Updating the Weinberger Doctrine

Draggingtree

updating-the-weinberger-doctrineThe American Conservative: Updating the Weinberger Doctrine

By DANIEL LARISONOctober 24, 2014, 10:54 AM

Steven Metz proposes reviving and updating Caspar Weinberger’s principles on the use of force, but he concludes this will succeed only on two conditions:

First, there would have to be at least an informal agreement between both major parties to tone down the partisanship that hinders and even paralyzes American security policy. Whoever is in the White House, be it a Democrat or Republican, must be able to walk away from security commitments without a shrill barrage of indignant criticism. It may be too much to ask that politics stop at the water’s edge, but it is reasonable to expect that national security policy not constantly be used as a partisan cudgel. Scissors-32x32.png

Were Weinberger alive today, he might argue that IS is a disgusting and benighted organization, but that it has not demonstrated the capability or intent to strike effectively at vital U.S. interests. Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree

Were Weinberger alive today, he might argue that IS is a disgusting and benighted organization, but that it has not demonstrated the capability or intent to strike effectively at vital U.S. interests.

1. I wonder if Mr Larison has ever looked at a map? 2. I seriously doubt Cap being a reasonably intelligent knowledgeable person (unlike Danny boy) would ever say anything like that.

@Draggingtree

Were Weinberger alive today, he might argue that IS is a disgusting and benighted organization, but that it has not demonstrated the capability or intent to strike effectively at vital U.S. interests.

1. I wonder if Mr Larison has ever looked at a map? 2. I seriously doubt Cap being a reasonably intelligent knowledgeable person (unlike Danny boy) would ever say anything like that.

maybe, maybe not