Kurds push Islamic State out of Kobani after four-month battle

Valin

us-mideast-crisis-syria-kobani-idUSKBN0KZ1F920150126Reuters:

Sylvia Westall and Ayla Jean Yackley

BEIRUT/ISTANBUL Mon Jan 26, 2015

(Reuters) - Kurdish forces took full control of the Syrian town of Kobani on Monday, driving out remaining Islamic State fighters to end a four-month battle that became a focal point of the international fight against the ultra-hardline Islamist group.

Monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Syrian Kurdish YPG forces had retaken the town, close to the Turkish border, but were still proceeding carefully in the eastern outskirts where Islamic State had planted mines before fleeing.

"I can see the YPG flag flying over Kobani. There are the sounds of jets flying above," said Tevfik Kanat, a Turkish Kurd who rushed to the border with hundreds of others, including refugees from Kobani, after hearing about the advance.

"People are dancing and singing, there are fireworks. Everyone feels a huge sense of relief," he said by telephone.

U.S.-led forces have carried out almost daily air strikes on Islamic State positions around the town, a frontline in the battle against the group that has captured expanses of Iraq and Syria and proclaimed an Islamic caliphate.

(Snip)

Is it too late for Obama to rescue ISIS?

That make absolutely no sense.

You are correct, it doesn't. unsure.png

I have no use for Fearless Leader and the Wisest Greatest most Wonderfulest person to ever live in the Whitehouse, and I dream of the day he will go away and I can safely ignore him, he doesn't have horns and a tail. So many on our side seem to think he does.

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

Is it too late for Obama to rescue ISIS?

That make absolutely no sense.

You are correct, it doesn't. unsure.png

I have no use for Fearless Leader and the Wisest Greatest most Wonderfulest person to ever live in the Whitehouse, and I dream of the day he will go away and I can safely ignore him, he doesn't have horns and a tail. So many on our side seem to think he does.

No, he doesn't have horns and a tail (they suspected that about Billy Bob, too), but we're going to be hearing from this POS for years to come, just like Carter. Neither one can keep his trap shut.

No, he doesn't have horns and a tail (they suspected that about Billy Bob, too), but we're going to be hearing from this POS for years to come, just like Carter. Neither one can keep his trap shut.

Oh yes. Its going to be really really great! rolleyes.gif We keep seeing all these artices/comments on Obama's Polling numbers...like he cares.

• Like 1

Kurds.jpgI knew nothing about the Kurds prior to last summer. But — as whole Iraqi divisions fled in panic in the face of the ISIS onslaught, ditching their uniforms and weapons as they fled — there was an overlooked people who didn’t disgrace themselves: the Kurds.

The most startling images that came out of Iraqi Kurdistan were of beautiful, young women in fatigues, smiling with AKs on their backs and going into battle alongside men as equals. In fact, there are whole Kurdish militia units of women. These militias have been integral in repelling ISIS from Kobane, where a genocide would surely occur if it fell.Scissors-32x32.pnghttps://ricochet.com/the-kurdish-question/

Cyber_Liberty

@Draggingtree, FTA:

In a region lacking in friends, it is bizarre that we would so blithely ignore a pro-Israel, pro-America people willing to fight our enemies to the death.

I don't find it bizarre at all, but I guess he doesn't know Obama as well as we do.

• Like 1