Coffee Shop

Rheo

Well, the much anticipated speech is over and I don't feel any safer. Went to a Christmas program at church this afternoon with bell choirs, the choirs from all 3 services, Bible readings, carols, etc. It was wonderful, but in the back of my mind was the possibility of some terrorist(s) slamming through the doors at the back of the church and mowing everybody down. Run, hide, fight came to mind. Also wondered if anyone had a gun with them for protection. Isn't that great while enjoying to the point of tears a Christmas program at my church? sad.png

I've been having those same thoughts.....at concerts, in church, at a football game, at a store..........What would I do? Where would I run to? Where would I hide?

My son has a concealed carry permit, too, @SrWoodchuck, and showed me the cool thing he puts it in, near his front pocket, I think, and how quickly he can get it out. I'm actually thinking of asking him to take me to the place he practices his shooting to see if I can do it. I've never held a gun in my hand in my life. I hope you are right about some people in church carrying guns. Isn't that SAD?!!!! I've been wondering why no one at that Christmas party in San Bernardino had a gun. There were 75 people there. But of course it was CA, and maybe they weren't allowed in the civic center. I am obviously one of those people they are talking about in the news who has been deeply shaken by this latest trauma. It can happen anywhere, and some nut case who isn't even Muslim might want to try it.

Sweet @nickydog & Sweet @mozartlover

Good for you! Conquer your fear of guns, first. No one will insist you carry one, but understand the operation, function & potential consequences/safety features/responsibility of what (to me) is only a tool of self-defense. A human hand & brain controls everything. That is the weapon. It is also the way to understand & hopefully be less afraid of guns.

I grew up in Montana, and started shooting with my father at around 10 years old. Gun safety was drilled into me & I have tried to do the same with my children & grandchildren.

Ask my grandson, Caleb, (or Kacie, Kiley, Peyton & Lincoln) about any firearm & the first thing they will say is, "It's always loaded." I ask them how they know it's loaded & they'll say, "It's always loaded until you put it on 'safe' and remove the magazine/open the cylinder and remove the bullets. You then have to 'rack-the-slide' & remove any round that is in the chamber. You look down the barrel from the breech. Only then is it unloaded." They know they must never have their finger near the trigger while examining or holding a firearm & it must always be pointed in a safe direction.

When using a gun, you must practice "trigger discipline"....which means that you keep your finger alongside the barrel, and away from the trigger, until you pull it to fire. Watch film of police officers, military....even idiots like ISIS...keeping their fingers off the trigger. My weapon has "indents" along both sides of the frame, that are natural placements for doing this.

If you go to a firing range, they will most likely have Range Officers, that have complete control over all shooters. Before firing your weapons, they will have everyone open the breeches/cylinders & remove any ammunition, along with standing behind a line, well away from your weapon, as they walk down & examine each shooters stand.

You may only move to the firing line after they've inspected & O.K.'d each shooter & weapon.

I was trained by a retired SEAL, who also trained Brinks Armored drivers & armed security contractors. It was part of a required 4-6 hour class before I could even apply for my CCW. It would be a great class for anyone to attend, just to familiarize themselves with weapons. (I think it was $90.00@ for the class, and I paid for both myself & Sweet E, as an anniversary present. The license was another $100.00 [for 5 years] to the Jefferson County Sheriff, who fingerprinted & photographed each of us)

One of the things discussed in the class, which is important whether you carry or not; is situational awareness. In this modern world, we need to be aware, not afraid, of our everyday situations.

Look around you & assess people and areas that will provide safety and/or egress. Make it a habit & it will not make your life any more miserable, it will put you at ease, which will be the right frame of mind to counter any aggression & violence.

Little things like being ready to turn sideways, crouch & always keep moving. (Make yourself a smaller target) Move laterally & back, away from danger.

Keep one eye closed as you enter from a lighted to a dark place ( a SEAL trick) so that your brain does not have to adjust quickly & lose reaction time.

When assessing places of safety, learn the difference between "cover" & "concealment."

