‘A Criminal Organization Masquerading as a Political Party’

Geee

Bitter Washington DC mayoral election clouded by corruption claims

Mayor Vincent Gray faces possible federal indictment

Muriel Bowser takes slim lead in Democratic primary polls

Dan Roberts in Washington

Sunday 30 March 2014

Just days before voters in Washington go to the polls to select their next mayor, the latest corruption scandal to hit the city boiled over in a television studio as Democratic mayoral candidates exchanged angry taunts during their final broadcast debate.

The incumbent, Vincent Gray, faces possible indictment by federal prosecutors over allegations he received $400,000 (£240,000) in illegal campaign contributions from the billionaire city contractor Jeffrey Thompson, who was codenamed uncle Earl by the mayor.

Though Gray denies knowledge of their alleged 2010 deal, Thompson's decision earlier this month to plead guilty to a conspiracy to seek commercial favours from the mayor has cast a shadow over Tuesday's all-important Democratic primary, the winner of which will almost certainly win November's general election in the overwhelmingly Democratic city

(Snip)

Union campaign cash may fund Yee’s defense
Mike Antonucci
April 1, 2014

I don’t know if the FBI got back the envelope of cash it used to bribe California state senator Leland Yee, but hundreds of people and organizations won’t get back the money they donated to Yee’s campaign for Secretary of State. The law allows such contributions to be used for a legal defense fund. This is bad news for a whole lot of California unions, such as:

California Federation of Teachers

California School Employees Association

California Faculty Association

United Domestic Workers of America

California Nurses Association

AFSCME Local 3299

(Snip)

How Cory Booker’s Friends Made Out Like Bandits

New Jersey state senator Ron Rice, a Democrat, calls it “Newark-gate.” He is referring to a state comptroller’s report that details how a contractor swindled the city out of millions in public funds, and to the larger culture of “white-collar crime” that he says former Newark mayor Cory Booker allowed to flourish on his watch.

For over a month now, Rice and one of his colleagues, Republican state senator Sam Thompson, have been calling for the New Jersey Legislative Select Committee on Investigation, which is currently investigating the Bridgegate scandal, to look into the “government abuses of power and cover-ups” they say occurred in the seven years that Cory Booker — now New Jersey’s U.S. senator — served as mayor of the Brick City.

Booker, a rising star in the Democratic party, has been praised for working to root out corruption in a city long plagued by it. The comptroller’s report on the Newark Watershed Conservation and Development Corporation (NWCDC) paints a different picture — of, at best, Booker’s inattentive oversight in allowing the agency, which until recently was responsible for providing all of the city’s water, to fleece millions from the public fisc while his political allies enriched themselves. At worst, it suggests Booker knowingly let his friends enrich themselves on the city’s dime. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/374899/how-cory-bookers-friends-made-out-bandits-eliana-johnson

Question

Are these instances of corruption wide spread in the Democratic party or are they limited to certain areas/states? I ask because I don't see this kind of corruption in the DFL (MN. Democratic party).

Just off the top of my head the ones that occur to me are people that are in spots where one party or person has had power for most of the time. You know, the whole absolute power corrupts mantra. The Kennedys or Barney Frank come to my mind, but if I think about it, I'm sure I could make a list.

Just off the top of my head the ones that occur to me are people that are in spots where one party or person has had power for most of the time. You know, the whole absolute power corrupts mantra. The Kennedys or Barney Frank come to my mind, but if I think about it, I'm sure I could make a list.

I would not limit that list to just those on The Left.

I would not limit that list to just those on The Left.

Nope - but it's somewhat less because they can't seem to hang on to power that long!!!

California Democrats Await Fallout After 3 Are Caught Up in Scandals

NORIMITSU ONISHI

APRIL 3, 2014

SACRAMENTO One state senator was charged with conspiring to traffic in arms from the Philippines, and taking bribes from undercover F.B.I. agents including one who posed as a marijuana dealer. Another was accused of taking bribes from federal agents impersonating Hollywood film executives. And a third was convicted of perjury and voter fraud after lying about where he lived when he ran for office.

