Tuscan Marinated Ribs Recipe

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Tuscan Marinated Ribs Recipe

Ingredients

2 cups My Wife's Italian Dressing (click the link for recipe)

2 tablespoons table salt

1 slab of pork baby back ribs or St. Louis cut

About the marinade. You can use a bottled Italian salad dressing, but I prefer my wifes recipe which uses a lot of herbs. Also, a lot of bottled dressings have thickeners and gums to keep it from separating. They also keep it from penetrating meat. If you do use a bottled dressing/marinade, do not use a Caesar or anything with cheese.

Method

1) Pour the marinade and salt into a large zippered bag, zip and shake.

2) Cut the slab in half and add the halves to the bag, coat all sides, and toss them in the fridge for at least 1 hour, 6 is better. Every 30 minutes shake up the bag.

3) Roast the ribs low and slow with indirect heat at about 225°F. No smoke. That's right, leave out the wood. We're going smokeless here. We want the pork and herb flavors to dominate.

4) Every 30 minutes or so mop the meaty side of ribs with the marinade until it runs out. Do not mop during the last 30 minutes to prevent contamination with microbes transferred from the meat to the marinade. Click here to learn how to tell when the ribs are ready.

6) For an extra treat, serve with caramelized onions and a little balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/tuscan_marinated_ribs.html

@Draggingtree - I Have ribs in the oven as we speakwink.png This is the recipe I usually use , It's Tony Roma's. I am doing the pre-cooking in the oven part right now. I have gotten lazy over the years and am just doing Sweet Baby Rays today. I have them in the tin foil with sauce now and when they are done, I will take them out of the foil and drain the fat. When it is time to put them on the grill, I will add more sauce and just put them on long enough to reheat and brown the sauce a bit.

Tony Romas Baby Back ribs

Servings/Yield

4 servings

• 4 # Baby back pork ribs
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • ½ cup dark corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon tabasco pepper sauce

Method

Combine all of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a saucepan over high heat. Use a whisk to blend the ingredients until smooth. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered. In 30 to 45 minutes, when the mixture thickens, remove it from the heat. If you want a thicker sauce, heat it longer. If you make the sauce too thick, thin it with more vinegar.

Cut full slabs in to serving size pieces. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Tear off pieces of aluminum foil that are roughly 6 inches longer than the ribs. Coat the ribs, front and back, with BBQ sauce. Place racks of ribs, one at a time, onto a piece of foil lengthwise and wrap it tightly. Place the ribs into the oven with the seam of the foil wrap facing up. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until you see the meat of the ribs shrinking back from the cut ends of the bones by about 1/2 inch, This long cooking time will ensure that the meat will be very tender and fall off the bone. Remove the ribs from the foil and smother them with additional BBQ sauce. Be sure to save some sauce for later. Grill the ribs on the hot BBQ for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or just until you see several spots of charred blackened sauce. Watch for flames and do not burn.

• START-NOTES

Notes

If you have time, prepare the ribs in the foil and sauce as described and marinate them in your fridge overnight.

Draggingtree

@Draggingtree - I Have ribs in the oven as we speakwink.png This is the recipe I usually use , It's Tony Roma's. I am doing the pre-cooking in the oven part right now. I have gotten lazy over the years and am just doing Sweet Baby Rays today. I have them in the tin foil with sauce now and when they are done, I will take them out of the foil and drain the fat. When it is time to put them on the grill, I will add more sauce and just put them on long enough to reheat and brown the sauce a bit.

Tony Romas Baby Back ribs

Servings/Yield

4 servings

• 4 # Baby back pork ribs
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • ½ cup dark corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon tabasco pepper sauce

Method

Combine all of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a saucepan over high heat. Use a whisk to blend the ingredients until smooth. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered. In 30 to 45 minutes, when the mixture thickens, remove it from the heat. If you want a thicker sauce, heat it longer. If you make the sauce too thick, thin it with more vinegar.

Cut full slabs in to serving size pieces. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Tear off pieces of aluminum foil that are roughly 6 inches longer than the ribs. Coat the ribs, front and back, with BBQ sauce. Place racks of ribs, one at a time, onto a piece of foil lengthwise and wrap it tightly. Place the ribs into the oven with the seam of the foil wrap facing up. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until you see the meat of the ribs shrinking back from the cut ends of the bones by about 1/2 inch, This long cooking time will ensure that the meat will be very tender and fall off the bone. Remove the ribs from the foil and smother them with additional BBQ sauce. Be sure to save some sauce for later. Grill the ribs on the hot BBQ for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or just until you see several spots of charred blackened sauce. Watch for flames and do not burn.

• START-NOTES

Notes

If you have time, prepare the ribs in the foil and sauce as described and marinate them in your fridge overnight.

I"ll try this recipe next time around cool.png

• 1 year later...