Texas theater to show “Team America” in place of canceled “Interview”

Valin

texas-theater-to-show-team-america-in-place-of-canceled-interviewHot Air:

Mary Katharine Ham

December 17, 2014

Sometimes, you just need Texas. As the rest of the entertainment industry was being brought to its knees by the threat of more hacking and terrorism, a theater in Texas decided to both capitalize on this story and stand up for freedom of speech. The only bummer is they’re holding a free screening, as I’d hoped they’d rake in a bunch of cash for filling a gap in the market, which would be as appropriately American as the statement they’re making about our values. They should be rewarded, and they will be, at least with brand recognition and good will:

Fresh off the disappointing news that Sony Pictures has cancelled the December 25th release of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg‘s comedy, The Interview, the Alamo Drafthouse announced that, in its place, they’ll screen Matt Parker and Trey Stone‘s Team America: World Police.

This won’t be at every theater for every screening unfortunately. In fact, as of right now, it’s just one night, one show, at one theater. But it’s a clever, wonderful piece of programming from a chain known for that kind of thing. Read more about the Team America The Interview screening below.

(Snip)

Cue The Trumpet Fanfare!

IMO The single stupidest statement made on this.

"It's amazing that this even got green-lit," "Wow, nothing's really changed. This is still a white male, Western-centric view of a small Asian nation."

Emily Carman, assistant professor of film and media arts at Chapman University

@Valin AND FREE GUNS!

“With cap guns for everyone … for free,” said James Wallace, who programs the Dallas/Ft. Worth Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, according to the Dallas Morning News. “Because you can’t spell freedom without free.”

@clearvision

Free Guns....dry.png I must admit I am a bit conflicted on this. I like the idea of everyone having a gun, but Free...I don't know.

Being Mr. Moderate, maybe we could have a Mandate that everyone own a gun and provide Tax Breaks for those who can't afford one. I mean its worked out so well with Obamacare. I could see this as a template for the future!

Well so much for that plan... Paramount pulled the film...

Alamo Drafthouse said in a statement, “We can confirm that the screening of TEAM AMERICA was cancelled as the film was pulled from release. We are issuing refunds to those that purchased tickets.”

The Cleveland-based Capitol Theatre, tweeted earlier today that it was planning to show the movie from the team behind South Park in June, but then later reported: “. . . we just received word: Paramount has pulled all future screenings of Team America. Ours is canceled. "

December 18, 2014

Fall Out: New Regency Cancels Thriller Set in North Korea; Paramount Bans "Team America: World Police" From Theatrical Screening —Ace

And now, the corporate cowards are in full flight.

The chilling effect of the Sony Pictures hack and terrorist threats against The Interview are reverberating. New Regency has scrapped another project that was to be set in North Korea. The untitled thriller, set up in October, was being developed by director Gore Verbinski as a star vehicle for Foxcatcher star Steve Carell. The paranoid thriller written by Steve Conrad was going to start production in March. Insiders tell me that under the current circumstances, it just makes no sense to move forward. The location won’t be transplanted. Fox declined to distribute it, per a spokesman.

I guess I understand that move -- it's show business, and if wacky midget dictators are going to tank your project, you can't make money on it, and have to walk away.

I have less understanding about Paramount's gutless appeasement, though.

The Alamo Drafthouse had planned to show Team America: World Police instead of the pulled The Interview because Texans are awesome. Scissors-32x32.png

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/353852.php

December 18, 2014

Fall Out: New Regency Cancels Thriller Set in North Korea; Paramount Bans "Team America: World Police" From Theatrical Screening —Ace

And now, the corporate cowards are in full flight.

The chilling effect of the Sony Pictures hack and terrorist threats against The Interview are reverberating. New Regency has scrapped another project that was to be set in North Korea. The untitled thriller, set up in October, was being developed by director Gore Verbinski as a star vehicle for Foxcatcher star Steve Carell. The paranoid thriller written by Steve Conrad was going to start production in March. Insiders tell me that under the current circumstances, it just makes no sense to move forward. The location won’t be transplanted. Fox declined to distribute it, per a spokesman.

