Confederate Flag History

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Confederate Flag History

Flags of the Confederate States of America From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
180px-Our_Heroes_and_Our_Flags_1896.jpg
magnify-clip.png

Four versions of the flag of the Confederate States of America are shown on this print from 1896. Standing at the center areStonewall Jackson, P. G. T. Beauregard, and Robert E. Lee, surrounded by bust portraits ofJefferson Davis and Confederate Army officers.

There were several flags of the Confederate States of America used during its existence from 1861 to 1865. Since the end of theAmerican Civil War, personal and official use of Confederate flags, and of flags derived from these, has continued under some controversy.

The state flags of Mississippi, Georgia, and Tennessee are all based on Confederate flags. The flag of North Carolina is based on the state's 1861 flag which dates back to the Confederacy and appears to be based on the first Confederate flag. The flag of Alabama and perhaps the flag of Florida also seem to be of Confederate inspiration to some, but is really derived from Saint Patrick's Flag of Ireland.

Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.civilwar.com/index.php/resources/313-flags/150182-confederate-flag-history.html

For what it's worth...which is not much

Debating the Flag
May 29, 2000

(Snip)

SHELBY FOOTE: The flag is a symbol my great grandfather fought under and in defense of. I am for flying it anywhere anybody wants to fly it. I do know perfectly well what pain it causes my black friends, but I think that pain is not necessary if they would read the confederate constitution and knew what the confederacy really stood for. This country has two grievous sins on its hands. One of them is slavery – whether we’ll ever be cured of it, I don’t know. The other one is emancipation – they told 4 million people, you’re free, hit the road, and they drifted back into a form of peonage that in some ways is worse than slavery. These things have got to be understood before they’re condemned. They’re condemned on the face of it because they take that flag to represent what those yahoos represent as – in their protest against civil rights things. But the people who knew what that flag really stood for should have stopped those yahoos from using it as a symbol of what they stood for. But we didn’t – and now you had this problem of the confederate flag being identified as sort of a roughneck thing, which it is not.

(Snip)

SHELBY FOOTE: I can’t really argue with the people’s decision to remove it; if a constitutional body decides to remove the flag from a certain place, I can’t argue with that decision. I differ with it, but I can’t really argue with it because it’s a fait accompli. But to me the flag is a noble symbol, and I’m sorry to see it scorned. The confederacy stood for a great many things other than slavery. A dependent slavery is part of its right to decide what it wanted to do, but that was not what people fought the war about on either side. It was greatly contributory to starting the war and it was contributory to the North winning the war because of Lincoln’s definition as a war about slavery. It was not that in the first place or the last place. It was other things, many other things.

(Snip)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Forward to 7:20

Actually the whole thing is woth the time spent.

clearvision

So why do we let Mexican flags fly in Texas after their atrocities committed on Texans and their defeat. Why did we let Japan continue to fly their flag after defeat? Are we going to now rename so many southern streets?

• Like 2

Draggingtree

So why do we let Mexican flags fly in Texas after their atrocities committed on Texans and their defeat. Why did we let Japan continue to fly their flag after defeat? Are we going to now rename so many southern streets?

another point am I to cut off my arm if I have a tat of the flag LMFAO.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Draggingtree

What does the Confederate Flag's colors stand for?

The stars stand for the 11 states that were part of the confederacy and 2 for Missouri and Kentucky. red stands for southern pride, white means the true honesty of the confederacy, and blue stands for following the path of christ

clearvision

Last night out in West Texas (Big Spring) there were two jeeps pulled up in front of the restaurant we ate at. Besides the Texas and USA flags, they had a Confederate flag. As we ate dinner they took off down the road with all three flags flying.

edit to add checked the local news today and there were no shooting or killings in Big Spring even though those killer flags were flying.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

"Clear To Texas" - A Poem by Alice Scott

My goodness, what more could you want of a Southern girl?

We were humbled and honored to be the subject of a beautiful and inspirational poem and are sharing it here for your pleasure and appreciation.

Dear Virginia Flaggers

In great appreciation of your deeds, which lift morale in all of the Southern States, I have composed a short poem for you. I only wish that it had been written by a more masterful pen than my own.
Alice Scott ~ San Antonio, Texas.

"CLEAR TO TEXAS"
by Alice Scott ~ San Antonio, Texas

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Virginia Flaggers!
The voice of Dixie shouts elation!
You are a jewel in the Land O' Cotton,
Worthy descendants of a noble generation.

We find ourselves in daily battle,
Against attacks the enemy brings,
Attacks on our Confederate dead,
Attacks on all Confederate things.

Our bones grow weary from little rest,
Between each shameful wretched stunt.
But fear ye not - Virginia Flaggers,
Are riding swiftly to the front!

Our souls exhaust from heavy burden,
From all the hateful wicked wrongs,
But then we see our Southern Cross
a'flyin' high where she belongs!

All is well then with our souls,
Our Southern hearts once more renewed.
We look to-wards the Old Dominion,
With loving thoughts and gratitude.

Keep 'em flyin' great Virginians,
Keep singing songs of Dixieland!
We hear your voices clear to Texas,
We see those flags from the Rio Grande!

Posted by Brock Townsend at Sunday, October 16, 2016

H/T Free North Carolina

http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2016/10/clear-to-texas-poem-by-alice-scott.html

• 4 months later...