Byron York: Washington Post adopts new motto, 'democracy dies in darkness,' says it has nothing to do with Trump

Geee

2615453Washington Examiner:

The Washington Post has a new motto, displayed right below the paper's logo on its homepage: "democracy dies in darkness."

It's a new thing for the paper, which never had a motto or slogan in its 140-year history. Not through World War I, or the Great Depression, or World War II, or the Cold War, or Vietnam, or Watergate, or the War on Terror, or — or anything. Through all that time, including the period when the Post was lionized for shining light on Watergate, did the paper have a motto.

But now, it is "democracy dies in darkness." The paper debuted the slogan on Snapchat, and now it's on the website, and will appear in the printed paper in coming weeks, according to spokeswoman Molly Gannon.

Just to be sure I hadn't missed something, I asked Gannon if the Post had ever had a slogan like the New York Times' "all the news that's fit to print." "This isn't intended to be a tagline in that way," Gannon answered, via email. "If you're asking if we have ever had anything like the NYT 'Fit to Print' motto, the newspaper had long used in marketing 'If you don't get it, you don't get it.'"Scissors-32x32.png