Santa Maria Tri-Tip Steak Recipe

Draggingtree

Santa Maria Tri-Tip Steak Recipe

Serves. 4.

Preparation time. 5 minutes to season

Cooking time. 45 to 90 minutes depending on how you set up your grill.

Ingredients

1 tri-tip steak

Vegetable oil

Salt

Ground fresh black pepper

Garlic powder

Paprika

About the oil. Use a light, mild flavor oil like canola or corn oil.

Method

1) Pat the meat dry with paper towels. An hour or two before cooking, sprinkle it with salt, no more than you would if you were served the cooked meat. This dry brining will dissolve and get pulled into the meat and season it throughout. You can dry brine the night before if you wish.

2) Just before cooking, coat it with a light layer of cooking oil, sprinkle it with the spices, roughly equal amounts. Massage it in. Don't worry about over-seasoning. When you're done you're going to cut it into thin slices so each slice will have only a small lip of flavorful crust.

3) Set up your grill for 2-zone cooking with one side of your grill scorching hot and the other about 225°F to 250°F.

4) Because this is a thick hunk of flesh, we can't put it close to high heat Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/santa_maria_tri-tip_steaks.html

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have a bunch of cousins in California and when I'd visit them out there with my Dad years ago, Tri-tips were always everywhere you went. Seems like people ate them all day long! ;-)

So when I came back to TX I looked for a recipe so my Dad could make them but this was the earliest days of the internet, pre-google even I think, and I swear I could only find about five or so recipes on the entire web for how to grill them and, equally important, what specific cut to ask for at the meat counter.

Now of course, you get 5 gazillion hits for a search and any butcher at any chain grocery anywhere in the country knows what you are talking about when you ask for tri tips. This recipe fits exactly with what I learned: keep it simple, keep it off direct heat & garlic is essential.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of cousins in California and when I'd visit them out there with my Dad years ago, Tri-tips were always everywhere you went. Seems like people ate them all day long! ;-)

So when I came back to TX I looked for a recipe so my Dad could make them but this was the earliest days of the internet, pre-google even I think, and I swear I could only find about five or so recipes on the entire web for how to grill them and, equally important, what specific cut to ask for at the meat counter.

Now of course, you get 5 gazillion hits for a search and any butcher at any chain grocery anywhere in the country knows what you are talking about when you ask for tri tips. This recipe fits exactly with what I learned: keep it simple, keep it off direct heat & garlic is essential.

well I am glad it seems to fit what you were wanting,