The Blessing on a Scientific Discovery

Valin

The Rarest Blue

Jews love to recite blessings. We have a blessing to thank God when we wake up, when we put on our clothes, and of course before we eat – with a specific benediction for each category of food. Spices and fragrances have their own blessing as does viewing the first blossoms on a tree, strange looking animals, a rainbow, and a host of other phenomena and events. One blessing is recited when hearing good news, and another when hearing sad tidings. A meticulously observant Jew tries to make no less than one hundred blessings each day!

One explanation for this obsession with blessings is the attempt to introduce an element of spirituality into even the most mundane of circumstances. Perhaps an even more important take-away from all these blessings is that it teaches us the importance of saying thank you.

(Snip)

And so, as the laser was almost ready and the test day approached, I went to see my teacher Rabbi Aharon Lichtenstein to ask if there was a special blessing that should be made on a scientific discovery. Should it be the one recited when observing a wondrous natural phenomenon such as lightening – “Blessed is He who created the wonders of nature?” Or perhaps, since this was a discovery first observed by scientists, the proper blessing would be the one made when seeing a great intellectual – “Blessed is He who has given wisdom to flesh and blood.” Maybe some kind of mixture of the two blessing would be most appropriate.

With a soft voice that could cut like a razor, Rav Aharon responded. “I am confused. Are you looking to make a blessing praising how smart you are?” No! Of course I don’t mean that. I am looking to celebrate the scientific endeavor where man becomes partner with God in unlocking the secrets that He has hidden in the natural world. There are amazing, marvelous, almost miraculous phenomena that are buried like treasures deep down in God’s universe, but they would remain forever concealed if not for the tenacious exploration of the laws of physics – and yes, the cleverness, of science and scientists… is what I should have said… But instead, utterly deflated, I stumbled to find an answer, and meekly agreed that it might be best just to recite the standard fallback “Blessed is He who has granted us life, and sustained us, and allowed us to reach this occasion.” A bit of a letdown, but if that text can be said when putting on a new shirt, it can certainly apply to an experiment which is the culmination of six months of preparation.

(Snip)

I believe it never hurts to say Thank You.

I didn't know that about Jewish blessings. What a good thing to do. But obviously it takes some thought, not just an automatic recitation.

I didn't know that about Jewish blessings. What a good thing to do. But obviously it takes some thought, not just an automatic recitation.

I've found after a while it does almost become automatic, something good happens, no matter how small...Thank you. The trick is not to let it become meaningless....rote. I have a theory that God likes it when we say thank you, for the little things...beating the red light...etc....etc...etc.