(Snip)

In one sign that the party is aware of the scandals potential political fallout, Darrell Steinberg, the Senates president pro tem and majority leader, canceled a planned fund-raiser scheduled for this weekend amid concerns about the appearance of Democrats being seen playing golf with lobbyists.

(Snip)

Joel Anderson, a Republican state senator from San Diego, voted against the suspensions because he favors expulsion. The suspensions, he said, amounted to paid holidays.

I believe the Democrats are out of touch with the citizens, he said. Until they have an open and honest debate on whether the senators should be expelled, I think theres going to be a dark cloud over the Democrat Party.

Steve Boilard, executive director of the Center for California Studies at California State University, Sacramento, said the scandals may accelerate a trend in which losses for Democrats amount to gains not for Republicans but for independents.

I wonder if thats the real beneficiary is of these kinds of scandals independents, he said.

• 2 weeks later...

Target 12 Exclusive: Gordon Fox’s campaign finance records sought in probe
Tim White and Ted Nesi
Tuesday, April 15, 2014

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Investigators visited former House Speaker Gordon Fox’s longtime executive assistant at her home in search of campaign finance records just before last month’s stunning raids on the Providence Democrat’s home and office, the Target 12 Investigators have learned.

Sources told Target 12 that on the morning of March 21 state and federal authorities went to Ruth Desmarais’s home in East Providence, and that she told them the documents they wanted were at the State House. Within hours, investigators executed search warrants at Fox’s State House office and his home on Providence’s East Side; he resigned the next day.

Desmarais, 64, declined to comment Tuesday when a reporter visited her home in East Providence’s Rumford section except to confirm that investigators weren’t armed with a search warrant for her house when they went there March 21.

“They were not searching my house, but that is all I will tell you,” she told Target 12.

(Snip)

H/T Friends Of Ours

• 1 month later...

Dem Mayor Who Helped Sebelius Push Obamacare Charged With Fraud

A Democratic mayor who appeared alongside U.S. Health and Human Services Sec. Kathleen Sebelius earlier this year to promote Obamacare has been charged with wire fraud in connection with an $8 million mortgage scheme.

Lucie Tondreau, who has been marred by scandal since she was elected mayor of North Miami last year, will be charged in the conspiracy alongside three other suspects.

According to the indictment, between 2005 and 2008, Tondreau conspired with the president of a South Florida mortgage company to recruit straw borrowers to obtain mortgages.

Tondreau and the mortgage company president aired advertisements on a radio show that they hosted to help prop up the scheme, the indictment alleges. The duo “recruited and paid some of the listeners who responded to those advertisements, as well as other individuals, to pose as borrowers to purchase properties”.Scissors-32x32.png

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/20/dem-mayor-who-helped-sebelius-push-obamacare-charged-with-fraud/

• 1 month later...

Obama Megadonor Indicted on Fraud and Manslaughter Charges

Obama megadonor Kareem Ahmed was indicted Tuesday by a California grand jury in an alleged multimillion-dollar insurance kickback scheme, TPM reports.

Ahmed was a major Obama donor during the 2012 election. He gave $1 million to Priorities USA Action in 2012. He also donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to other Democratic candidates.

Additionally, Ahmed called House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) his “best friend,” according to TPM.

Fifteen of his associates were also were also indicted.

Ahmed, the president and CEO of a company called Landmark Medical Management, is accused of masterminding the scheme and faces charges including conspiracy, insurance fraud, and, most dramatically, involuntary manslaughter, according to one of two sealed indictments issued by an Orange County grand jury both dated June 17 and obtained this week by TPM.Scissors-32x32.png

http://freebeacon.com/politics/obama-megadonor-indicted-on-fraud-and-manslaughter-charges/

• 3 weeks later...

Ex-New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin sentenced to 10 years

NEW ORLEANS — Former mayor Ray Nagin, the businessman-turned-politician who became the worldwide face of the city after Hurricane Katrina, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Wednesday.

