Christopher Tolkien speaks out for the first time, says Peter Jackson 'eviscerated' his father's work

Valin

The Verge

Kimber Streams

January 9, 2013

J.R.R. Tolkien's son Christopher shared a special bond with his father and his legendary stories. "I grew up in the world he created," Christopher revealed in his first-ever press interview, "for me, the cities of The Silmarillion are more real than Babylon." After his father's death, he was left with 70 boxes filled with pages upon pages of Tolkien's notes, and resigned from his position at Oxford to edit and compile them. However, Christopher's love of Middle Earth does not extend to the world depicted in Peter Jackson's multi-million dollar franchise. "They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie," he told Le Monde, going on to say that the films have "reduced the aesthetic and philosophical impact of the creation to nothing."

H/T RealClear Books

• Like 1

righteousmomma

We are huge Hobbit/Lord of the Rings fans. Have been for over 35 years. We have seen every movie - from cartoon versions to the Peter Jackson version.

As I mentioned at TRR earlier the allegorical message ( read into his works) has been somewhat lost in the Jackson movies - magnificent as they are.

I think we all forget though that Tolkien himself was not trying to send a message- one we now read into his works- but was creating his own new world. Kind of reminds me of Harry Potter. I read sometime ago that many are now seeing an allegorical message in those books that the author has never so far said she intended.

The comments at the end of the Tolkien blog article are pretty descriptive both pro and con concerning authors, books and movies. Many diverse opinions. Most do not seem to have read Tolkien.

Silmarillion is hard to get into and stay in with interest. It is more an historical account or setting for Tolkien's creation of all things elves from ancient days on.

Still ( though I get bored with some of Jackson's over the top non stop action and his deep inner non capability to understand the perspective and world views of an imaginative God fearing man like Tolkien ) I will continue to watch and read each.

We are huge Hobbit/Lord of the Rings fans. Have been for over 35 years. We have seen every movie - from cartoon versions to the Peter Jackson version.

As I mentioned at TRR earlier the allegorical message ( read into his works) has been somewhat lost in the Jackson movies - magnificent as they are.

I think we all forget though that Tolkien himself was not trying to send a message- one we now read into his works- but was creating his own new world. Kind of reminds me of Harry Potter. I read sometime ago that many are now seeing an allegorical message in those books that the author has never so far said she intended.

The comments at the end of the Tolkien blog article are pretty descriptive both pro and con concerning authors, books and movies. Many diverse opinions. Most do not seem to have read Tolkien.

Silmarillion is hard to get into and stay in with interest. It is more an historical account or setting for Tolkien's creation of all things elves from ancient days on.

Still ( though I get bored with some of Jackson's over the top non stop action and his deep inner non capability to understand the perspective and world views of an imaginative God fearing man like Tolkien ) I will continue to watch and read each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yyEz_cRGb8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGAM7DHaC0Y

When I 1st read this I finally really understood the Genesis Story.

I do agree its a hard read.

The problem with trying to make a movie about books like this (and say The Chronicles Of Narnia) is they are so loved and we each have a picture in our mind, that a movie is bound to disappoint.

I have found movies have always been a disappointment. wallbash.gif

Me, too. If you go with an open mind expecting the movie not to hit all the highlights you love in a special book it can be OK, but still disappointing in the end.