Coffee Shop

Rheo

clearvision

Looks like the Zimmerman case in Florida is going to drag out into a court room bonanza for the media and certain political factions. He is charged with 2nd degree murder and in custody.

saveliberty

I had heard two attorneys suggest that the prosecutor would go for second degree murder with the idea that the jury may then decide for a lesser charge. Meaning that prosecution wants the worst possible charge to stick.

Edited by saveliberty

saveliberty

James Lileks

wed.jpg

Scissors-32x32.pngI pity the old Greeks. They didn’t have words like we have words. I was looking up the etymology of “Squirrel,” because there was a cute inquisitive squirrel in the backyard, and I wondered where the word came from. You can guess: French, esquirrel, from the Old Norse, skewurl, from the Greek, Skwirl, meaning “shadow tail.” Or something like that. Point is, everyone had a perfectly good word for the thing divorced from the original’s meaning. After a while people stopped saying “look at the cute shadow-tail,” and started saying “hey, squirrel.” When you’re one of of the first to name things, you have no choice but to make up literal words. They couldn’t say “squirrel” without saying “Shadow tail,” even if there wasn’t anything shadowy about the tail at the moment. I believe there’s a Slavic tongue that calls toes “foot fingers,” which makes sense, but doesn’t speak well for their ingenuity. At least fingers aren’t “hand toes.”

Squirrels are delightful. Rats, less so. I know people love them as pets, and I know people who give them the freedom of the house. They’re smart and have personalities and can be affectionate and help with the housework and lick the envelopes for bills, etc etc. Yes. But I just have this reaction: it’s a rat. So I was interested in an episode where a fellow had too many rats. Hundreds. They’d taken over the house, lived in all the furniture, had built trails and habitats through the walls, eaten through the baseboards. He was lonely, unable to come to term with his wife’s death 20 years before, and lived in a house devoid of anything but . . . rats. He’d get up every morning and scatter grain, and hundreds of rats would pour out of the walls.

“I got way too many rats,” he admitted. Of all the hoarders, he seemed the most normal, to be honest. Imagine Kris Kristopherson playing The Dude. When they started ripping up his house, they found he had, oh, a thousand rats. So they gassed ‘em? Poisoned ‘em? Drove them out to the desert beyond with ultrasonic sound?

I had heard two attorneys suggest that the prosecutor would go for second degree murder with the idea that the jury may then decide for a lesser charge. Meaning that prosecution wants the worst possible charge to stick.

They put the bar high with this charge. Manslaughter of some sort will probably be the plea charge.

I just want the facts, for both George and Travon.

Honest jury pool would be nice, but the media has tainted that now.

The facts.

That is all I ask.

edited to add: ha

George's life is over. The target on his back.

I blame the media, the hot head losers who sweep in and take a cause and our president.

Shame on them all.

Wow, @Valin! It sounds as though he wants to remain in prison.

He does. I've done some reading on this. This kind of thing (Crime) is one of the things that interests me.

They put the bar high with this charge. Manslaughter of some sort will probably be the plea charge.

The facts.

That is all I ask.

I blame the media, the hot head losers who sweep in and take a cause and our president.

Shame on them all.

Regardless if there is a trial, or weather or not he did this) his life is ruined.

• Like 1

saveliberty

The facts.

That is all I ask.

Shame on them all.

This was a witch trial. If George is innocent, his life is ruined. If he did something wrong, whatever happened, he will get it worse.

• Like 1

saveliberty

Cardinal Pell and Richard Dawkins

By Michael Potemra

Comments

Scissors-32x32.pngI tend to avoid watching debates on issues such as evolution and atheism, because such debates can usually be accurately described in the words we used to say back when I worked in the U.S. Senate: “Everything has already been said, but not everyone has said it yet.” But this hour-long discussion on Australian TV between George Pell (a prominent conservative Catholic cardinal) and scientist/anti-theist Richard Dawkins was quite captivating, because both men did justice to the issues with which they were grappling. Pell has a reputation of being combative, but he comes across in the video as thoughtful, decent, and generous. And Dawkins surprised me: I have enjoyed his books on science immensely, but have generally found his arguments on matters of religion and philosophy both abrasive and unconvincing — and yet, in this appearance, he impressed me with his engagement on those subjects.

By Michael Potemra

Comments

Scissors-32x32.pngI tend to avoid watching debates on issues such as evolution and atheism, because such debates can usually be accurately described in the words we used to say back when I worked in the U.S. Senate: “Everything has already been said, but not everyone has said it yet.” But this hour-long discussion on Australian TV between George Pell (a prominent conservative Catholic cardinal) and scientist/anti-theist Richard Dawkins was quite captivating, because both men did justice to the issues with which they were grappling. Pell has a reputation of being combative, but he comes across in the video as thoughtful, decent, and generous. And Dawkins surprised me: I have enjoyed his books on science immensely, but have generally found his arguments on matters of religion and philosophy both abrasive and unconvincing — and yet, in this appearance, he impressed me with his engagement on those subjects.

By Michael Potemra

Comments

So far there is a very technical term used is rhetoric...Dawkins is getting his ass kicked.

His major problem is The Church (I mean Christianity) has around 2,000 years of practice answering these things.

clearvision

The facts.

That is all I ask.

Shame on them all.

This was a witch trial. If George is innocent, his life is ruined. If he did something wrong, whatever happened, he will get it worse.

Now some poor jury is going to get destroyed when they can't convict him of 2nd degree murder.

• Like 1

The facts.

That is all I ask.

Shame on them all.

Totally agree.

The facts.

That is all I ask.

Shame on them all.

Totally agree.

Agree also. The fix is in, considering the way this is being handled, especially with Sharpton, Holder, and 0bama improperly chiming in, while turning their eye on the fact there was a bounty put on his head.

There is no good outcome to this. Even if the facts show 2nd degree murder is appropriate, the perception of racism and that it took a racial mob the create justice will be out there. If he's found innocent or even pleads out a lesser charge there will be riots in the streets.

• Like 1

Just saw this from Newt...

OVER, Del. -- During a meeting with 18 Delaware Tea Party leaders here on Wednesday, Newt Gingrich lambasted FOX News Channel, accusing the cable network of having been in the tank for Mitt Romney from the beginning of the Republican presidential fight. An employee himself of the news outlet as recently as last year, he also cited former colleagues for attacking him out of what he characterized as personal jealousy.

“I think FOX has been for Romney all the way through,” Gingrich said during the private meeting -- to which RealClearPolitics was granted access -- at Wesley College. “In our experience, Callista and I both believe CNN is less biased than FOX this year. We are more likely to get neutral coverage out of CNN than we are of FOX, and we’re more likely to get distortion out of FOX. That’s just a fact.”

I agree that Fox has been leaning strongly to Romney. However, to take the stand that CNN is more neutral in reporting is a laugh... about Newt or anything else... He's in deep excuse making and typical Newt hyperbole mode. That's what hurts him most.

http://www.realclear...g___113818.html

@NCTexan

It should be noted that right from the day after the 08 election the GOP establishment/media has pretty much been in the bag for Romney...with some notable exceptions, Rush & The Great One come to mind. The problem Mitt had and still has is a large part of the party doesn't like or support him, for various reasons. Now it is a loooong time till election day, but as it stands now, I don't think he'll win. In talking to people (and these are not right wing nutters) I keep hearing this. Conservatives will vote for him, the question is how hard will they work for him?