WITH JUSTICE ALITO

Geee

I: Path to the Supreme Court (00:15 – 34:35)

KRISTOL: Hi, I’m Bill Kristol. Welcome to CONVERSATIONS, and it’s a great honor to have here today Justice Samuel Alito. Thank you for joining us, Justice Alito.

ALITO: My pleasure. Thanks for inviting me.

KRISTOL: Good to have you. So how did you learn you were going to become a Supreme Court Justice? That must be a striking moment in one’s life.

ALITO: It was. I remember it exactly. I was sitting at my kitchen table at home in New Jersey, drinking a cup of coffee and –

KRISTOL: You were a judge at this point?

ALITO: I was a judge on the Third Circuit, and I had been there for 15 years. And the phone rang, and it was a Deputy Counsel in the White House Counsel’s Office, Bill Kelly, who called me to say that the President was seriously thinking about nominating me.

First, he told me that Harriet Miers, who had been nominated for this seat, was going to withdraw, and that was not public information at the time, and then he said the President was seriously thinking about nominating me, and was I still interested? And I said, “Yes, I’m still interested.”

So that was really the – that wasn’t the formal, the formal offer. And then Andy Card, who was the Chief of Staff at the time, called my house when I was at the office. My daughter answered the phone, and so she took a message, “Andy Card from the White House called.” Took a little while for her to realize what this might be about. Then, she consulted with my son, and together they figured out what it was probably about.

So I spoke with him, and then, I think, maybe the next day – this happened over the course of probably three days – Andy Card had arranged for a time for the President to call me. So the President called and he said, “I would like to nominate you for a seat on the Supreme Court.” And I said, “Well, thank you very much, Mr. President. I would be very honored.” And there was a pause and he said, “Well, do you accept?” He wanted to seal the contract. So I said, “Yes, of course, I accept.”

KRISTOL: And you had met the President before that?Scissors-32x32.png

http://conversationswithbillkristol.org/transcript/samuel-alito-transcript/

@Geee, @Draggingtree

Listening to it now. Wonderful!

Conversations with Bill Kristol is a great series.

I'm one of these weirdos that likes to read it, it's fasterwink.pngtongue.png

Try the Newt Vid.

What a shock Valin likes Newt. smile.png