Obama Will Remove President McKinley's Name from Mount McKinley

Geee

white-house-renames-mount-mckinley-denali-eve-tripCNS News:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration will change the name of North America's tallest mountain peak from Mount McKinley to Denali, the White House said Sunday, a major symbolic gesture to Alaska Natives on the eve of President Barack Obama's historic visit to Alaska.

By renaming the peak Denali, an Athabascan word meaning "the high one," Obama waded into a sensitive and decades-old conflict between residents of Alaska and Ohio. Alaskans have informally called the mountain Denali for years, but the federal government recognizes its name invoking the 25th president, William McKinley, who was born in Ohio and assassinated early in his second term.

"With our own sense of reverence for this place, we are officially renaming the mountain Denali in recognition of the traditions of Alaska Natives and the strong support of the people of Alaska," said Interior Secretary Sally Jewell.

Ohio politicians reacted angrily, although it wasn't immediately clear if or how they could stop it. Rep. Bob Gibbs, R-Ohio, said McKinley deserved to be honored, and invited his colleagues to join him to try to block what he called Obama's "constitutional overreach."Scissors-32x32.png

Alaskans concerned Obama visit a ploy to highlight green legacy

Scissors-32x32.pngThe Inupiat people, who live in ANWR on the northern coastal plain, also oppose Mr. Obama’s proposal because they support energy development on their own lands. Arctic Slope Regional Corp., an Alaska Native regional corporation, owns subsurface rights to land within ANWR, and Kaktovik Inupiat Corp. owns the surface rights.

Alaska state Rep. Benjamin Nageak, a Barrow Democrat who was born in ANWR and is a member of the Inupiat tribe, objected to the president’s proposal when it was announced earlier this year.

“We have thousands and thousands of acres of land that our people in the state of Alaska, especially in ANWR, have title to, and [they] cannot even use that resource to enrich themselves,” Mr. Nageak said. “That is wrong. When you give the people the ability to enrich themselves, you don’t lock up their lands so they don’t do anything else but just sit on it, and nothing comes out of it except the renewable resources that we depend on.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/30/alaskans-concerned-obama-visit-a-ploy-highlight-gr/

Cyber_Liberty

I use the "Istanbul, not Constantinople" rule, named after the silly song sung to the tune of "Puttin' on the Ritz." The Turks changed the name of the city because it was theirs to do, and if Alaskans want "Denali," then it's fine by me. Obama's method, motive and timing are likely to be suspect because that's how he rolls, but I'm staying out of this one.

• Like 1

I use the "Istanbul, not Constantinople" rule, named after the silly song sung to the tune of "Puttin' on the Ritz." The Turks changed the name of the city because it was theirs to do, and if Alaskans want "Denali," then it's fine by me. Obama's method, motive and timing are likely to be suspect because that's how he rolls, but I'm staying out of this one.

Well, it appears according to the second article that the native people are more concerned with getting to sell their oil to make money than the name of the mountain. That's not in his agenda though.

“The High one.” That’s the Athabascan (a Native American) meaning behind Denali, the word for the mountain-formerly-known-as-McKinley.

And if you don’t get why that’s funny or ironic, here is a passage about Barack Obama’s “Choom Gang” to refresh any foggy memories, from Jonathan Karl of ABC News:

In his 1995 memoir “Dreams of My Father,” Obama writes about smoking pot almost like Dr. Seuss wrote about eating green eggs and ham. As a high school kid, Obama wrote, he would smoke “in a white classmate’s sparkling new van,” he would smoke “in the dorm room of some brother” and he would smoke “on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids.”

He would smoke it here and there. He would smoke it anywhere.

Of course, this launched the ‘autojokes’ on Twitter...

Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/08/407736-the-denali-word-obama-chosefor-mt-mckinley-has-a-hidden-meaning-thats-already-spawning-jokes/?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=afternoon-newsletter&utm_medium=owned

Screenshot-8_31_2015-8_29_41-AM.jpg