TIFF: Dan Rather Chokes Up at 'Truth' Premiere, Praises Film for Accuracy

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
tiff-2015-dan-rather-chokes-822616Hollywood Reporter:

Iconic CBS news anchor Dan Rather on Saturday praised the Robert Redford-starring Rathergate movie Truth for its accuracy and performances ahead of its world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival.

"Naturally I was pleased, and pleasantly surprised. This film is very accurate. A film called Truth should be accurate," Rather told The Hollywood Reporter during a prescreening party. James Vanderbilt's movie centers on Rather's 2006 exit from CBS after a 60 Minutes investigation two years earlier into President George W. Bush’s alleged draft-dodging during the Vietnam war.

Rather praised the performances of Redford as the famed CBS newsman and Cate Blanchett as his CBS 60 Minutes producer Mary Mapes. "The acting is superior. I think it's an emotional film. Of course people will say I found it emotional because it's about me. But I say that as objectively as I can," he said.

The movie, which played to a standing ovation at the Winter Garden Theater, paints a highly sympathetic picture of Rather's role in the scandal that cost him his job at CBS. After the screening, Rather appeared on stage with director Vanderbilt and actors Elisabeth Moss and Topher Grace (Redford did not attend).

________

Dan Blather likes it (gag alert)

But Wait! It Gets Better!

“Truth”: Not the Only Bad News From Toronto

John Hinderaker

September 13, 2015

(Snip)

Director John Madden, coming off the success of helming his sequel The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, is in negotiations to direct Ms. Sloane [Ed.: The title has been variously reported.], an original script from first-time screenwriter Jonathan Perera that centers on a lobbyist who takes on the powerful gun lobby to push through federal gun control legislation. …

[Jessica Chastain] would play the lead, the seasoned lobbyist who, with her small team of politicos, attempts to pass the hot-button legislation into federal law while going up against well-financed and unscrupulous members of the gun lobby.

(Snip)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

We're talkin BOLD....Out There On The Edge....Speaking Truth To Power...Taking On The Man!