Journalists Apologize For Spreading Bogus New York Times Story About Rick Perry

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
journalists-apologize-for-spreading-bogus-new-york-times-story-about-rick-perryDaily Caller:

Reporters apologized for spreading a bogus New York Times hit piece on Rick Perry Thursday, after new facts came to light that completely undermined the central assertion of the story.

“I’m about to delete this tweet, which spread the rumor about Perry not knowing what energy sec does,” New York Magazine writer Jesse Singal tweeted, referring to an earlier tweet sharing the story. “I think it’s false.”

The New York Times reports Perry had no clue the energy secretary is in charge of safeguarding the nuclear arsenal when he accepted the nomination for the position in Donald Trump’s administration. Massive flaws in the reporting quickly became clear, however, as the sole source for the story told The Daily Caller his words were taken out of context, and journalists quickly dug up a statement from Perry on his nomination that explicitly mentions the nuclear arsenal.

Initially a lot of journalists retweeted and cheered the story, but after it was clearly debunked, some began deleting those tweets and instead sharing the stories debunking the report. They harshly criticized the paper in the meantime.

“I officially retract my snarky Rick Perry tweet c/o the NYT,” writer Andrew Heaton tweeted. “I stand by my snarky Dancing with the Stars tweets.” Asked why he was retracting in a reply to his tweet, he added: “It appears the NYT had a pre-existing opinion and then slopped some dubious reporting on top to confirm.”

________

Fake news hacks try to cover their tracks.