Glenn Harlan Reynolds: The Higher Education Bubble Is Going To Burst

Valin

glenn_harlan_reynolds_the_higher_education_bubble_is_going_to_burst.htmlReal Clear Politics:

Glenn Harlan Reynolds:

6/28/12

"The buyers think that what they're buying will appreciate in value, making them rich in the future. The product grows more and more elaborate and more and more expensive, but the expense is offset by cheap credit provided by sellers who are eager to encourage buyers to buy. Buyers see that everyone else is taking on mounds of debt, and they're more comfortable when they do so themselves. Besides, for a generation, the value of what they buy has gone up steadily. What could go wrong?

"Everything continues smoothly until, at some point, it doesn't anymore. Yes, this sounds like the housing bubble, but I'm afraid it's also sounding a lot like the still inflating higher education bubble. College is getting more expensive, a lot more expensive. At an annual growth rate of 7.4 percent a year, tuition has vastly outstripped the consumer price index of 3.8 percent. It's skyrocketed past spiraling health care increases of 5.8 percent. Even the housing bubble at its runaway peak pales in comparison.

(Snip)

"Bubbles form when too many people expect values to go up forever. Simply put, the cost of higher education has far outpaced its actual value. The bubble is going to burst."

The Higher Education Bubble

Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Question: Should most of the young people going to college really be going, if so why?

• Like 1

clearvision

Do they still have "trade" type of classes in high schools anymore? Shop, 4H, drawing, etc.

Do they still have "trade" type of classes in high schools anymore? Shop, 4H, drawing, etc.

Don't know but John Ratzenberger Is concerned.

Ask yourself this simple question (Pat. Pend.) Who is more important to the nation an MBA or a Plumber?

Here is what is weird I've spent my whole working life out on the factory floor, making stuff, fixing the machine....and I have basically no mechanical aptitude, I mean I still have to say "Righty Tighty..Lefty Loosey."

clearvision

Ask yourself this simple question (Pat. Pend.) Who is more important to the nation an MBA or a Plumber?

Well it depends. Just anybody going and getting an MBA is probably not important. But someone with talent and ability to run an organization, especially with international implications is probably more important "to the nation". Without us being able to sell stuff to the rest of the world (because we import so much) we will overtime not be able to "hire" the plumber and have to do it ourselves or do without. Now if you had said "farmer" maybe slightly different.

Certainly way too many going for businesses degrees though that will never add enough value to pay for their degrees.

• 2 weeks later...