Trump makes his big entrance

Geee

Gingrich rewrites Cruz speech after Trump snub

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich attempted to do damage control after Ted

"I think you misunderstood one paragraph that Ted Cruz, who is a superb orator, said," the Georgia Republican told delegates as he took the stage immediately after Cruz.

"Ted Cruz said, 'You can vote your conscience for anyone who will uphold the Constitution.' In this election, there is only one candidate who will uphold the Constitution. So, to paraphrase Ted Cruz, if you want to protect the Constitution of the United States, the only possible candidate this fall is the Trump-Pence Republican ticket."

The comments were an improvised addition to Gingrich's speech.Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288622-gingrich-recasts-cruz-speech-after-trump-snub

Ingraham swipe at Cruz gets standing ovation

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham brought the Republican National Convention to its feet on Wednesday night calling for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) to endorse Donald Trump in his convention speech later.

“Donald Trump has pledged to work tirelessly to get our country back on track,” she said. “I want to say this very plainly, to all of you boys with wounded feelings and bruised egos: We love you, but you must honor your pledge to support Donald Trump now. Do it tonight.”

The crowd erupted.

“I hope they’re listening to you,” she said. “I hope you’re listening.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288599-ingraham-swipe-at-cruz-gets-standing-ovation

• Like 1

Walker makes case against Clinton: 'America deserves better'

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker engaged in a call and response with attendees of the Republican National Convention Wednesday night, arguing that "America deserves better" than former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as president of the United States.

In his address, Walker listed a slew of reasons why Americans "deserve better" than Clinton, pointing to GOP stances on foreign policy and small government. He then went on to make the case for Donald Trump and Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, who Walker has lauded since Trump named him to the ticket last Friday.

"The simple truth is: Liberal Washington insiders created these problems," Walker said, according to prepared remarks. "And Hillary Clinton is the ultimate liberal Washington insider. If she were any more on the 'inside,' she'd be in prison. America deserves better than Hillary Clinton. We need to support Donald Trump and Mike Pence for president and vice president."Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/walker-makes-case-against-clinton-america-deserves-better/article/2597195

Pence rallies GOP to unite, accepts VP nod

CLEVELAND – Mike Pence quickly accepted the Republican vice presidential nomination and then showed why Donald Trump picked him as his running mate, harkening to his Midwestern roots to appeal to GOP voters to unite against Hillary Clinton – rallying the faithful ahead of Thursday night’s crowning of Trump as the party standard-bearer.

The Indiana governor dubbed the presumptive Democratic nominee “America’s secretary of the status quo,” and called 2016 a “time for choosing.”

His address was the rally point Republicans were hoping would come from Trump’s ex-primary rival Ted Cruz, who faced angry boos from the crowd Wednesday night as he stopped short of an endorsement in his own prime-time speech.

Technical glitches with the arena’s monitors also created some problems. But Trump soon entered the arena, his son Eric delivered a speech returning the focus to the party’s presidential nominee – and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich delivered a rousing address to set the stage for Pence.

Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/21/pence-rallies-gop-to-unite-accepts-vp-nod-cruz-withholds-endorsement.html

Donald Trump Sets Conditions for Defending NATO Allies Against Attack
DAVID E. SANGER and MAGGIE HABERMAN
JULY 20, 2016

CLEVELAND — Donald J. Trump, on the eve of accepting the Republican nomination for president, said Wednesday that if he were elected, he would not pressure Turkey or other authoritarian allies about conducting purges of their political adversaries or cracking down on civil liberties. The United States, he said, has to “fix our own mess” before trying to alter the behavior of other nations.

“I don’t think we have a right to lecture,” Mr. Trump said in a wide-ranging interview in his suite in a downtown hotel here while keeping an eye on television broadcasts from the Republican National Convention. “Look at what is happening in our country,” he said. “How are we going to lecture when people are shooting policemen in cold blood?”

During a 45-minute conversation, he explicitly raised new questions about his commitment to automatically defend NATO allies if they are attacked, saying he would first look at their contributions to the alliance. Mr. Trump re-emphasized the hard-line nationalist approach that has marked his improbable candidacy, describing how he would force allies to shoulder defense costs that the United States has borne for decades, cancel longstanding treaties he views as unfavorable, and redefine what it means to be a partner of the United States.

He said the rest of the world would learn to adjust to his approach. “I would prefer to be able to continue” existing agreements, he said, but only if allies stopped taking advantage of what he called an era of American largess that was no longer affordable.

