What Makes Donald Run?

Geee

what-makes-donald-runNational Review:

He’s giving fed-up Republicans something other candidates are not.

Donald Trump has at least three things going for him.

One, the mood of the country remains foul and fed-up — and volatile to the point that conventional wisdom is hardly reliable. Two, Trump has turned invective and narcissism into an art form, and his simplistic putdowns seem to garner ever more attention even as they become more monotonous and banal — largely because they are directed at a despised media elite. Three, the Democratic party is in worse shape than the Republican party. Apparently Trump’s attacks can still safely be savored as long as the Democrats are imploding.

Trump’s successes have come about not because of a brilliant new Contract with America or because he is reassuringly conservative on the issues. His diehard supporters — and even those who would never confess that they derive a perverse and stealthy delight from watching him put down the New York/Washington political and journalistic elite — don’t care that just in the last decade he has flipped on all the issues. They apparently ignore the fact that Trump is often self-contradictory, as he wings his way through endless interviews and blustery press conferences.

What fuels his candidacy is attitude — in particular, disdain for those who undeservedly believe they warrant deference. Behind the bombast and the waving hands, he gives the impression of having contempt for the ruling class, of which he is so intimately a part. He winks at us as if to say, “I hang out with these people, and, trust me, they are even worse than you suspect.” His voice has the brash accents of the New York sidewalk, rather than a passive-aggressive Ivy League modulation. His narcissism is unlike Barack Obama’s serious sort (e.g., “I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director”). Indeed, Trump’s egotism is a caricature of narcissism itself, in which the only adjectives are superlatives and the only measure of being “great” and “a winner” is net worth or celebrity. Yet somehow TRUMP plastered over everything does not bother people as much as Barack Obama’s faux-Greek columns, Latinate mottos, and promises to cool the cosmos.Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

Trump’s Pal Al

On a frigid January night in 1988, 16,000 spectators packed into Atlantic City’s Convention Center to see 21-year-old Mike Tyson take on boxing legend Larry Holmes, 38. The event, marketed as “Heavyweight History,” sold out, with an even larger audience watching as Home Box Office televised the event. In a ring emblazoned with Trump Plaza branding, Tyson repeatedly knocked down Holmes, until, to great uproar, the referee stopped the fight five seconds before the end of the fourth round.

But Holmes and Tyson weren’t the only spectacular pair in the arena that night. Leaving the Convention Center, amid fans vociferously enraptured with the night’s drama, was Donald Trump — and not far behind him, “in a light blue suit with his ever-present Martin Luther King Jr. peace medallion resting on his barrel chest, was Mr. [Al] Sharpton,” the New York Times reported.

Sharpton and Trump forged an unlikely friendship over Atlantic City boxing deals that has lasted for decades, through ups and downs. Even as the Tawana Brawley scandal unfolded and Sharpton faced a 67-count indictment involving how he used funding for his youth organization, Trump remained a prominent supporter of the agitator, numerous sources close to the two men tell National Review.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/423337/trumps-pal-al-sharpton

President...Donald...Trump....Really?

As the saying goes "I report - you decide" wink.png

Oh make no mistake. It took me all of 37 seconds to make that decision...not just no, but Hell No.

My hope is that as actual voting takes place in the primaries and caucuses, people think about this and get serious about who we want sitting in the oval office. Because the next President Will be a Republican.

Back to VDH -- interesting that Trump is 69. For some reason it never occurred to me to wonder what his age is. He does seem to be pretty darn healthy.

• Like 1

Back to VDH -- interesting that Trump is 69. For some reason it never occurred to me to wonder what his age is. He does seem to be pretty darn healthy.

I was trying to think back, and I think that you might have to go back to the 1800's to find a President that CAME into office with light hair - although most of them leave that waysmile.png