The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza On Rand Paul

Valin

new-yorkers-ryan-lizza-rand-paulHugh Hewitt Show:

Hugh Hewitt

Monday, September 29, 2014

The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza wrote a mini-biography of Rand Paul for the current issue of The New Yorker.

He joined me today to discuss the piece:

Audio

(Snip)

HH: Well, it’s very interesting. You spent more time, well, first of all, tell the audience, how much time did you spend talking with Rand Paul physically and over the phone.

RL: We had four different conversations in Washington, and in Kentucky, or I guess technically in Cincinnati and Kentucky, because one of the trips was when he gave that Urban League speech in Cincinnati, and then we drove across the water there and continued the conversation in the car. And you know, I would say a few hours in total. He was very generous with his time, answered all my questions, as he is, you know, he’s known for that. He’s one of these politicians, Hugh, who I think similar to Paul Ryan who are ideological and believe that they, the more they talk to you, the more you might come around to their view of things. And he sort of likes intellectual debate and intellectual chatter.

(Snip)

HH: Well, what’s interesting, nowhere in American history has it been the case that the sins of the father, much less the columns of the father, are visited on the son. And I was trying to think, even in American media where you see child-parent duos, or you see in politics, they never have to carry the burden of their parents’ politics almost uniquely the way Rand Paul does. And I wondered, did you feel that that was the only time you’ve ever laid that much of a parental figure’s baggage at the feet of their child in all your reporting, Ryan Lizza?

RL: That’s a really good question, and a very fair question, and I think he’s very, and it’s something that he points out. There’s a scene in the piece where he’s complaining to me about a New York Times report that he claims does that. I think you have to look, okay, did the person grow up, because obviously, his father’s very ideological, right, has strong views. So did the person grow up in that world adopting the same views? Or did he run away from them? Or what’s the relationship between the two?

(Snip)