Beautiful Portraits of American Indian Teen Girls From Between the 1870s and 1890s

Draggingtree

Beautiful Portraits of American Indian Teen Girls From Between the 1870s and 1890s

Via Cousin Colby

The American Indians are an important part of the culture of the United States. While their people have lived on this land for thousands of years, today their numbers are dwindling. Once, the Native Americans lived on this continent with little discourse and disruption. They were well fed, content, and established. In fact, the men and women usually were placed in typical roles.

Here is a collection of beautiful and rare photos of Native American teen girls taken before 1900.

More @ Vintage Everyday

Scissors-32x32.png

http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2016/09/beautiful-portraits-of-american-indian.html

@Draggingtree The 19th picture down is my 8th great grandmother, Marie Olivier Sylvestre Manitouabeouich. She was from an Algonquin/Huron tribe in Canada. Some else researching her has flagged this as her picture and I have it in my file - so I hope it is indeed her picture. The French sent her to France to be 'civilized' and then brought her back and she became the wife of an early settler ( my 8th G grandfather)

• Like 1

(1615-1665)

Marie Manitouabewich was born on September 10, 1615; near present-day Montreal, the daughter of an Algonquin Chief; **Roch Manitouabewich; and his wife Outchibahabanoukouehou. In the fall of 1637; an event took place that would forever change her life, since it was at that time that the family decided to spend the winter with the French Missionaries. While there, the Jesuits were able to convince her parents to allow herself and her brother to become baptized into the Christian faith. Her brother was given the name Francois, after his godfather, Francois de Re, Sieur de Gand, and Manithabehick was baptized Marie-Olivier; after her Godfather, Olivier Le Tardiff.

• Like 1