What Next?

Valin

www.therightreasons.netTTR:

It is (right now) looking good for the GOP. So assuming the GOP wins the Senate, I have a question.....Then What?

What do people want to see happen, & what do people expect to see happen?

One step at a time.

Do you expect anything to be done in 2015?

To tell you the truth, I hadn't thought about it. My thinking has been on this mid-term election. After that, we'll see. (Obviously I am not a deep thinker.) I guess you don't expect anything to be done in 2015, right?

One step at a time.

Do you expect anything to be done in 2015?

To tell you the truth, I hadn't thought about it. My thinking has been on this mid-term election. After that, we'll see. (Obviously I am not a deep thinker.) I guess you don't expect anything to be done in 2015, right?

I'd be surprised if anything was. One of the things I'm thinking of is moving a positive GOP/Conservative agenda forward....ie reducing the size scope of the federal government.

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

This is a very large question you ask, and will take a while to properly digest.

First off, I'd like to disabuse anybody of the notion that the new Senate can move on any of the 400 or so bills sitting on Reid's desk. Those bills all expire at the end of the present two-year cycle, so it's back to zero for them. Many got a lot of Dem votes & sponsorships, but that was because the Dems that voted on them in the House knew they were DOA in the Senate. Many of those votes will not be there for the new bills, if and when they're considered by the new House.

The first responsibility of the new Senate Majority Leader will be to assign the committee members and chairs. We'll learn a lot about how McConnell intends to run the show by how he selects the members and chairs, and whom. I think he's going to guarantee failure by rewarding his friends and punishing his enemies because that's the way he's operated as Minority Leader. This means McCain up front with the plums and Cruz goes in the back with the dregs or nothing at all. McConnell hates the TEA Party (and the rest of those damnable conservatives) more than he hates the Dems. Boehner did a similar purge in the House after the last election.

He will certainly not stand by his promise to repeal Obamacare "root and branch." He is also likely to sabotage any attempts to defund it, as he has done in the past. He'll use the excuse that Obama will surely Veto such an effort for the next two years, and he'll find some other excuse after that, if the GOP holds the majority in '16, which is doubtful. A lot of Republicans who won by slim margins in 2010 will be up for reelection, and the press will probably portray McConnell's leadership as an abject failure no matter what he does.

I expect McConnell to hold back on a lot of conservative goals for that very reason: Obama will threaten to Veto, McConnell will shrink from his responsibility. He doesn't understand the need to pin the Dems to their votes, so he will spare them the pain. Again, he will favor the Dems over the demands of the TEA Party. If he can find a way to put a stake through the heart of the TEA Party, he will. They have been and will be a major thorn in his side. He's not blind, he's seen what Boehner has to put up with in the house.

IOW, there will be a lot of "reaching across the aisle" and passage of some pretty miserable laws and Judicial nominees. Obama will get his two new Judges Princess Val says they have ready to go.

That's all for now, @Valin. I'll post more if I think of something else.

• Like 1

@Cyber_Liberty

This is a very large question you ask

This is the wonderful thing about small simple questions. H/T to Socrates.

McConnell hates the TEA Party (and the rest of those damnable conservatives) more than he hates the Dems. Boehner did a similar purge in the House after the last election.

Really? You really think they Hate the TEA Party/Conservatives? Wow! What we see here is the difference between Ideology and Politics (I'm back to that again smile.png )

Two reason why Barack Obama has not been able to get much done in Congress and why Dingy Harry has all those bills sitting on his desk is Mitch McConnell & John Boehner.

It appears (and I could be wrong) that you think They and the rest of the "Establishment" are the cause of all our problems. As has been said before this country is still Center/Right. Thats Center/Right not Center/Right.

Cyber_Liberty

@Cyber_Liberty

This is a very large question you ask

This is the wonderful thing about small simple questions. H/T to Socrates.

McConnell hates the TEA Party (and the rest of those damnable conservatives) more than he hates the Dems. Boehner did a similar purge in the House after the last election.

Really? You really think they Hate the TEA Party/Conservatives? Wow! What we see here is the difference between Ideology and Politics (I'm back to that again smile.png )

Two reason why Barack Obama has not been able to get much done in Congress and why Dingy Harry has all those bills sitting on his desk is Mitch McConnell & John Boehner.

