Rove Agonistes

Valin

rove-agonistes-kevin-d-williamsonNational Review:

Karl Rove’s metamorphosis into legend is now complete.

Kevin D. Williamson

Oct 19 2014

‘Karl Rove targets attorney general race in California.” “Who’s afraid of Kamala Harris? Karl Rove!” “Karl Rove Attacks — We Need Your Help!” Karl Rove’s starring role in the 2010 California attorney general’s race came as a surprise to Karl Rove, who wasn’t actually involved in that particular contest. This happens with him all the time. For the Left, Rove served for many years as the go-to bogeyman, the marquee name with which to conjure before Democrats discovered Charles and David Koch. “Karl Rove” was how the Left pronounced “Satan.”

What has been peculiar in the years since then is Rove’s transformation from left-wing hate totem to right-wing hate totem, an all-purpose villain whose name is used liberally by tea-party groups and conservative populists raising funds for races in which he has no involvement. On and on they go: “Don’t let Karl Rove squish Allen West!” “Gingrich: We can’t let Karl Rove and a bunch of billionaires handpick GOP candidates for Senate.”

That’s a whole lot of hate for the last guy to manage a winning Republican presidential campaign.

“I’m a myth,” Rove says, snorting. “I’d have to be a super being to have done everything that’s attributed to me.”

(Snip)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The boys & girls at TOS have their panties twisted into an almost hermetically sealed bunch over this.