Nagin, 58, was ordered to report to federal prison Sept. 8 and to pay restitution of $82,000. He was found guilty Feb. 12 of fraud, bribery and related charges involving crimes that took place before and after Katrina devastated the city in August 2005.

Prosecutors immediately objected to the sentence, which falls well below typical guidelines that called for 15-20 years.

"What Ray Nagin did was sell his office over and over and over again," Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew Coman said outside the courthouse. "The damage that Ray Nagin inflicted upon this community ... is incalculable. We as a community need not and should not accept public corruption."

Coman said a decision on whether to appeal will be made by U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/09/ray-nagin-new-orleans-mayor-sentencing/12397415/

Ex-New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin sentenced to 10 years

NEW ORLEANS — Former mayor Ray Nagin, the businessman-turned-politician who became the worldwide face of the city after Hurricane Katrina, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Wednesday.

It's not called The Big Easy for nothing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DUI arrest is California Democrats' latest blow

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Democratic state Sen. Ben Hueso was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunken driving, the latest black eye for the state's majority party and the 40-member chamber that suspended three other Democrats facing legal troubles.

Hueso, 44, of San Diego, was arrested at 2:39 a.m. and booked into Sacramento County Jail, said sheriff's Sgt. Lisa Bowman, after the California Highway Patrol stopped him going the wrong way on a one-way street.

He was released shortly before noon after posting bail of nearly $1,500 and was expected to appear in court Tuesday.

"I think I have the right to pursue my innocence, and that's what I'm going to do," he told reporters, speaking softly, with a serious expression.

Scissors-32x32.png

http://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2014/08/22/democratic-state-senator-arrested-after-dui-stop-n1882131

California State Senator Arrested For Drunk Driving Hours After Voting For Anti-Uber Bill

California state Sen. Ben Hueso was arrested for driving under the influence early last Friday hours after voting in favor of a bill placing heavy restrictions on the drivers of ride-sharing service startups Uber and Lyft.

Hueso, a Democrat who represents the Golden state’s San Diego area, was picked up and jailed by California Highway Patrol with a blood-alcohol content of 0.08 after police saw the senator’s car driving the wrong way down a one-way street, according to the Sacramento Bee. He was released around noon the same day.

Scissors-32x32.png

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/25/california-state-senator-arrested-for-drunk-driving-hours-after-voting-for-anti-uber-bill/

California State Senator Arrested For Drunk Driving Hours After Voting For Anti-Uber Bill

California state Sen. Ben Hueso was arrested for driving under the influence early last Friday hours after voting in favor of a bill placing heavy restrictions on the drivers of ride-sharing service startups Uber and Lyft.

Hueso, a Democrat who represents the Golden state’s San Diego area, was picked up and jailed by California Highway Patrol with a blood-alcohol content of 0.08 after police saw the senator’s car driving the wrong way down a one-way street, according to the Sacramento Bee. He was released around noon the same day.

Scissors-32x32.png

http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/25/california-state-senator-arrested-for-drunk-driving-hours-after-voting-for-anti-uber-bill/

What do these clowns thing Ca. is Chicago! huh.png

California wait period doesn't apply to gun owners

A federal judge has overturned part of a California law requiring a 10-day waiting period for gun buyers, ruling that it does not apply to those who already own firearms.

U.S. District Judge Anthony Ishii of Fresno ruled that "10-day waiting periods impermissibly violate the Second Amendment" for gun-buyers who already passed background checks or are authorized to carry concealed weapons

Makes sense.

NEARLY 15% OF CA SENATE DEMS CHARGED OR CONVICTED http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=249461

Last Friday morning, according to an officer with the California Highway Patrol, State Senator Ben Hueso (D-San Diego) was observed driving the wrong way on a one-way street. Hueso was subsequently arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, after allegedly flunking a field sobriety test and having a blood-alcohol level test showing he was over the .08 legal limit.

Driving the wrong way on a one-way street may be what drew the attention of a police officer to Hueso’s car, but it is also an allegory to a very troubling narrative that is emerging for the majority party in the State Capitol: California Democrats appear to be headed the wrong way themselves.