It appears (and I could be wrong) that you think They and the rest of the "Establishment" are the cause of all our problems. As has been said before this country is still Center/Right. Thats Center/Right not Center/Right.

I just talking about tactics, ideology is a part of that, but not even necessarily the most important.

I stand by my claim that I think McConnell and Boehner hate the TEA Partiers. McConnell said as much during the Primaries, and Boehner conducted a purge of the more conservative members of the House from the most important committees.

I am not one to just blame some ethereal "Establishment," I hate that term. That's dead-ender thinking, blaming some immobile "thing" for misfortune.

I get what you are saying about center/right, but with McConnell in charge, I'm not sure we even get there. Certainly not when he starts kicking Senators for being center/right. Reagan would never have done that. You asked what the Senate would be like, and that's my humble opinion. We'll be lucky to hold the Senate for more than two years, given McConnell's proclivities. We need the votes of the "conservatives," and they won't turn out if they think the GOP is no different from the Dems.

Really? You really think they Hate the TEA Party/Conservatives?

Yes, I do. It's personal.

• 2 weeks later...

So Let’s Say The GOP Wins Big On Tuesday

Mitch Berg

October 31, 2014

So what?

The driving conceit of most third party approaches is that there is no real difference between Republicans and Democrats. And they have a point.

Half the point is “duh”, of course; politics, especially in legislatures, is all about reaching one degree or another of compromise with the other side. The closer one’s legislature is divided, the more compromising is going to happen, provided anything happens at all. If you mix a cup of orange juice and a cup of grape juice, there’s little way around the fact that you’re going to get orange-y grape juice, or grape-y orange juice.

I get it. Some compromise is inevitable.

(Snip)

Pure principles do, inevitably, get sullied by contact with the opposition – at least if you want to effect policy; Ron Paul and Paul Wellstone both were sole principled dissenters on many fractious votes; neither ever really had much legislative effect on policy.

So negotiation – compromise – is an inevitable part of politcs

But at least make it a freaking fight.

(Snip)

20141031-110156-39716777.jpg

(Snip)

• Like 2

This is a very large question you ask, and will take a while to properly digest.

First off, I'd like to disabuse anybody of the notion that the new Senate can move on any of the 400 or so bills sitting on Reid's desk. Those bills all expire at the end of the present two-year cycle, so it's back to zero for them. Many got a lot of Dem votes & sponsorships, but that was because the Dems that voted on them in the House knew they were DOA in the Senate. Many of those votes will not be there for the new bills, if and when they're considered by the new House.

The first responsibility of the new Senate Majority Leader will be to assign the committee members and chairs. We'll learn a lot about how McConnell intends to run the show by how he selects the members and chairs, and whom. I think he's going to guarantee failure by rewarding his friends and punishing his enemies because that's the way he's operated as Minority Leader. This means McCain up front with the plums and Cruz goes in the back with the dregs or nothing at all. McConnell hates the TEA Party (and the rest of those damnable conservatives) more than he hates the Dems. Boehner did a similar purge in the House after the last election.

He will certainly not stand by his promise to repeal Obamacare "root and branch." He is also likely to sabotage any attempts to defund it, as he has done in the past. He'll use the excuse that Obama will surely Veto such an effort for the next two years, and he'll find some other excuse after that, if the GOP holds the majority in '16, which is doubtful. A lot of Republicans who won by slim margins in 2010 will be up for reelection, and the press will probably portray McConnell's leadership as an abject failure no matter what he does.

I expect McConnell to hold back on a lot of conservative goals for that very reason: Obama will threaten to Veto, McConnell will shrink from his responsibility. He doesn't understand the need to pin the Dems to their votes, so he will spare them the pain. Again, he will favor the Dems over the demands of the TEA Party. If he can find a way to put a stake through the heart of the TEA Party, he will. They have been and will be a major thorn in his side. He's not blind, he's seen what Boehner has to put up with in the house.

IOW, there will be a lot of "reaching across the aisle" and passage of some pretty miserable laws and Judicial nominees. Obama will get his two new Judges Princess Val says they have ready to go.

That's all for now, @Valin. I'll post more if I think of something else.

very well put.