(Snip)

Trump wub.png Erdogan

I Choose Ted
Jonah Goldberg
July 21, 2016

I find it nothing short of hilarious how so many seasoned political journalists (including many of my colleagues — and betters – at Fox) are visibly shocked and appalled by what Cruz did last night. Ever since I was a kid, the political press – left, right and center – has whined that there’s no drama at conventions any more. It’s all scripted. It’s just an infomercial. It’s just such a shame.

Well here comes Ted Cruz providing exactly the sort of drama they yearned for and many of these same voices are aghast at Ted Cruz’s effrontery. The word has gone out across the land: This is an outrage! Not since Caligula appointed his horse to the Roman senate has a political figure showed such contempt for decorum and the solemnity of politics! Last night and this morning, across the news channels, I’ve watched many people I respect – and a great many more I don’t — talk about what a sore loser Cruz is.

There are two things to say about that. First, many of these people are willingly buying into Manafort’s stagecraft. The Trump team knew about the speech beforehand. The outrage on the floor may have ended up being genuine, but it started out manufactured. I understand that Chris Christie will spew whatever fake outrage his masters instruct, like a trained seal barking for another herring. But I don’t see why so many supposedly seasoned political observers are volunteering for service.

Second, what the Hell are people talking about? This is part of the corruption of Trump. He called Ted Cruz a liar every day and in every way for months (it used to be considered a breach in decorum to straight up call an opponent a liar, never mind use it as a nickname). The insults against his wife, the cavalier birtherism, the disgusting JFK assassination theories about his Dad: These things are known. And yet the big conversation of the day is Ted Cruz’s un-sportsmanlike behavior? For real? But forget Cruz for a moment. For over a year, Trump has degraded politics in some of the most vile ways. His respect for the Republican Party as the home of conservatism is on par with Napoleon’s respect for churches when he converted them into stables.

(Snip)

Ingraham swipe at Cruz gets standing ovation

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham brought the Republican National Convention to its feet on Wednesday night calling for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) to endorse Donald Trump in his convention speech later.

“Donald Trump has pledged to work tirelessly to get our country back on track,” she said. “I want to say this very plainly, to all of you boys with wounded feelings and bruised egos: We love you, but you must honor your pledge to support Donald Trump now. Do it tonight.”

The crowd erupted.

“I hope they’re listening to you,” she said. “I hope you’re listening.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288599-ingraham-swipe-at-cruz-gets-standing-ovation

Laura Sweetheart Trump has said a great many things. Something I may have missed in the last year, is the How he is gonna do this.

• Like 2

Donald Trump Sets Conditions for Defending NATO Allies Against Attack

DAVID E. SANGER and MAGGIE HABERMAN

JULY 20, 2016

CLEVELAND — Donald J. Trump, on the eve of accepting the Republican nomination for president, said Wednesday that if he were elected, he would not pressure Turkey or other authoritarian allies about conducting purges of their political adversaries or cracking down on civil liberties. The United States, he said, has to “fix our own mess” before trying to alter the behavior of other nations.

“I don’t think we have a right to lecture,” Mr. Trump said in a wide-ranging interview in his suite in a downtown hotel here while keeping an eye on television broadcasts from the Republican National Convention. “Look at what is happening in our country,” he said. “How are we going to lecture when people are shooting policemen in cold blood?”

During a 45-minute conversation, he explicitly raised new questions about his commitment to automatically defend NATO allies if they are attacked, saying he would first look at their contributions to the alliance. Mr. Trump re-emphasized the hard-line nationalist approach that has marked his improbable candidacy, describing how he would force allies to shoulder defense costs that the United States has borne for decades, cancel longstanding treaties he views as unfavorable, and redefine what it means to be a partner of the United States.

Trump reignites conservative concerns about his foreign policy views

Paul Mirengoff

July 21, 2016

During an interview with the New York Times yesterday, Donald Trump made two controversial statements about foreign policy. First, in response to the question whether he would come to the aid of NATO allies in the Baltic, Trump said: “If they fulfill their obligations to us, the answer is yes.”

Second, Trump said he would not pressure Turkey or other authoritarian allies not to conduct purges of their political adversaries or crack down on civil liberties. The United States has to “fix our own mess” before trying to alter the behavior of other nations; I don’t think we have a right to lecture,” Trump stated.

Both statements trouble me. Together, they make me less inclined to vote for the tycoon.

(Snip)

I Choose Ted

Jonah Goldberg

July 21, 2016

I find it nothing short of hilarious how so many seasoned political journalists (including many of my colleagues — and betters – at Fox) are visibly shocked and appalled by what Cruz did last night. Ever since I was a kid, the political press – left, right and center – has whined that there’s no drama at conventions any more. It’s all scripted. It’s just an infomercial. It’s just such a shame.

