Right on Time: Sen. Grassley Starts to Cave on Garland #SCOTUS Confirmation in Lame Duck

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
?p=86006Election Law Blog: Right on Time: Sen. Grassley Starts to Cave on Garland #SCOTUS Confirmation in Lame Duck

Posted on

August 30, 2016 8:32 am

by Rick Hasen

I’ve long said I expect Judge Garland to be confirmed in lame duck, if, as expected, Clinton wins the presidency and Democrats narrowly take over the Senate. The bet would be that Garland is both older and more moderate than whoever Clinton would nominate instead of Garland (and no, I don’t expect Obama to withdraw Garland’s nomination or Garland to withdraw).

Now, via Zoe Tillman, comes this story of a local rotary club Q&A with Senator Grassley, the Senate Judiciary chair, who has said it, like Sen. Majority leader McConnell, that it is up to the next president to choose the Supreme Court nominee:Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree
The Court after Scalia: What a conservative successor to Justice Scalia would mean for “affirmative action”

By Roger Clegg on Aug 31, 2016 at 10:53 am

Roger Clegg is president and general counsel of the Center for Equal Opportunity.

I’ve been asked to discuss what will happen in the area of racial preferences – a.k.a. “affirmative action” – if Justice Antonin Scalia’s successor is a conservative.

Well, since Justice Scalia was a conservative, then what will happen is basically what has been happening. The new Justice will line up with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas, who are pretty much categorically opposed to such discrimination, and will be in opposition to Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor, who can be counted on to defend politically correct racial preferences more or less categorically. And so it will continue to be a Kennedy Court. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/08/the-court-after-scalia-what-a-conservative-successor-to-justice-scalia-would-mean-for-affirmative-action/#more-246076