FCC Chair Ajit Pai On The Road Ahead

Valin

fcc-chair-ajit-pai-road-ahead

Hugh Hewitt

April 28 2017

Audio: 04-28hhs-pai

(Snip)

HH: Amen on that. Now let’s go to the big issue. You have taken on net neutrality, the rollback of it. Five years ago, Justice Breyer came to my studio and sat down, and he said to me George Washington didn’t know the internet, nor did James Madison know about television, etc., and the world keeps changing. He was making an argument for regulation. And I responded they knew about liberty, and I made an argument for deregulation. I believe you stand with me when it comes to the internet that we’ve got to let the market shape this, not the FCC.

AP: Absolutely, and that was the historic understanding between President Clinton and a Republican Congress in 1996. They had a fundamental choice to make. Do we let the market evolve? Or do we treat it as we did Ma Bell in the 1930s – regulate the heck out of it so that there can be no innovation. And fortunately, they made the right call. They let the market innovate, and the results speak for themselves – $1.5 trillion in infrastructure investments, companies like Google and Facebook and Netflix become globally known names. And there was simply no problem for the FCC to solve in 2015 when it decided to impose those Ma Bell rules after all.

HH: There was no problem to solve. There was a fear of a problem, which the left loves to use sometimes. I’m talking with Chairman Ajit Pai of the Federal Communications Commission. And they ginned up, you know, I swear that nine out of ten people don’t know what they mean when they say net neutrality, but they ginned up on the left a fear of large corporations taking away internet freedom and overcharging, and all this stuff, without any actual evidence of that happening. How are you going to, you know you’re going to get hit, I think you used the term tsunami. You’re going to get hit by a tsunami from the MoveOn.org crowd.

AP: Oh, absolutely. And look, the ideological special interests that are committed to this for other reasons are already making some of those arguments. For example, they’ve said that getting rid of net neutrality would harm free speech online. But if you look at the leading special interest in favor of these regulations, a spectacularly misnamed group called Free Press, their own co-founders have talked about Venezuela as being a model for media. They’ve talked about the government owning all of the infrastructure in the United States, because they want to dismantle the capitalist system brick by brick. Those aren’t my words. Those are the words of the founders of this group. And so that’s what we’re up against. It’s highly seductive. I know the marketing of so-called net neutrality, but the reality is that these regulations are ideologically inspired to address a problem that simply does not exist in the marketplace we have.

(Snip)

• 3 weeks later...

FCC Votes to Begin Reversing Net Neutrality Rules

Pai: Eliminating Title II rules would return FCC to a 'Clinton-era style of light touch regulation'

Elizabeth Harrington
May 18, 2017

The Federal Communications Commission voted 2-1 to begin the process of reversing the Obama administration's net neutrality rules.

Chairman Ajit Pai said this is "just the beginning," as his proposal will now be open to public comment for 90 days. Pai said eliminating Title II net neutrality rules would return the FCC to a "Clinton-era style of light touch regulation" over the Internet.

(Snip)

Pai and Commissioner Michael O'Rielly voted to move forward with the proposal, while Commissioner Mignon Clyburn, a Democrat and daughter of Rep. James Clyburn (D., S.C.), voted against.

Pai's proposal would also eliminate the "Internet conduct standard," a vague mandate that allows the FCC to investigate ISPs.

"With this expansive authority, the FCC could investigate any provider for offering the public virtually any service that the agency might find problematic," Pai said. "And that is, in fact, what the FCC did."

(Snip)

• 6 months later...

Nov 22, 2017

SUPPORT JOURNALISM. DONATE AT http://www.timcast.com/donate

The fight for net neutrality is in full swing. Many people fear that without net neutrality rules large ISPs will throttle, block, or stifle innovation and websites.
My fear is that without net neutrality large ISP and cell companies will only prioritize the mainstream media.

This is a fairly biased opinion piece so take it for what it is. I don't think I am an expert on this issue. I recommend doing further research on the topic if you want to know more.

Side comment here, I think it's funny that pro regulation activists are using the Gadsden Flag as a symbol considering it means literally the opposite... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