Trump wins and probably wins big [updated continuously]

Valin

trump-wins-and-probably-wins-big-to-be-updated.phpPower Line:

Paul Mirengoff

February 9, 2016

The networks have called Donald Trump the winner on the Republican side, and it looks like the margin of victory will be large. Currently, John Kasich, who is in second place, has only half of Trump’s vote total.

It’s a good win for Trump, but how good?

(Snip)

UPDATE: Chris Christie’s suicide mission looks like a success. Currently, the target, Marco Rubio, is in fifth place with around 10 percent. Christie is in sixth place with less than eight percent.

When Christie seemed to surge in New Hampshire two months or so ago, he said Republicans were remembering why they had liked him in the first place. Unfortunately, for Christie, the more they saw of him in New Hampshire, the more they remembered why they had then grown to dislike him.

Ed Morrissey

(Snip)

It seems pretty clear that Donald Trump will have a good night; even if polling inflates his standing with non-viable voters, he should score well enough to retain some of his double-digit polling lead over the rest of the field. It’s the silver-medal battle that will captivate observers, and it’s a toss-up. Polling in the last week has put Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, and John Kasich in the runner-up slot, and with enough voters making up their minds late, it’s impossible to figure out a favorite.

With that said, here’s what’s at stake for the pack:

Rubio — I tend to discount the impact of a bad debate exchange on the subsequent vote; Cruz had arguably his poorest debate showing right before winning the Iowa caucuses. Rubio needs to finish in the top three, and probably second place, to keep donors and backers from getting worried. Anything less than third means South Carolina’s probably out of reach.

Cruz – He just needs to have a decent finish in the pack behind Trump. Winning Iowa gave him a pass here. If he finishes significantly below 10%, it might be a problem, but otherwise he’ll be fine. A second-place finish would likely turn the rest of the primaries into a two-way race, however.

Kasich – If he doesn’t get a second-place finish, he’s all but done. Where is his path to the nomination without it?

Bush – He needs a top-three finish to keep his credibility and his donors viable for another couple of events. Like Kasich, though, it’s tough to see what Bush’s path to the nomination would be from here. Maybe Nevada, but that’s a caucus state, and Bush isn’t a grassroots candidate.

Christie — If he finishes out of the medals, he’s done. Unlike the others above, there’s been no hint of polling movement for Christie, not even after showing up Rubio … which is why I doubt that the Rubio campaign is all that concerned about the impact from the debate.

Oh, there’s also the Democratic primary, too. The only suspense there is how badly Bernie Sanders thumps Hillary Clinton. I’ll guess that Sanders gets a 15-point win.

(Snip)

Hot Air

9:16 – Hillary is railing about secret, unaccountable money in politics, and then argues that Citizens United damaged democracy by attacking … her. This is supposed to be a concession speech, but it’s clear that she’s positioning herself as Chief Victim of the United States. Whatevs.

9:10 – Fox, ABC, and NBC calling second place for Kasich with 27% of precincts reporting. The battle shifts to third place, and Cruz is edging out Bush for it at the moment.

Townhall/Tip Sheet

Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-VT) certainly used his home court advantage, beating former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by almost double-digits. With 15 percent of the vote in, Sanders is leading Clinton 58/40–and destroyed her with voters who held trust/honesty and “cares about folks like me” in high regard. As Cortney noted earlier this evening, only five percent of New Hampshire Democrats viewed the former first lady as honest and trustworthy.

CBS News Politics Verified account
‏@CBSPolitics
More than 4 out 5 women aged 18-29 voted for @BernieSanders in tonight's NH Democratic primary

Ca0OJ3aWcAYaTIp.png

CBS News Politics

@CBSPolitics

BREAKING: @CBSnews projects @berniesanders wins NH Democratic primary: http://cbsn.ws/1Q7Py6s
7:00 PM - 9 Feb 2016

Townhall/Tip Sheet

Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-VT) certainly used his home court advantage, beating former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by almost double-digits. With 15 percent of the vote in, Sanders is leading Clinton 58/40–and destroyed her with voters who held trust/honesty and “cares about folks like me” in high regard. As Cortney noted earlier this evening, only five percent of New Hampshire Democrats viewed the former first lady as honest and trustworthy.

CBS News Politics Verified account

‏@CBSPolitics

More than 4 out 5 women aged 18-29 voted for @BernieSanders in tonight's NH Democratic primary

Ca0OJ3aWcAYaTIp.png

CBS News Politics

@CBSPolitics

BREAKING: @CBSnews projects @berniesanders wins NH Democratic primary: http://cbsn.ws/1Q7Py6s

7:00 PM - 9 Feb 2016

The only two demographics Hillary won were 65 and up and 200K and up.

@clearvision

Politics aside, I never did get the appeal of Hillary. She's just not a very good candidate. Why she thought she could win? I really thought she'd be gone be Christmas, that the scandals misunderstandings would get her.

@clearvision

Politics aside, I never did get the appeal of Hillary. She's just not a very good candidate. Why she thought she could win? I really thought she'd be gone be Christmas, that the scandals misunderstandings would get her.

She does not even have Bill to help her now. He is really out of it.

@clearvision

She does not even have Bill to help her now. He is really out of it.

Fruits of a "Rich Full Life"?

WestVirginiaRebel

It was a yuge night for both him and Sanders. Sanders just went through a litany of liberal pledges, free everything and make the rich pay for it, etc.

Donald's speech is actually quite classy.

It was a yuge night for both him and Sanders. Sanders just went through a litany of liberal pledges, free everything and make the rich pay for it, etc.

Donald's speech is actually quite classy.

Have no fear he'll be back in form tomorrow.

You'll be so happy, America! Winning!

I listened to 37 seconds of DT's speech...that was all I could stand. I really really really can't stand the man....and don't get me started on his followers.