The Lawless President, Salting The Fields

Valin

lawless-presidentHugh Hewitt Blog:

Hugh Hewitt

Thursday, November 20, 2014

First, a programming note. The president addresses the nation tonight at 8 PM EST. My show will add an extra hour to collect reactions from callers and experts, and thus will be carried on most of my stations until 10 PM EST. You can listen online by clicking the button above or via the app if you are away from the car or home radio.

Pete Wehner is exactly right: “Mr. Obama is about to commit an act of constitutional infamy. This is a stain that will stay with him.”

Wehner also points to another of the Beltway’s very smart, very restrained observers, Ron Fornier of The National Journal, who said of the president in a discussion not of the immigration lawlessness but of the breakdown and patchwork fixes concerning Obamacare that “the central attribute you have to have as any leader, in any walk of life and certainly in government is trust and this president has destroyed the credibility of his administration, himself and government itself.”

Lawless. Infamous. Untrustworthy. Echoes of how 1974 must have sounded to folks living in the nation’s capital.

(Snip)

That’s where we are: A widespread recognition that the president cheats, and that he dissembles. He may outright lie tonight –we will see.

But no one not in love with him as family or a close friend knows other than the truth: He is about to do a very, very bad thing, a disfigurement of the Constitution which will lead to future disfigurements. Wait until the environmentalists learn that a GOP president can suspend enforcement of their beloved if crazy Endangered Species Act. Wait until all sorts of special interests realize that their special interest legislation can be suspended at a stroke of a pen.

D.C.’s permanent class may feel an involuntary shudder tonight, when it realizes all that they sell –their access and their ability to deliver lines of law in lengthy bills– is at best fragile. It is a big night for the president, and a disastrous one for the Constitution.

Hugh Hewitt@hughhewitt 2m2 minutes ago

Being trolled by lefties who apparently are unaware of Article I of US Constitution and incapable of reading, oh, a dozen refutations of

0 replies 8 retweets 9 favorites

@hughhewitt Enough, Hugh. It's a hundred years old or something. #nevergetsold

5:54 PM - 20 Nov 2014

What You Need to Know About Obama’s Executive Move on Immigration

Josh Siegel

November 20, 2014

President Obama tonight announced he will begin to fix the nation’s “broken” immigration system by allowing millions here illegally to stay.

Obama did not specify a number, but the White House put the number at 5 million of the estimated 11.5 million illegal immigrants.

Obama said he decided to allow certain unlawful residents with established roots to “come out of the shadows” because mass deportation of illegal immigrants “would be both impossible and contrary to our character.”

(Snip)

Activist Who Coined ‘Deporter-in-Chief’ Praises Obama’s ‘Reaffirming’ Speech
Matt Wilstein

8:42 pm, November 20th, 2014

When Janet Murguía, president of the nation’s largest Latino advocacy group, the National Council of La Raza, delivered a speech at the annual Capital Awards dinner last March, she labeled President Barack Obama the “deporter-in-chief.” But when Murguía joined MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes immediately following the president’s address to the nation on immigration Thursday night, she expressed a very different outlook.

“I thought it was very compelling, very powerful and very reaffirming,” Murguía said of Obama’s speech, in which he formally announced his executive action that will protect up to five million undocumented immigrants from deportation. “For us, this moment is a milestone moment I think for so many. It’s a victory for so many American families who have lived in the shadows with the burden of what that means in this country.”

“I think it was a victory for common sense,” she continued. So this is a very important moment, nott just for some of us who have been fighting alongside so many others for some change and reform. But it’s really, I think, an important moment for the country.”

(Snip)

Media Swoons, Gloats over Obama’s Immigration Order
Andrew Johnson
November 20, 2014 9:13 PM

Moments after President Obama said his administration will grant legal status to immigrants in the country illegally, members of the left-leaning media were quick to applaud the executive order, and proclaim it a historically pivotal moment.

Jonathan Alter, an MSNBC contributor and author of multiple books about President Obama, predicted that the commander-in-chief would enjoy idolatrous status as a result of tonight’s announcement.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well this certainly is a shock! rolleyes.gif

Words cannot express how shocked I am

Report: Obama Delayed Exec Action After He Saw DSCC Polling
Eliana Johnson
November 20, 2014 9:40 PM

Politico has the behind-the-scenes story of how the executive amnesty came to be. It details the political calculations behind the president’s decision:

What really worried the White House was that opposition wasn’t limited to vulnerable moderates up for reelection in Republican-leaning states. Sen. Al Franken, a liberal from Minnesota, expressed concerns. Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.), who wasn’t on the ballot, pointedly asked Obama to wait until after the election. And Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), who caucuses with Democrats, declared openly that it would be a “mistake” for the president to do anything alone, ever.

When King personally delivered that message to White House chief of staff Denis McDonough, the Obama team knew it had a problem......(Snip)