Obama has no idea how to handle North Korean attack on private citizens

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
obama-has-no-idea-how-to-handle-north-korean-attack-on-private-citizensHot Air:

Outgoing CNN host Candy Crowley sat down with President Barack Obama for his final interview of the year on Friday in which she probed him over his government’s response to the North Korea-linked cyber-attack on Sony Studios.

Crowley asked if the administration considered the costly and dramatic attack on the livelihoods of American citizens, complete with ultimatums warning of future attacks unless Sony behaved in a manner preferred by the attackers, represented an act of war.

“No, I don’t think it was an act of war,” Obama said. “I think it was an act of cyber-vandalism that was very costly, very expensive. We take it very seriously.”

Well, that’s reassuring. The president went on to lecture Crowley that her network should make every effort to not cave to the demands of cyber-attackers as Sony had when they inevitably become the target of a similar assault.

“CNN has done critical stories about North Korea. What happens if, in fact, there is a breach in CNN’s cyberspace?” Obama insisted. “Are we going to suddenly say, are we not going to report on North Korea?”

It was a similar admonition to the one he gave Sony executives from behind the podium of the James Brady Briefing Room. “If we set a precedent in which a dictator in another country can disrupt through cyber, a company’s distribution chain or its products, and as a consequence we start censoring ourselves, that’s a problem,” Obama said.

He’s right. Sony set a bad precedent, but so did Obama. The president cannot possibly think that an attack like that executed by North Korea (and its allies in the People’s Republic of China) is a matter for law enforcement alone? Actually, maybe he does. Why else would he repeatedly suggest that cyber-attacks on private American interests like these are going to become a feature of American life?

________

I'm sure he'll come up with something while at his winter palace in Hawaii...

Obama dithered away an opportunity to strike? Say it ain't so!

I know just what you mean. Normally he is so quick and decisive when it comes to making decisions.

uptown_dickcheney.png

I Think we all know where the blame lays

• Like 1

obama-has-no-idea-how-to-handle-north-korean-attack-on-private-citizens:

Outgoing CNN host Candy Crowley sat down with President Barack Obama for his final interview of the year on Friday in which she probed him over his government’s response to the North Korea-linked cyber-attack on Sony Studios.

Crowley asked if the administration considered the costly and dramatic attack on the livelihoods of American citizens, complete with ultimatums warning of future attacks unless Sony behaved in a manner preferred by the attackers, represented an act of war.

“No, I don’t think it was an act of war,” Obama said. “I think it was an act of cyber-vandalism that was very costly, very expensive. We take it very seriously.”

Well, that’s reassuring. The president went on to lecture Crowley that her network should make every effort to not cave to the demands of cyber-attackers as Sony had when they inevitably become the target of a similar assault.

“CNN has done critical stories about North Korea. What happens if, in fact, there is a breach in CNN’s cyberspace?” Obama insisted. “Are we going to suddenly say, are we not going to report on North Korea?”

It was a similar admonition to the one he gave Sony executives from behind the podium of the James Brady Briefing Room. “If we set a precedent in which a dictator in another country can disrupt through cyber, a company’s distribution chain or its products, and as a consequence we start censoring ourselves, that’s a problem,” Obama said.

He’s right. Sony set a bad precedent, but so did Obama. The president cannot possibly think that an attack like that executed by North Korea (and its allies in the People’s Republic of China) is a matter for law enforcement alone? Actually, maybe he does. Why else would he repeatedly suggest that cyber-attacks on private American interests like these are going to become a feature of American life?

________

I'm sure he'll come up with something while at his winter palace in Hawaii...

No, he won't. He won't even be thinking about it. In between golf, looking for a site for his presidential library, and taking his girls out for ice cream (something he likes to talk about doing because for some reason he thinks it's so all-American), he'll be way too busy.

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

No, he won't. He won't even be thinking about it. In between golf, looking for a site for his presidential library, and taking his girls out for ice cream (something he likes to talk about doing because for some reason he thinks it's so all-American), he'll be way too busy.

I have a theory about the ice cream thing. IIRC, early on he used to talk about when he had a job at an ice cream shop as a kid. I think he likes these little opportunities to show his kids how to treat "the help."

North Korea experiencing widespread Internet outages

"We have no new information to share regarding North Korea today," Bernadette Meehan, White House National Security Council spokesperson, told Fox News. "We have no new information to share regarding North Korea today. If in fact North Korea’s Internet has gone down, we’d refer you to that government for comment."

Hmmm....