Kit Carson

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Kit Carson

By Roger McGrath - MARCH 02, 2017

McGrath_04-2017.jpg

Though the mountain men were responsible for blazing nearly every trail to the Pacific Coast, discovering the natural wonders of the Trans-Mississippi West, and providing the muscle that fueled the fur trade—a major component of the American economy—few gained national recognition. An outstanding exception was Kit Carson. During the 1840’s and 50’s, John C. Frémont and his wife, Jessie, wrote glowingly of Carson and his exploits. A century later I began learning of Kit Carson. He was still a well-known historical figure and part of any student’s education in California. He was portrayed heroically in books and articles and as a character in movies. He was also the subject of a television series. He was one of those figures who made me proud to be an American and whetted my appetite for grand adventures.

Ask students today about Kit Carson, and they will probably draw a blank. No room any longer for such heroes in their politically correct textbooks.

Born in Madison County, Kentucky, in 1809 to a family of Scotch-Irish pioneers, Christopher Houston Carson was destined for greatness. By the time he was two his family had picked up and migrated westward to a farm near Boone’s Lick, Missouri. He was not quite nine when his father was killed while felling a tree. Kit, as he had been called from infancy, dropped out of school to work full-time on the family farm. He hunted in his spare time, helping to put meat on the table for the family. Scissors-32x32.png http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/2017/April/41/4/magazine/article/10838404/