With this latest arrest it means that just about 15% of California’s Democrat Senators have either been arrested or found guilty of criminal activity this year alone.

Scissors-32x32.png

Breitbart via iOTW

The Criminal Administration http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=249419

Ben Shapiro is among the most intelligent and insightful people in the country today. They aired a presentation he gave on his new book “The People vs. Barack Obama: The Criminal Case Against The Obama Administration” on BookTV this weekend. Mr. Shapiro lays out the criminality of them all (Holder, Hillary, Learner, and of course Obama) in his speech.

Watch the presentation here: http://www.booktv.org/Watch/15961/The+People+vs+Barack+Obama+The+Criminal+Case+Against+the+Obama+Administration.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Dem Congressman’s Nonprofits Funneled Secret Repayments to Illegal Campaign Loan

Two nonprofits founded by Rep. Chaka Fattah (D., Pa) have been linked to the repayment of an illegal $1 million loan to Fattah’s unsuccessful campaign for Philadelphia mayor in 2007.

Fattah’s former aide, Gregory Naylor, has pleaded guilty in federal court to concealing the loan. Details from his plea deal claim that Fattah’s nonprofits were used to repay the loan.

The congressman has not been charged in the case, and said last week he was never involved in any illegal activities during his time in office.

Fattah has extensively supported the two nonprofits and used taxpayer money to fund them. Their spending has been subject to scrutiny in the past. According to the Philadelphia InquirerScissors-32x32.png

http://freebeacon.com/politics/dem-congressmans-nonprofits-funneled-secret-repayments-to-illegal-campaign-loan/

Bad Rep

EDITORS’ NOTE: This article has been updated since its initial publication.

In late August, a great crack resounded across Philadelphia’s Democratic establishment when Gregory Naylor, a prominent political consultant, entered a guilty plea in federal court, implicating not only himself but also a U.S. congressman and several of his key allies in a sordid and complex fraud scheme involving taxpayer dollars and campaign finances.

The plea memorandum mentions only “Elected Official A,” but numerous details corroborate the identity of Representative Chaka Fattah, one of the most powerful men in Philadelphia. The son of a vocal black nationalist activist, Fattah cut his teeth in politics in the late 1970s when he was just 22, running with a friend for election to the city commission. Though he lost that election, Fattah learned a valuable lesson about political organization and spent the subsequent decades building one of the most effective political machines in Philly, an effort that eventually won him not only local prestige but also ten terms in Congress.

Advertisement

Naylor and Fattah have dominated the African-American faction of Philadelphia’s Democratic party and “have, for years, been major figures in the political discussion here, recognized for their ability to determine the outcome of races,” says Dan Fee, a political consultant who has worked for Ed Rendell, the former governor, and other major Pennsylvania candidates.

Furthermore, as a senior member of the House Appropriations Committee, which manages more than $1 trillion in federal discretionary spending, Fattah excelled at bringing the federal bacon home to Philadelphia. “I think probably Chaka was more successful at delivering to his constituents than any number of congressmen — certainly [he is] the most successful in Philadelphia, or the Pennsylvania delegation, for that matter,” says Carl Singley, the former dean of Temple University Law School.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/387685/bad-rep-jillian-kay-melchior

Sen. Wright to resign Sept. 22, start sentence Oct. 31

Patrick McGreevy, Jean Merl

Sept. 16 2014

Ending a career in political office that spanned a dozen years, state Sen. Roderick D. Wright on Monday bowed to pressure from fellow Democrats and said he would resign his seat Sept. 22.

Three days earlier, a Los Angeles judge had sentenced him to 90 days in jail on felony perjury and voting fraud charges for lying about living in his Senate district when preparing to run for the office he won in 2008.

Wright, who was threatened by Senate leaders with an expulsion vote if he did not step down, agreed to resign but asked for a week to say goodbye to his staff and constituents.

* "It's painful," Wright said in an interview. "At the end of the day, you want to consider what's the best thing for the house and that was the best thing for the house."

(Snip)

* Painful that he got caught.