I guess I understand that move -- it's show business, and if wacky midget dictators are going to tank your project, you can't make money on it, and have to walk away.

I have less understanding about Paramount's gutless appeasement, though.

The Alamo Drafthouse had planned to show Team America: World Police instead of the pulled The Interview because Texans are awesome. Scissors-32x32.png

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/353852.php

Also here at TPM

Hey Paramount

1329450358580.jpg

Don't Be A Wussy

• Like 1

12/18/2014

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 7:36 am

Why is “The Interview” being pulled? Why was Steve Carell’s “Pyongyang” cancelled? In the first instance, you can blame the lawyers.

Once all the major movie chains decided not to show the film, that was the end. Why did they make this decision? I’m sure part of the reason is that they worried moviegoers would stay away from the theaters showing the movie, whether the patrons were there to see this film or not.

But I’d say one major reason the chains decided not to show the movie is that they worry about lawsuits if something happens. Lawyer Kurt Schlichter agrees:

Scissors-32x32.png

The victims of the Aurora shooting are suing Cinemark over an act perpetrated by a lone gunman. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://patterico.com/2014/12/18/tort-law-one-major-reason-north-korea-can-dictate-what-movies-we-watch-in-the-united-states/

Cyber_Liberty

12/18/2014

Why is “The Interview” being pulled? Why was Steve Carell’s “Pyongyang” cancelled? In the first instance, you can blame the lawyers.

Once all the major movie chains decided not to show the film, that was the end. Why did they make this decision? I’m sure part of the reason is that they worried moviegoers would stay away from the theaters showing the movie, whether the patrons were there to see this film or not.

But I’d say one major reason the chains decided not to show the movie is that they worry about lawsuits if something happens. Lawyer Kurt Schlichter agrees:

Scissors-32x32.png

The victims of the Aurora shooting are suing Cinemark over an act perpetrated by a lone gunman. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://patterico.com/2014/12/18/tort-law-one-major-reason-north-korea-can-dictate-what-movies-we-watch-in-the-united-states/

Cinemark deserves to be sued by the families of those killed in Aurora. They were the ones who decided their patrons didn't need to be armed, nobody else.

12/18/2014

Scissors-32x32.png

Cinemark deserves to be sued by the families of those killed in Aurora. They were the ones who decided their patrons didn't need to be armed, nobody else.

wow

December 19, 2014

BREAKING: FBI Says North Korea Responsible For Sony Hack —DrewM.

Suspected, now confirmed.

"The FBI has determined that the intrusion into SPE’s network consisted of the deployment of destructive malware and the theft of proprietary information as well as employees’ personally identifiable information and confidential communications. The attacks also rendered thousands of SPE’s computers inoperable, forced SPE to take its entire computer network offline, and significantly disrupted the company’s business operations."

The FBI said the "destructive nature of this attack, coupled with its coercive nature, sets it apart. North Korea’s actions were intended to inflict significant harm on a U.S. business and suppress the right of American citizens to express themselves. Such acts of intimidation fall outside the bounds of acceptable state behavior." Scissors-32x32.png

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/353870.php

Ok so what the Sh** are we going to do about it wallbash.gif just talk Obama will make a statment and thats all folks

George Clooney discovers the essential uselessness of the Hollywood he helped create.

By: Moe Lane (Diary) | December 19th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Oh, God, while the Sony situation isn’t funny George Clooney’s reaction to it certainly is. Well, not Good Funny. This is Bad Funny… anyway, let’s go over who Clooney blames,shall we?

§ The press. “They played the fiddle while Rome burned.” They should have mentioned that this was blatantly a North Korean-friendly (at least) operation, based on the very name (I freely admit that I missed the historical details behind that one).

• Trial lawyers. “[The theater chains] said they were not going to run it because they talked to their lawyers and those lawyers said if somebody dies in one of these, then you’re going to be responsible.” Those tort-obsessed trial lawyers… Scissors-32x32.png

§

§ http://www.redstate.com/2014/12/19/george-clooney-hollywood-sony-the-interview/