House Closes In on Lerner

Valin

house-closes-lerner-eliana-johnsonNRO:

A new Oversight report lays out obstruction case against the former top IRS official.

Eliana Johnson

3/11/14

The House of Representatives came one step closer Tuesday to holding former Internal Revenue Service official Lois Lerner in contempt of Congress.

As Oversight Committee chairman Darrell Issa (R., Calif.) prepares to call a committee vote on the matter, the body on Tuesday released a report intended to build the case that Lerner has obstructed the work of Congress by providing false and misleading information to the committee and refusing to testify before it.

If the Oversight Committee votes to hold Lerner in contempt, House speaker John Boehner could move the matter to the full Congress. His previous comments suggest he would do so. “At some point, she has to testify or she should be held in contempt,” Boehner told reporters Wednesday.

The 141-page report makes the case that Lerner’s testimony is critical to the Oversight Committee’s investigation and that she has obstructed the panel’s work by providing it with inaccurate information. Without Lerner’s testimony, the report says, “The committee will never be able to fully understand the IRS’s actions. Lerner has unique, firsthand knowledge of how and why” the IRS decided to scrutinize conservative applicants for tax exemption.

(Snip)

House report demonstrates wisdom of Lois Lerners Fifth Amendmen plea

Paul Mirengoff

(Snip)

According to the Committee report:

[D]ocuments show that Lerner and other senior officials contemplated concerns about the hugely influential Koch brothers, and that Lerner advised her IRS colleagues that her unit should do a c4 project next year focusing on existing organizations. Lerner even showed her recognition that such an effort would approach dangerous ground and would have to be engineered as not a per se political project.

Underscoring a political bias against the lawful activity of such groups, Lerner referenced the political pressure on the IRS to fix the problem of 501©(4) groups engaging in political speech at an event sponsored by Duke Universitys Sanford School of Public Policy.

Lerner not only proposed ways for the IRS to scrutinize groups with 501©(4) status, but also helped implement and manage hurdles that hindered and delayed the approval of groups applying for 501©(4) status. In early 2011, Lerner directed the manager of the IRSs EO Technical Unit to subject Tea Party cases to a multi-tier review system. She characterized these Tea Party cases as very dangerous, and believed that the Chief Counsels office should be in on the review process.

Lerner was extensively involved in handling the Tea Party casesfrom directing the review process to receiving periodic status updates. Other IRS employees would later testify that the level of scrutiny Lerner ordered for the Tea Party cases was unprecedented.

(Snip)

Mr. Times regrets
Scott Johnson

(Snip)

How is the New York Times covering the story? I can’t find a Times story on the report. I concede that I may be missing something, but I find nada. If there is something, it must be well hidden.

Turning to the search engine on the Times site and running a search on “Lois Lerner,” the most recent item listed is five days old. Unless I am missing something, the committee report is a non-story.

If you get your news from the Times, something’s not happening here. Mr. Times regrets he’s unable to cover the news today.

Mr. Times regrets

Scott Johnson

(Snip)

How is the New York Times covering the story? I can’t find a Times story on the report. I concede that I may be missing something, but I find nada. If there is something, it must be well hidden.

Turning to the search engine on the Times site and running a search on “Lois Lerner,” the most recent item listed is five days old. Unless I am missing something, the committee report is a non-story.

If you get your news from the Times, something’s not happening here. Mr. Times regrets he’s unable to cover the news today.

"All the News That's Fit to Print"

"All the News That's Fits Our Political Narrative"

Mr. Times regrets

Scott Johnson

(Snip)

"All the News That's Fit to Print"

"All the News That's Fits Our Political Narrative"

Oh I'm sure they would never do anything like that! I'm sure there is a perfectly logical reason, perhaps a more important story...kitten trapped up a tree...that sort of thing. rolleyes.gif

Draggingtree
Lois Lerner’s Lies and Cover-Up Revealed

March 12, 2014 by Matthew Vadum

Former IRS mandarin Lois Lerner orchestrated an unprecedented crackdown on Tea Party and conservative groups and then attempted to scapegoat those nonprofits, blaming them for the harsh treatment they received at her instigation, according to a damning report released yesterday by congressional investigators.

The report came out six days after Lerner appeared before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee under subpoena and for a second time refused to testify about IRS targeting of right-of-center 501c4 nonprofit advocacy groups during the 2010 and 2012 election cycles. (The full report is available in PDF form at the committee’s website.) At the March 5 hearing, which was a continuation of a hearing started last year, Lerner again opted to invoke her Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/matthew-vadum/lois-lerners-lies-and-cover-up-revealed/