GOP wants end to pro-Bush attacks on Rubio

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
268457-gop-wants-end-to-pro-bush-attacks-on-rubioThe Hill:

An all-out assault on Sen. Marco Rubio by groups aligned with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush is angering GOP senators, who fear it could hurt the party’s chances of capturing the White House.

Right to Rise, a pro-Bush super PAC, has spent an estimated $20 million against Rubio. It is expected to launch a new ad this weekend featuring a clip of former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who endorsed Rubio Tuesday, fumbling to name one of his accomplishments.

One senator who has endorsed Bush, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), is urging the PAC to rein in its attacks.

“I would rather have any leadership PAC support the person they were formed to support, not by running down others,” Hatch told The Hill. “I would not do that. I’d tell them to do things that support Jeb.”

Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), who is neutral in the presidential primary, also called for Bush allies to hold their fire.

“I agree with Orrin,” he said. “I don’t think it’s working for Jeb. I certainly don’t think it’s working for the best course of action that [speaker] Paul Ryan [R-Wis.] talked about for the party to be successful.

________

Desperate measures?