Marco Rubio goes after Trump’s pick for secretary of state. Hard.

Valin

?utm_term=.4e0006f01262Washington Post:

Amber Phillips

January 11 2017

Going into Wednesday's hearing for President-elect Donald Trump's secretary of state nominee, Rex Tillerson, all eyes were on Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who could choose whether to give deference to Trump's pick — or try to tear him apart.

In the opening hour of the two-day hearing, Rubio went on the attack. [Notably, Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) let him go on that attack before many other senators had a chance to speak, and before Trump's news conference was going to suck up all the political oxygen.]

No matter when it happened, Rubio's bull-dog approach could spell trouble for Tillerson's nomination and signal a larger rift within the Republican Party about whether to work with Trump on sensitive issues like Russia.

(Snip)

__________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DycOPMSk168

@WestVirginiaRebel

Moved

Tillerson Faces Questions about Russia, Big Oil, Environmentalism at Secretary of State Confirmation Hearing

Wednesday will bring Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson’s confirmation hearing. One of the major points of contention from Democrats, and some Republicans, is expected to be the former ExxonMobil CEO’s business dealings in Russia.

Tillerson has been praised for his experience with “strategic planning, managing international partnerships and risk, and focused leadership around the world” by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY). Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman Bob Corker (R-TN) called him “a very impressive individual” with “extraordinary working knowledge of the world.”

Other Republican senators who applauded his nomination in similar terms include James Inhofe of Oklahoma, Johnny Isakson of Georgia, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, and John Cornyn of Texas. Over in the House, Speaker Paul Ryan described Tillerson as “a proven leader and person of enormous accomplishment.”

________

Mr. Tillerson goes to Washington.

Rubio and the Twitter Mentality

Ryan M(cPherson) January 11, 2017 217 COMMENTS

I haven’t been listening to any of the confirmation hearings, and I’ve only got a moment to give a quick opinion, but it’s one that has been irritating me for about an hour now. I heard a question that was asked by Marco Rubio to Rex Tillerson; it was played by @andrewklavan on his podcast this morning.

The question asked, essentially: “Is Putin a war criminal?”

What an amazingly absurd question. I’m not just ashamed of Rubio for asking such a stupid question, I’m ashamed at him for playing along with the popular demand for low-information knee-jerk Twitter condemnations or praises. On the one hand, it makes me think that this disposition would be terrible in a president (and, at one point, I supported Rubio); on the other hand, it is the disposition of our actual president-Elect.

So what is he expecting as a response? Does he seriously want for our Secretary of State to start throwing out inflammatory language and condemnations based on news reports Scissors-32x32.png

https://ricochet.com/402679/rubio-and-the-twitter-response/