REQUIRED: AN ORIGINALIST TO REPLACE SCALIA, NO MATTER WHO IS ELECTED

Draggingtree

required-an-originalist-to-replace-scalia-no-matter-who-is-electedPatterico :

2/18/2016

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 7:40 am

I am about to say something I’ve not heard from anyone on the right. A position so bold, so shocking, and so unthinkable that you haven’t ever heard it uttered out loud — unless you already read the headline of this post.

As long as the Senate is controlled by Republicans, the only candidate they should accept as a replacement for Antonin Scalia is an originalist — even if a Democrat wins the next presidential election.

I often hear people on the right say that we need to adopt the tactics of the left. When this means deception, trickery, and other dishonest tactics — and yes, some people on the right do advocate this — I cannot agree. But there is one thing that I think the left does better than we do, and I think that needs to change, and that is: using the power they possess, as ruthlessly as necessary to achieve their objectives.

This is not to say that Democrats don’t worry about how their actions look. It is to say that they don’t change what they do based on concerns about how their actions will look. So they do what they want anyway, and just portray it in the best possible light — an easier task for them than for the GOP, to be sure, since Democrats know that Big Media will have their back. Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

The GOP Sitcom Just Got Serious

Kurt Schlichter | Feb 15, 2016

The stakes are monumental.

Do Americans have a right to keep and bear arms?

Can the government prosecute someone for criticizing Hillary Clinton?

Are we going to watch our country go into convulsions?

The death of Justice Antonin Scalia has brought into harsh focus what we all knew were the stakes in this election – the composition of the Supreme Court, the final obstacle to complete progressive control. But we put that aside as we watched, and sometimes even enjoyed, the antics of Donald Trump. We’ve also tolerated the sad decline of Dr. Ben Carson from forthright hero to whiny, unready also-ran, the bizarre rush to the left of John Kasich, and the entitlement ego trip that is the quixotic crusade of Jeb Bush.

The nonsense needs to end. This just got real.

The next president will appoint Justice Scalia’s replacement, and thereby determine whether the Supreme Court will remain a bulwark of liberty or a tool of liberal fascism Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2016/02/15/the-gop-sitcom-just-got-serious-n2119584

• Like 1