Bush son rips GOP ad claiming father's foundation gave money to terror-linked groups

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
candidates-in-tight-georgia-senate-race-battle-over-bush-endorsementFox News:

WASHINGTON – It’s not personal. It’s politics.

That’s the takeaway after Georgia GOP Senate nominee David Perdue's camp aired ads claiming a foundation once led by his Democratic rival Michelle Nunn -- but also founded by President George H.W. Bush -- gave money to organizations linked to terrorists.

The ad has triggered a feud of sorts between the Perdue camp and Bush's son, Neil Bush, who currently is chairman of the Points of Light Foundation, the group besmirched in the ad. The younger Bush called the allegations “ridiculous” in an interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“It really makes my blood boil to think that someone would make that kind of an allegation, whether it’s an independent political group or a candidate for office,” he told the paper. “Anyone who makes the claim needs to understand the facts and then they need to denounce those claims. To attack an organization founded by my father, whose integrity is unimpeachable, to smear our organization for political gains, is in my opinion shameful.”

The timing of the first ad was peculiar. The National Republican Senatorial Committee ad, with the consent of the Republican nominee, was released shortly after former President George H.W. Bush actually endorsed Perdue in the race.

The ad, making no mention of Bush, instead focused on Nunn's leadership and said the foundation "gave money to organizations linked to terrorists." (Perdue's campaign has since released a similar ad.)

Nunn ran the Points of Light organization alongside Neil Bush for several years, and he took exception.

"Neither Points of Light nor Michelle Nunn have had anything to do with funneling money from our organization to terrorist organizations," Bush said in the AJC interview.

________

Stupid Party Syndrome strikes in Georgia?