Sharpton Fires Back At NY Post Report Questioning Motives In Eric Garner Case

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
sharpton-fires-back-at-ny-post-report-questioning-motives-in-eric-garner-caseCBS News York:

The Rev. Al Sharpton is firing back at a report questioning his motives for his involvement in the Eric Garner case.

The New York Post, citing a video released by conservative activist James O’Keefe, claims that Eric Garner’s daughter was secretly recorded saying Sharpton is only interested in money.

In the video, which the Post says was secretly recorded during a protest at the St. George Ferry Terminal on Staten Island last month, a woman is heard asking Erica Garner if she thinks Sharpton is “kind of like a crook in a sense.”

She replies, “He’s about this,” and rubs her fingers together.

“He’s about money with you?” the woman asks.

“Yeah,” Garner’s daughter responds.

The headline of the article reads, “Garner’s daughter on Sharpton: ‘He’s all about the money.'” But Sharpton says the story contradicts its own headline.

Later on in the article, the Post says Garner’s daughter “denied that she had accused Sharpton of being a money-grubber” in an interview with the paper Monday night.

“No, I didn’t say that I think Al Sharpton is all about the money,” she told the Post.

“It is very interesting that they, when they reached the people in the video, the people contradicted what was in the video,” Sharpton told CBS News. “My response is it’s a headline of a story that they contradict in their own article.”

“Not only do I think the video was taken out of context, there is nobody in that video that said I did anything with money,” he added. “The New York Post has more explaining to do than I do in this case.”

Eric Garner’s mother, Gwen Carr, and widow, Esaw Snipes-Garner, later issued a statement calling the Post’s front page story “deeply misleading.”

“As the mother and head of the estate of Eric Garner, and the widow of Eric Garner, let us be clear: We reached out and asked for help and assistance from Rev. Al Sharpton and National Action Network in the wake of Eric’s death. National Action Network and Rev. Al Sharpton have honored all of our requests, including covering the expenses of Eric’s funeral,” the statement said. “We believe that their involvement is solely based on their commitment for justice for Eric and our family. It is National Action Network’s policy that they do not accept monies or even reimbursement from victim’s families.”

“Erica made it clear in this New York Post article that the way the interview was conducted was extremely deceptive and her comments were taken out of context,” they added. “We appreciate the work that National Action and Rev. Sharpton has done and continues to do for our family.”

________

I'd look for different "help" if I were them...