No, really, how are these Republican debates going to work with so many people onstage?

Valin

no-really-how-are-these-republican-debates-going-to-work-with-so-many-people-onstageHot Air:

Tell me who I’m leaving out: Bush, Walker, Rubio, Paul, Cruz, Christie, Huckabee, Perry, Jindal, Santorum, Graham, Carson, Fiorina, Trump, maybe John Kasich, maybe even Rick Snyder. There’s also a chance Peter King and/or John Bolton will run, just to make life extra miserable for Rand. That would be … 18 candidates onstage in a forum that’s never accommodated more than 10. Huh.

You could, of course, limit the debates to the 10 most popular and/or credible candidates in the field. Just tell me how you go about reliably discerning who those people are circa early August, five months before Iowa goes to vote. Philip Klein:

But the problem is, if all of the candidates who have expressed interest decide to run, there’s no easy criteria for determining who can be allowed to debate. For instance, a strict polling threshold, applied to a recent New Hampshire survey, would end up including Donald Trump while leaving out Bobby Jindal and Rick Perry.

Restricting the debates to office holders would exclude Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina, the only African-American and female candidates in the race, at a time when the party is trying to shed its image of being limited to white males.

(Snip)

• 2 weeks later...
Draggingtree
A suggestion for the 6-10 Republicans who are about to be excluded from the FOX debate: hold you own debate the next day

By: gawken (Diary) | May 21st, 2015 at 10:01 AM

We’re just getting reports about how FOX, which is hosting the first GOP presidential debate, is going to handle the “problem” of having too many candidates.

FOX wants to limit it to no more than 10 candidates on stage, and is proposing to use a Real Clear Politics poll average to come up with their top ten.

As usual, the RNC, by agreeing with this, is being incredible stupid.

There are so many things wrong with this approach, but let me list just a few: Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.redstate.com/diary/gawken/2015/05/21/suggestion-6-10-republicans-excluded-fox-debate-hold-debate-next-day/

clearvision

Put them all in a big caged in area with a camera in each corner and ask them questions over a loud speaker.

SrWoodchuck

Put them all in a big caged in area with a camera in each corner and ask them questions over a loud speaker.

trump_hell_toupee-300x300.jpg

• Like 1

Draggingtree
UPDATED: A suggestion for the 6-10 Republicans who are about to be excluded from the FOX debate: hold you own debate the next day

By: gawken (Diary) | May 21st, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Note: Jay Cost at The Weekly Standard as a column out today, 5/23, “Ten is too few” which discusses many of the points I raised below. Well worth reading. And note his comments about the recent epic fails of polls.

We’re just getting reports about how FOX, which is hosting the first GOP presidential debate, is going to handle the “problem” of having too many candidates.

FOX wants to limit it to no more than 10 candidates on stage, and is proposing to use a Real Clear Politics poll average to come up with their top ten.

As usual, the RNC, by agreeing with this, is being incredible stupid.

There are so many things wrong with this approach, but let me list just a few: Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.redstate.com/diary/gawken/2015/05/21/suggestion-6-10-republicans-excluded-fox-debate-hold-debate-next-day/