archives/369689.php#369689