Well here comes Ted Cruz providing exactly the sort of drama they yearned for and many of these same voices are aghast at Ted Cruz’s effrontery. The word has gone out across the land: This is an outrage! Not since Caligula appointed his horse to the Roman senate has a political figure showed such contempt for decorum and the solemnity of politics! Last night and this morning, across the news channels, I’ve watched many people I respect – and a great many more I don’t — talk about what a sore loser Cruz is.

There are two things to say about that. First, many of these people are willingly buying into Manafort’s stagecraft. The Trump team knew about the speech beforehand. The outrage on the floor may have ended up being genuine, but it started out manufactured. I understand that Chris Christie will spew whatever fake outrage his masters instruct, like a trained seal barking for another herring. But I don’t see why so many supposedly seasoned political observers are volunteering for service.

Second, what the Hell are people talking about? This is part of the corruption of Trump. He called Ted Cruz a liar every day and in every way for months (it used to be considered a breach in decorum to straight up call an opponent a liar, never mind use it as a nickname). The insults against his wife, the cavalier birtherism, the disgusting JFK assassination theories about his Dad: These things are known. And yet the big conversation of the day is Ted Cruz’s un-sportsmanlike behavior? For real? But forget Cruz for a moment. For over a year, Trump has degraded politics in some of the most vile ways. His respect for the Republican Party as the home of conservatism is on par with Napoleon’s respect for churches when he converted them into stables.

(Snip)

Well, it's always interesting to read another opinion. Jonah's high-minded refusal to vote for Trump is another vote for Hillary.

I Choose Ted

Jonah Goldberg

July 21, 2016

(Snip)

Well, it's always interesting to read another opinion. Jonah's high-minded refusal to vote for Trump is another vote for Hillary.

No matter who wins...America is screwed. Keeping the House & Senate in Republican control is the best we can hope for.

I could be wrong and leopards can change their spots, and Donald Trump will be a good President...but I doubt it.

• Like 1

SrWoodchuck

I could be wrong and leopards can change their spots, and Donald Trump will be a good President...but I doubt it.

You truly live your tagline, @Valin. If I was ever confused about whether I'm a pessimist or an optimist...I just have to read your posts on Trump & I am enlightened.

Ivanka Trump Raises Issues Father Rarely Mentions: Child Care, Equal Pay

CLEVELAND (AP) — Donald Trump's daughter promised Thursday that her father will fight for equal pay for women and affordable childcare for parents, issues the Republican nominee has rarely if ever addressed on the campaign trail.

Ivanka Trump got an enthusiastic welcome at the Republican National Convention. Her primetime speech elicited repeated applause and much praise from delegates in the arena.

Touting a side of her father rarely seen on the campaign trail, Ivanka Trump cast her father as a leader who would fight to address the student debt problem and would be a champion for equal pay for mothers and single women.Scissors-32x32.png

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/daughter-ivanka-trump-raises-issues-father-rarely-mentions-0

‘I Am Your Voice’ – Trump Accepts GOP Nomination, Promises To Lead A ‘Country Of Law And Order

CLEVELAND — Donald Trump on Thursday formally accepted the Republican Party’s nomination of president, repeatedly promising to lead a “country of law and order” where “safety will be restored.”

“I am your voice,” Trump declared in his Republican National Convention speech at the Quicken Loans arena.

The New York businessman spoke of terrorism, illegal immigration and the recent shootings of police officers. He said the first task of the Trump-Pence administration would be to “liberate” the country from “crime and terrorism and lawlessness.”

“Our convention occurs at a moment of crisis for our nation,” Trump said. “The attacks on our police, and the terrorism in our cities, threaten our very way of life. Any politician who does not grasp this danger is not fit to lead our country.”

Added Trump: “I have a message for all of you: the crime and violence that today afflicts our nation will soon — and I mean very soon — will come to an end. Beginning on January 20th of 2017, safety will be restored.”

Trump was introduced to the crowd by his daughter, Ivanka Trump. He appeared on stage to the theme song from the movie “Air Force One.”

At the beginning of his speech, Trump said: “I will present the facts plainly and honestly. We cannot afford to be so politically correct anymore.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/21/i-am-your-voice-trump-accepts-gop-nomination-promises-to-lead-a-country-of-law-and-order/

'I AM YOUR VOICE': TRUMP BECOMES THE CANDIDATE OF CHANGE

Hope. Confidence. Resolve.

As the country reels from its crises, facing domestic and international terrorism, culture wars orchestrated by the powerful machinery of the left and economic decline robbing generations, these are the qualities that a nation on the edge of despair is desperately looking for.

If there is one defining quality for Donald Trump that sums up his essence, it is confidence. And that is also the quality that the Republican National Convention has also come to embody.