Cover provides a barrier from a projectile penetrating your body. A car's engine block & even wheel hub, provide better protection than a car door. Concrete/steel is better than wood or drywall.

Concealment only makes you a hidden target. (Which is better than being in the open, but still a crapshoot)

If you find yourself in a dangerous situation, don't panic. That's a hard statement to live by, but if you panic, you've given up all control to someone else; which means that you are at their mercy & they may not be giving any that day.

Fight, and use any tool at hand. A pencil, car keys, bug spray. A car antennae makes a fine weapon of self defense (if you can find one) by snapping it off & using it as a whip. Carry a 3" knife & use it to slash & stab, while keeping it held away & almost behind you, with your other forearm up in their face.

We've insulated ourselves in our own little safe pods (cars & homes) and have forgotten that there are things & people that are not our friends. Courtesy & calm demeanor go a long way in putting others at ease, but look people in the eye when you smile.

Interaction with love is where I want my life to exist, but I'm a big imposing "bear" of a guy, so most people give me room to move. You can still project your need for "space" and move away, or let people approach as you determine their intent.

"Make up your mind that you are going to survive, no matter what."

The SEAL that taught our class said to say that mantra every day, upon waking & going to sleep....along with, "I'm going to end this gunfight, not them!"

You are worth it. For yourself & your family & friends.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Lt. Col Ralph Peters Calls Obama A ‘Total P***y’, Stacy Dash Says Obama ‘Couldn’t Give A S**t’ About ISIS, Both Get Suspended By Fox

Stuart Varney was probably never a lawyer. Never ask a question of your witness if you do not know what the answer will be.

Scissors-32x32.png

Via The Blaze:

Stacy Dash, an actress best known for her role in “Clueless,” said today that Obama “couldn’t give a s**t” about the dangers posed by the Islamic State.

Earlier, Peters, a retired U.S. Army lieutenant colonel, had to be told by an anchor on the Fox Business Network that contributors can’t use profane language on the news network after he called Obama a “p*ssy.”

“Earlier today, FOX contributors Lt. Col. Ralph Peters and Stacey Dash made comments on different programs that were completely inappropriate and unacceptable for our air,” Fox Senior Executive Vice President of Programming Bill Shine said in a statement. “FOX Business Network and FOX News Channel do not condone the use of such language, and have suspended both Peters and Dash for two weeks.”

Via iOTWReports

WooHoo....Lt.Col. Ralph Peters for President!

Sr Woodchuck! Good info and advice on concealed carry! I've been carrying for years, including to church and anywhere else it's legal.

Must be a lot of other people gravitating toward the same mindset... I saw today there have been 100 million guns sold in US since Obama became president. That speaks volumes.

• Like 1

Sr Woodchuck! Good info and advice on concealed carry! I've been carrying for years, including to church and anywhere else it's legal.

Must be a lot of other people gravitating toward the same mindset... I saw today there have been 100 million guns sold in US since Obama became president. That speaks volumes.

@RandyM

I read that after the Paris terror shooting and Obarky's gun control speech (for which the European press openly called him "an A**HOLE) we went into Thanksgiving. The next day, Black Friday, more guns were sold in one period than at any time in U.S. history. I think it was 186,000, for one day. Kind of an FU to Oblunder.

Glad to hear you're carrying. It isn't a right unless you use it. I consider it a responsibility to myself & my family & friends, that I gladly take. I've always felt that a woman especially, has the right to dispense justice at the point of a crime against her. I'm just old & don't feel like taking a beatin'.

Sheep or sheepdog? Sheepdog please!

• Like 3

And she came crawling back...

Proof positive that capitalism works!

rush%20shari_zps6mimxboj.png

I heard a Shari's Berries commercial on Rush's show today... one of those narrated by Rush himself.

This is especially funny since Shari was very vocal about her dropping Rush after the Sandra Fluke controversy in 2012.

I guess that "flyover" dittoheads have cash to spend at Christmas time too.

