Three Major Iraqi Shiite Militia Groups Have Pulled Out Of The Fight For Tikrit In Protest Of U.S. Air Strikes

Valin

three-major-iraqi-shiite-militia-groups.htmlWar News Updates:

March 26 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuD667XtIW0

New York Times: 3 Shiite Militias Quit Iraqi Siege of ISIS Over U.S. Air Role

AL RASHID AIR BASE, Iraq — Three major Shiite militia groups pulled out of the fight for Tikrit on Thursday, immediately depriving the Iraqi government of thousands of their fighters on the ground even as American warplanes readied for an expected second day of airstrikes against the Islamic State there.

The militia groups, some of which until recently had Iranian advisers with them, pulled out of the Tikrit fight in protest of the American military airstrikes, which began late Wednesday night, insisting that the Americans were not needed to defeat the extremists in Tikrit.

(Snip)

Update: Iraqi militia leader rejects calls for further US air strikes on Tikrit -- The Guardian

WNU Editor: David Ignatius believes that this is a significant shift in Iraq's relationship with Iran .... Stalled Tikrit offensive hurts Iran, helps U.S. (David Ignatius, Washington Post) .... but I have my doubts. This is temporary shift done out of convenience ..... once Tikrit has fallen I expect everyone in Iraq will claim victory .... the Shiite militias included .... and the march towards Mosul will then begin.

Cyber_Liberty

Is there any way we can get all the Shiite "groups" to bug out of Iraq? I agree with Petreus they are far more dangerous, in the long run, than ISIS.

Is there any way we can get all the Shiite "groups" to bug out of Iraq? I agree with Petreus they are far more dangerous, in the long run, than ISIS.

The problem is Iran is right next door, and we're not there.