Day after day, speaker after speaker has boldly laid out a confident case for a national resurgence.

This has been an unapologetic convention. A convocation of men and women who refuse to back away from their beliefs. Proudly politically incorrect, the convention rocked Cleveland. Defying the threats and predictions of violence, the protests proved to amount to little more than a nuisance showing once again that confidence and courage can achieve success where compromise and appeasement fail.

Tonight the pattern held true as Sheriff Joe Arpaio told a cheering crowd the simple truth. "We are the only country in the world whose immigration systems put the needs of other nations ahead of ours. We are more concerned with the rights of illegal aliens and criminals than we are with protecting our own country."Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/263597/i-am-your-voice-trump-becomes-candidate-change-daniel-greenfield

Peter Thiel: We Don’t Need Clinton’s Deleted Emails, Her Incompetence Is in Plain Sight

PayPal founder Peter Thiel roasted Hillary Clinton in his address to the Republican National Convention Thursday by saying that the public doesn’t need to see her deleted emails because her “incompetence is in plain sight.”

Before he blasted Clinton on Thursday evening, he began his speech by reminiscing.

“Opportunity was everywhere,” he said. “My dad studied engineering at case western reserve university just down the road from where we are now. Because in 1968, the world’s high-tech capital wasn’t just one city. All of America was high tech. It’s hard to remember this, but our government once– was once high tech, too.”

He then continued by comparing the United States in 1968 to the state that the country is in now.

“When I moved to Cleveland, defense research was laying the foundations for the internet,” he said. “The Apollo Program was just about to put a man on the moon and it was Neil Armstrong from right here in Ohio. The future felt limitless. But today, our government is broken. Our nuclear bases still use floppy discs. Our newest fighter jets can’t even fly in the rain. And it would be kind to say the government software works poorly, because much of the time, it doesn’t even work at all. That is a staggering decline for the country that completed the Manhattan Project.”

Thiel compared this disappointing performance to his experience in Silicon Valley.Scissors-32x32.png

http://freebeacon.com/politics/peter-thiel-we-dont-need-clintons-deleted-emails-her-incompetence-is-in-plain-sight/

Trump Caps Divided Convention with Uncharacteristic Discipline

For an hour, at least, the GOP nominee made Cleveland normal again.

Cleveland — For the better part of four days, the Republican National Convention had been less about Donald Trump than about the flotsam of the Republican party left in his wake — and the attempts of its members to cobble together a life raft in the middle of an angry sea.

Then, for an hour and 15 minutes on Thursday night, Trump brought a modicum of normality to the proceedings with remarks that were tightly scripted and tightly focused, even if they were delivered in a shouted staccato. He took the stage wearing a gleaming red tie as the delegates on the floor broke out into a chant: “Trump! Trump! Trump!”Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/438214/donald-trump-convention-speech-restores-order-divided-republicans

Trump closes convention with stabilizing speech

CLEVELAND — Donald Trump capped off a tumultuous Republican convention here on Thursday night with a speech presenting himself as a strong leader able to impose order on a nation in crisis, while his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton was accused of being complicit in rigging the system against most Americans.

To Trump fans, the address, which ran well over an hour, showed the newly-minted nominee at his most comfortable and energized. To his critics, it offered a gloomy, forbidding vision to a nation that prides itself on optimism.

Trump, who famously loves the spotlight, will now have to yield to Clinton for most of the next week.

Her choice of running mate could well be announced within the next 24 hours and the Democratic National Convention will begin in Philadelphia on Monday.

There, Clinton will be able to roll out political big guns — President Obama and former President Bill Clinton among them — striking a stark contrast with the Republican National Convention. Many high-profile Republicans, including 2012 nominee Mitt Romney and both Presidents Bush, stayed away from Cleveland, as did a large number of senators.Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/288836-trump-closes-convention-with-stabilizing-speech

The Demagogue Rises

Donald Trump delivered the longest, loudest convention speech in recent memory when he accepted the Republican nomination for president Thursday evening. He made no attempt to “pivot to the general election,” moderate his agenda, smooth over rough rhetoric. Gone was Mitt Romney’s Etch-a-Sketch, tossed into a dustbin with George W. Bush’s Freedom Agenda, George H.W. Bush’s Thousand Points of Light, Ronald Reagan’s Morning in America. Trump was his usual self: brash, boisterous, overbearing, defiant, inimitable, roiling with anger over the state of the country and the corruption, ineffectiveness, and arrogance of the nation’s elite. Trump won’t change, won’t learn, won’t listen, won’t apologize, won’t cavil, won’t conform to the traditions of presidential politics or adhere to the norms of political discourse. He doesn’t care about facts, he wants to overturn the postwar international order, he champions the will to power, he mercilessly attacks opponents. He’s a demagogue in dark suits, electric ties. I can only imagine what he’d be capable of if he were competent.