• Like 4

Jeh Johnson & Company should be...."D'OH Homeland Security

http://theamericanmirror.com/video-homeland-refugee-screening-coordinator-cant-answer-basic-questions-about-program/

The Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Office of Screening Coordination in the Department of Homeland Security had one job Thursday: answer questions about the review of Syrian refugees.

She couldn’t do it.

“I would like to see if you could give us some numbers, so that the committee and the American people have this information,” Ohio U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan, co-chairman of a joint subcommittee hearing on “Terrorism and the Visa Waiver Program,” told senior DHS employee Kelli Ann Burriesci yesterday.

In a 5 minute exchange posted to YouTube, he questioned: “How many Syrian refugees have entered the United States in the last year?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t bring any of the refugee numbers with me, because I was prepared to talk about visa waiver, but I can certainly have us send that to you,” she replied.

Do you know how many Americans have traveled to Syria in the last year?” Jordan pressed.

“I don’t have that number on me either,” Burriesci said.

Jordan: “So don’t know how many Americans have traveled and then returned?”

“I don’t have that number on me,” she said.

How many visa program overstays are there currently in the United States?” Jordan asked.

Burriesci: “Sorry, I didn’t bring that number with me.”

The exchange clearly frustrated lawmakers.

Jordan: “Ms. Burriesci, when I look at the witness list, you have the longest title: Deputy Assistant Secretary Screening Coordination Office of Policy Department of Homeland Security. … It says screening coordination, now what screening are you coordinating? Is that inter agency or intra agency?”

Burriesci: “It’s both.”

“And the two biggest issues we’re dealing with right now, we had these terrible tragedies, these terrible terrorist attacks, and we’re talking about the refugee issue and the visa waiver program issue, and you can’t give us any numbers on either program?” Jordan questioned.

Burriesci: “So I came prepared to talk about the visa waiver program …”

Jordan cut her off there: “I just asked you how many visa program overstays are there and you said I don’t know.”

Burriesci: “Sir, I don’t have a number.”

Scissors-32x32.png

TheAmericanMirror via WeaselZippers

**************************************************************************************************

Just read that ISIS is believed to have a "passport printing machines" & blank passports.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-intel-isis-passport-printing-machine-blank-passports/story?id=35700681

"Homeland Security" is more than just an incongruity...

• Like 1

The Week in Pictures: Trump This

Steven Hayward

December 12, 2015

Here’s (one of) the problems with Trump: there’s an old rule that when your opponents are self-destructing, you get out of the way. With Obama’s pathetic response to the meaning of the San Bernardino attack, it is understandable that aspiring presidents would want to pile on. But jeepers.

(Snip)

Obama-Background-checks.jpg?zoom=1.5&res

(Snip)

Obamas-Speech.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=462%2C

(Snip)

Never-Doubt-Eastwood-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&r

(Snip)

Trump-a-Liberal.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580%

(Snip)

Trump-News-panel.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580

(Snip)

Idaho-Gun-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580%2

(Snip)

Zero-Hours-of-Work-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&res

(Snip)

Yoko-Ono-Energy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580%

(Snip)

Bacon-Cheeseburger-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&res

(Snip)

Power-Venn.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=559%2C548

Army-v-Navy.png?zoom=1.5&resize=580%2C38

And finally. . .

Hot-Gunner-copy.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=580%

• Like 3

Why do I get the feeling he has other....issues.

Now I'm a fairly simple guy, so IMO if you can write your name in the snow...you're a man......and

2F478CE700000578-3356084-image-m-24_1449

If this is how you dress....you're a freak...run away to the circus.

Thank sooooo much for sharing

Edited by Valin
BTW
  • Like 1

Well, isn't that wonderful. "She" gets to color and play and let the grown-ups take care of "her." No responsibilities, except for plowing a few driveways in the winter. Sick, sick, sick.

Well, isn't that wonderful. "She" gets to color and play and let the grown-ups take care of "her." No responsibilities, except for plowing a few driveways in the winter. Sick, sick, sick.

15 minutes of fame?