Why We Need Voter-ID Laws Now

Geee

why-we-need-voter-id-laws-now-john-fundNational Review:

John Fund

Attorney General Eric Holder is a staunch opponent of laws requiring voters to show photo ID at the polls to improve ballot security. He calls them “unnecessary” and has blocked their implementation in Texas and South Carolina, citing the fear they would discriminate against minorities.

I wonder what Holder will think when he learns just how easy it was for someone to be offered his ballot just by mentioning his name in a Washington, D.C., polling place in Tuesday’s primaries.

Advertisement

Holder’s opposition to ID laws comes in spite of the Supreme Court’s 6–3 decision in 2008, authored by liberal Justice John Paul Stevens, that upheld the constitutionality of Indiana’s tough ID requirement. When groups sue to block photo-ID laws in court, they can’t seem to produce real-world examples of people who have actually been denied the right to vote. According to opinion polls, over 75 percent of Americans — including majorities of Hispanics and African-Americans — routinely support such laws.

One reason is that people know you can’t function in the modern world without showing ID — you can’t cash a check, travel by plane or even train, or rent a video without being asked for one. In fact, PJ Media recently proved that you can’t even enter the Justice Department in Washington without showing a photo ID. Average voters understand that it’s only common sense to require ID because of how easy it is for people to pretend they are someone else

Filmmaker James O’Keefe demonstrated just how easy it is on Tuesday when he dispatched an assistant to the Nebraska Avenue polling place in Washington where Attorney General Holder has been registered for the last 29 years. O’Keefe specializes in the same use of hidden cameras that was pioneered by the recently deceased Mike Wallace, who used the technique to devastating effect in exposing fraud in Medicare claims and consumer products on 60 Minutes. O’Keefe’s efforts helped expose the fraud-prone voter-registration group ACORN with his video stings, and has had great success demonstrating this year in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Minnesota just how easy it is to obtain a ballot by giving the name of a dead person who is still on the rolls. Indeed, a new study by the Pew Research Center found at least 1.8 million dead people are still registered to vote. They aren’t likely to complain if someone votes in their place.Scissors-32x32.png

@Geee

Busy hands are happy hands.

Atlantic Wire: James O'Keefe's Latest Target: Eric Holder's Ballot

(Snip)

It's part of conservative prankster-videographer O'Keefe's ongoing campaign to show voter fraud is rampant despite Holder's insistence that it's not. (Holder's point is supported by studies from places such as NYU's Brennan Center.) Of course, the Veritas stunt really only proves that places that don't have voter ID laws don't ask for voter ID. It doesn't reveal a widespread problem of people falsely impersonating other voters. In fact, the only people it proves impersonate voters are those working for Project Veritas.

Translation: Nothing to see here...move along

It actually makes me sick. We have put our country in the hands of currupt, criminally negligent vandals. Literally turned the keys over to the inmates who were put into office by moronic voters who consider waiting in line for a welfare check, excessive labor.

We passed the law in our state, much to the chagrin of the Democratic state minority. When I voted in the Republican primary, they took my Driver's License, actually looked at the picture, looked at me, and made me say my full name and address. He handed it back and I thanked him.

It's absurd that this law is not passed everywhere. Objection is completely indefensible in my eyes. Being a state that surrounds DC, I thought it was an especially big deal.

It actually makes me sick. We have put our country in the hands of currupt, criminally negligent vandals. Literally turned the keys over to the inmates who were put into office by moronic voters who consider waiting in line for a welfare check, excessive labor.

Michael Eric Dyson says you're a racist. How dare you criticize Der Fuhrer The President! You'd never see any of this kind of Hate Speech from the Left..

ws00735.jpg

We passed the law in our state, much to the chagrin of the Democratic state minority. When I voted in the Republican primary, they took my Driver's License, actually looked at the picture, looked at me, and made me say my full name and address. He handed it back and I thanked him.

It's absurd that this law is not passed everywhere. Objection is completely indefensible in my eyes. Being a state that surrounds DC, I thought it was an especially big deal.

Photo ID for voting is on the ballot here in MN. this fall.

Govornor Goofy responds

We passed it in Wisconsin too @Saltbag, but the liberal courts here have put it on hold while they figure out if it is constitutionalrolleyes.gif This election was supposed to be the first time, but we did not have to show ID.

clearvision

There are a dozen or so states that the Justice Department is just saying no to their voter ID laws. Seems many decades ago these states signed an agreement on ever changing their laws....

Blocking the voter ID laws represents the first time the government has rejected such statutes in nearly 20 years and is in line with efforts by Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. to make the enforcement of civil rights a centerpiece of his tenure.

“The reality is that — in jurisdictions across the country — both overt and subtle forms of discrimination remain all too common and have not yet been relegated to the pages of history,” Holder said in a recent speech.

The Justice Department has the power to block the South Carolina and Texas laws under Section 5 of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which requires 16 states or parts of states with a history of discrimination to receive federal approval before changing their voting laws. The states must prove to the federal government that the new statutes would not discriminate against minority voters.

Virginia currently has a tie between state Republicans and Demo-rats, with the tie breaker vote going to a Republican. It's driving the liberals insane in this state, and I'm loving every minute of it. It seems like every vote is partisan (insert shock and surprise here.) I'm just waiting for them to "pull a Wisconsin" and go hide out in a bunker in Maryland. They'll be safe there, and hopefully they stay there. (Sorry, @Evad wink.png )

Virginia currently has a tie between state Republicans and Demo-rats, with the tie breaker vote going to a Republican. It's driving the liberals insane in this state, and I'm loving every minute of it. It seems like every vote is partisan (insert shock and surprise here.) I'm just waiting for them to "pull a Wisconsin" and go hide out in a bunker in Maryland. They'll be safe there, and hopefully they stay there. (Sorry, @Evad wink.png )

No problem...send 'em all here. I know where they'll wind up.

I'll have my cuz dial up a few tomahawks and direct them to PG, Monty and Balto City and make the place suitable for habitation.

Virginia's looking better every day.