Because he’s not competent. He is actually truly, magnificently inept. The convention was a mess, haphazard, disorganized, weird. The botched roll call vote, Melania’s plagiarism, Ted Cruz’s hand grenade, the leaked speech draft—all of these gaffes and scandals occurred against the backdrop of dismal attendance, chants to put Hillary in prison, bizarre speakers, rambling addresses, early departures, and testimonies to Trump’s greatness. His campaign has practically no money, no advertising, no infrastructure, no grassroots operation. The other day, when he expressed uncertainty about whether the United States would lead NATO in defense of the Baltic States if they were attacked by Russia, Trump made history by provoking an international incident without even being president. Many GOP officials wouldn’t come near the convention, including Ohio’s popular governor. There are two Republican parties for the moment: the party led by Trump and the Republican Party in exile, the party of Kasich and Larry Hogan and Nikki Haley and Charlie Baker and Brian Sandoval and Mark Kirk and Ted Cruz. Election Day won’t just determine who will succeed President Obama. It will also determine the fate of Donald J. Trump’s hostile takeover of the GOP.Scissors-32x32.png

http://freebeacon.com/columns/the-demagogue-rises/

Reince: We Must Unite Against That Corrupt Liar Hillary Clinton

CLEVELAND, Ohio– The chairman of the Republican National Committee, Reince Priebus, tore into Hillary Clinton’s lies about her emails, how her political apparatus leaves nothing but a trail of corruption behind it.

“For Hillary Clinton, the Oval Office…is just another cash cow. Well, I have one word for all this hypocrisy and corruption. Enough,” said Priebus. “She used her post as Secretary of State to grease the wheels for Democrat lobbyists, special interests, and political insiders connected to the corrupt Clinton Machine,” he added. “Her family foundation took millions of dollars in donations from countries notorious for human rights abuses and funneling money to radical Islamic terrorists.”

Priebus added that Trump would protect the rights of the unborn, enforce our immigration laws, and protect our Second Amendment rights. The chairman’s narrative was clear: If you want to end the corruption and the lies emanating from the Clintons, you have to vote for Trump. For those who are hurting after eight years of Obama, Priebus had one thing to say, “Hold on, help is coming.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2016/07/21/reince-we-must-unite-against-corrupt-liar-hillary-clinton-n2196013

Ivanka Trump: 'Motherhood' Has Created 'Wage Discrepancy'

(CNSNews.com) - Introducing her father at the Republican National Convention Thursday night, Ivanka Trump made a pitch specifically to her generation -- and to mothers.

She said that "motherhood," more than gender, has created income inequality; and she described herself as belonging to neither political party.

"Like many of my fellow millennials, I do not consider myself categorically Republican or Democrat. More than party affiliation, I vote on based on what I believe is right, for my family and for my country. Sometimes it’s a tough choice. That is not the case this time," she said, pitching her father as the one who can "make America great again."

She described Donald Trump as "color blind and gender neutral," someone who has successfully navigated the "meritocracies" and "melting pots" found at his construction sites.

Ivanka, in a pitch to female voters, echoed Democrat calls for equal pay and "quality child care."Scissors-32x32.png

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/ivanka-trump-i-do-not-consider-myself-categorically-republican-or-democrat

I have read a couple of articles over the last few months

about Ivanka and Chelsea being very good friends.

Trump takes a victory lap

Scott Johnson

July 22 1016

Donald Trump is giving an utterly bizarre if perectly characteristic statement. He is free associating as he highlights great moments from the primary season. He is trashing Ted Cruz. He is revisiting the source of the personal offense Cruz has taken. He disclaims a desire for Cruz’s endorsement. He vouches again for the National Enquirer.

He proclaims the ease with which he dispatched his GOP rivala. He reviews his rise in the polls. He disparages journalists who did not believe in him the way he believes in himself.

(Snip)

What is going on here? The Republican Party has hitched its caboose to an utterly bizarre character. I would prefer not to see a President Hillary but I can’t celebrate Trump or pretend everything is copacetic. It’s not even within the realm of normality.

righteousmomma

I believe what Scott Johnson is referring to is Trump's long thank you off the cuff morning after speech to all the people who had helped behind the scenes and in front from stage crafters to supporter friends to GOP officials like Priebus. I enjoyed it. Some of it was really funny. I never remember a candidate coming back to thank everyone and was actually covered by the cameras. It was very refreshing.