I'm Offended

Valin

im_offended_126814.htmlReal Clear Politics:

Charles Kesler

June 3, 2015

You can’t teach at an American college these days without wondering if—and at some schools, let’s face it, you wonder when—it’s going to happen. A student, fellow faculty member, or administrator is going to charge you with offending him.

For 30 years in my introductory American government course I have assigned the Lincoln-Douglas debates. Most students, I think, regard them as a highlight of the class. But it’s easy to imagine the possible objections. Both speakers discuss “Negroes,” not a polite term anymore though it was then, and Stephen Douglas enjoys playing to the audience’s passions by occasionally unloading the other, vile n-word. He doesn’t use it as often as (say) Huckleberry Finn does, but then Douglas isn’t a barefoot boy but a distinguished politician. And of course the debates are all about the moral status of slavery, and just how much equality and liberty the “Negroes” deserve.

Plenty to be offended by. Yet the drama, gravity, and high quality of the arguments on both sides tend to command respect, or at least to invite a reasoned consideration of the debaters’ claims. The fact that Lincoln lost that election to the U.S. Senate from Illinois brings students up short—an unexpected lesson that political success cannot be the measure of justice, nor history a convenient guide to which is the right and which the wrong side to be on.

Unhappily, today’s campus isn’t steeped in the spirit of the Lincoln-Douglas debates, or of any debate for that matter. That’s where the new ethos of taking offense comes in. The accusation is, and is meant to be, a conversation stopper. “I’m offended” is not an invitation to a debate but a demand for a confession, retraction, and apology. One could respond, “Well, I’m offended that you’re offended,” but that leads nowhere except maybe to a brawl. The charge operates like Ring Lardner’s great line—“‘Shut up,’ he explained”—except that absolutely no humor is involved. This new readiness to take offense leads first to trying to halt the offending conduct or speech, and next to trying to outlaw it.

(Snip)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I've been asking myself a question. If I were to go to college how long would it be before I found myself...in trouble?

• Like 1

I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me

Edward Schlosser

June 3, 2015

I'm a professor at a midsize state school. I have been teaching college classes for nine years now. I have won (minor) teaching awards, studied pedagogy extensively, and almost always score highly on my student evaluations. I am not a world-class teacher by any means, but I am conscientious; I attempt to put teaching ahead of research, and I take a healthy emotional stake in the well-being and growth of my students.

Things have changed since I started teaching. The vibe is different. I wish there were a less blunt way to put this, but my students sometimes scare me — particularly the liberal ones.

Not, like, in a person-by-person sense, but students in general. The student-teacher dynamic has been reenvisioned along a line that's simultaneously consumerist and hyper-protective, giving each and every student the ability to claim Grievous Harm in nearly any circumstance, after any affront, and a teacher's formal ability to respond to these claims is limited at best.

(Snip)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a solution to this problem....It starts out with listen up you ignorant little twerp.......(you then proceed from there to well and truly offend..humiliate & crush their self esteem. Also 4 & 8 letter words mentions of their mothers, would not necessarily be considered out of bounds.)

SrWoodchuck

Your two posts have triggered a terrible micro-aggression in me.

Compensate me thoroughly with gold coin & I'll work at relieving the damage you've done to my delicate self.

Do it not & I will throw a hissy-fit into your karma that will mess up your chakras....turn your prana into a banana....and send your vital energy out onto Tralfamador's 7th moon.

....and I ain't kiddin' neither....

.....OK....maybe a little bit.....

If anyone wants more in depth info about how libs have taken over, pick up a copy of The Silencing by Kirston Powers. It's one of those books that will raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels.

• Like 1

Your two posts have triggered a terrible micro-aggression in me.

Compensate me thoroughly with gold coin & I'll work at relieving the damage you've done to my delicate self.

Do it not & I will throw a hissy-fit into your karma that will mess up your chakras....turn your prana into a banana....and send your vital energy out onto Tralfamador's 7th moon.

....and I ain't kiddin' neither....

.....OK....maybe a little bit.....

smurf.jpg

I guess it depends on the individual professor and how tolerant or intolerant they are with liberal, whiny, airheaded students and liberal PC administrators. I get the feeling from reading Mike S. Adams' columns on Townhall.com that he is intolerant of both the former and the latter.... and has the cojones to stand up to all of them.

• 1 month later...
Draggingtree
‘Offended’ flea market shopper calls 911 over Confederate merchandise

JULY 12, 2015

BY OLAF EKBERG

A shopper perusing the merchandise at the Redwood Country Flea Market was so offended by a vendor selling Confederate and Nazi historical memorabilia, the person actually called 911.

Wallingford, Connecticut police were dispatched to the flea market to investigate.

confederate-flag-clinton-gore-button.jpg

Confederate memorabilia. (Example)

The police chief William Wright tells News 8“the reason no one was arrested was because the items were being sold on private property” — not to mention no laws were broken.Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.theamericanmirror.com/offended-flea-market-shopper-calls-911-over-confederate-merchandise/

• 4 weeks later...
Draggingtree

County: Confederate statue to remain on courthouse lawn

Via Susan

W_CONFEDERATE_MEMORIAL.jpg

The Confederate memorial statue that has stood on the Bulloch County Courthouse Square for over 100 years will remain in place in spite of efforts by some to have the memorial moved.

Bulloch County commissioners voted unanimously Tuesday to leave the Italian marble statue on the southwest corner of the square, where it has stood since 1909, when the local chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected it as a memorial to area soldiers who lost lives in the Civil War.

Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.com/2015/08/county-confederate-statue-to-remain-on.html

• Like 1

Draggingtree

UT recommends moving Confederate statues

By Lauren McGaughy

Updated 11:44 am, Monday, August 10, 2015

AUSTIN - The University of Texas at Austin's handful of Confederate statues should be altered or relocated from the main mall to a museum or an exhibit elsewhere on campus, according to a task force convened to decide the future of the divisive monuments. Scissors-32x32.png

The 12-member task force, which included students, faculty and alumni, issued a series of recommendations in a 34-page report Monday. Scissors-32x32.png

READ THE FULL REPORT HERE Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/UT-recommends-6435273.php

Saw this a mile away coming like a storm ( U.of T. @ Austin )

Draggingtree

Voices: Democrats foolishly purge heroes

Ross K. Baker, Special for USA TODAY11:24 a.m. EDT August 10, 2015

By applying today's standards, Presidents Jefferson, Jackson, Wilson & FDR get the boot.

The Democratic Party has turned into the Church of Perpetual Repentance. The occasion is the annualJefferson-Jackson dinners, long held by Democrats in each state to raise money and fire up the troops. The name honors Thomas Jefferson, who founded the party, and Andrew Jackson, who redefined it by wresting control from the hands of the East Coast oligarchy that had come to dominate it.

But these credentials are evidently not strong enough to retain their names at the party events in Missouri, Connecticut, Georgia and others sure to follow. Jefferson, as all schoolchildren know, was a slaveholder, and Jackson was a Native American-slaughtering apologist for the enslavement of African Americans.

This action follows hard on the heels of the demotion of the Confederate battle flag to justifiable exile in dusty museums. But Jefferson and Jackson are not the rebel flag, a symbol of treason as well as slavery. Scissors-32x32.png

I used a progressive term against my nephew the other day. We were having a type of political discussion, with me being the conservative and he being the liberal. He finally reached the point of totally ticking me off (it usually does not quite reach this point in discussions with him--and I've been having discussions with him since he was living with us while getting his MBA at the U of Washington many years ago).

So finally I replied to him, "I am offended. Your remarks were personally insulting. It was unnecessary and disappointing. No further reply." He sent one more response and said he was not talking about me personally, just using the general term "you." Oh, of course . . . not. I did not respond. It felt good to use his own methods on him. I know, I know, it is not like a conservative to fight back but sometimes you get maxed out, and this was one of those times.

• Like 3

Draggingtree
Wisconsin man arrested for forcing his way into home, taking down Confederate flag hanging in window

confederate-flag.png?w=500

Journal Times: A Confederate flag hanging in a Racine resident’s house reportedly led to a fight that ended with a man forcing his way into the home to tear it down.

The Racine Police Department responded to the 1300 block of Center Street on Friday afternoon. The caller said Tajaun Boatner, 37, of Racine, had confronted her at her house about a Confederate flag hanging in her window and eventually pushed her down, the complaint said. Scissors-32x32.png

http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2015/08/13/wisconsin-man-arrested-for-forcing-his-way-into-home-taking-down-confederate-flag-hanging-in-window/

Draggingtree

Monuments to Confederacy have their own history at Texas Capitol

By Lauren McGaughy

July 1, 2015 Updated: July 1, 2015 11:08pm

920x920.jpg
Photo: Gary Coronado, Staff
IMAGE 1 OF 29

The Confederate seal is one of six seals permanently emblazoned on the floor of the Capitol Rotunda.

AUSTIN - As states across the South debate the removal of the Confederate battle flag from public spaces, the conversation barely has begun in Texas, where no fewer than a dozen markers and monuments to the Confederacy dot the Capitol grounds, some placed there more than a century ago and others embedded in the building itself.

Most statewide elected officials have been mute on the issue, a silence some lawmakers now want to end.

Meanwhile, the State Preservation Board, which oversees the Capitol, said its focus now is on preparing for another monument, one to honor the contributions of African-American Texans, that is slated to be added to the historic grounds. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Monuments-to-Confederacy-have-their-own-history-6361731.php#next

Draggingtree

Remove the Southern belle from her inglorious perch

By Elizabeth Boyd August 14

The writer is research associate in American Studies at University of Maryland at College Park, and the author of “Southern Beauty: Race, Ritual, and Memory in the Modern South” (under contract to University of Georgia Press).

When administrators at the University of Georgia declared a ban on hoop skirts in the spring, I could only think, what took you so long?

But in that sense UGA was really no different from other Southern schools. Long after many universities had officially done away with a variety of Old South symbols, the feminine figure most clearly identified with Dixie — the Southern belle — continued to enjoy free rein. College administrators who had long since banned the Confederate battle flag, nixed the singing of “Dixie” and given plantation-owner mascots the boot were still saying yes to the dress. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/removing-the-southern-belle-from-her-inglorious-perch/2015/08/14/ea929b2a-3f96-11e5-9561-4b3dc93e3b9a_story.html

Draggingtree
The Urge to Purge
Tom Garrett August 17, 2015

HoopSkirt.jpgAs I’ve said before, the primitive desire to purge our society of anything that makes us feel bad, particularly things that relate to history (no matter how far removed we are from the events in question) will continue, unabated, until people stand up and say “enough.”

Consider this opinion piece in the Washington Post, headlined “Remove the Southern belle from her inglorious perch.” The author, Elizabeth Boyd, makes the case for banning the hoop skirt. Yes, you read that correctly: The hoop skirt must be banned. But that’s not all. Scissors-32x32.pnghttps://ricochet.com/the-urge-to-purge/