2014 US Senate Race – Analyzing the Polls in Close Races Plus My Prediction!

Draggingtree

2014-us-senate-race-analyzing-the-polls-in-close-races-plus-my-predictionVirginia Right: 2014 US Senate Race – Analyzing the Polls in Close Races Plus My Prediction!

Posted on 14 October 2014.

As of this moment, Real Clear Politics has the Democrats with 46 seats in this November’s midterm election and Republicans with 45. But not to worry my Republican leaning friends, those numbers really do not mean all that much.

There are 100 US Senators, 2 from each state. Senators serve 6 year terms with roughly 1/3 up for election every 2 years, unlike the US House where every seat is up for election (or reelection) every 2 years.

In the 2014 midterm elections there are 36 seats up for reelection or election. And of these 36 seats, 15 are currently held by Republicans and 21 are held by Democrats. So right out of the starting gate Democrats are tasked with holding 6 more seats than Republicans must defend. And coincidentally, Republicans need a net gain of 6 seats to take control of the Senate from Harry Reid and the Democrats. Scissors-32x32.png