Primary 2012

Valin

That Chris Matthews has me pegged... a Southern Evangelical Christian.

How do he know?

geuu_01_img0158.jpg

How did you get this picture of my church service last Sunday? That's me in the back on the left.

tongue.png

Hot Air: Pew poll: Republicans aren’t sure this long primary is good for the party

Tina Korbe

March 15, 2012

Last month, a majority of Republicans — 55 percent — said they thought the ongoing primary and caucus process is good for the party, according to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center. Just 36 percent said they thought it was harmful. This month, the same poll showed a slim plurality of Republicans saying the process is positive. Just 47 percent said they think the long primary benefits the GOP, while 43 percent said they think it’s harmful. Political Ticker explains that, not surprisingly, voters’ opinions depend in part on which candidate they’re supporting:

(Snip)

Consider me in the camp that would have switched my response from last month to this month. But I’ll be completely honest: It’s because I’m panicked, too apt to give the Obama campaign more credit than it deserves. I’m afraid to give Obama more time to hone his magic act while Republicans are squabbling amongst themselves. I’m worried the Obama machine will trounce the GOP nominee — whoever that nominee proves to be — in November.

So I buy the conventional wisdom and the CW goes like this: While it’s technically still possible for Rick Santorum or even Newt Gingrich to capture the nomination, it’s highly unlikely. If Santorum and Gingrich do manage to keep Romney from securing a majority of delegates before August, Romney will likely still win on the first ballot at the convention. At that point, anti-Romney Republicans would have a couple months to muster enthusiasm for him. It’s not going to be easy for conservatives who’ve spent the last six months or so pounding Romney into the ground to be able to approach independents with compelling arguments for him. The more time they have to come around (because they know for a fact their choices are Romney or Obama), the better.

(Snip)

A long primary makes it hard on congressional candidates, too: Donors and voters are too focused on the presidential election to be of much help to other candidates. Yet, the House and Senate are arguably more important than the White House.

(Snip)

Comments? This is Good, Bad, Quite caring?

Hot Air: Pew poll: Republicans aren’t sure this long primary is good for the party

Tina Korbe

March 15, 2012

Last month, a majority of Republicans — 55 percent — said they thought the ongoing primary and caucus process is good for the party, according to a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center. Just 36 percent said they thought it was harmful. This month, the same poll showed a slim plurality of Republicans saying the process is positive. Just 47 percent said they think the long primary benefits the GOP, while 43 percent said they think it’s harmful. Political Ticker explains that, not surprisingly, voters’ opinions depend in part on which candidate they’re supporting:

(Snip)

Consider me in the camp that would have switched my response from last month to this month. But I’ll be completely honest: It’s because I’m panicked, too apt to give the Obama campaign more credit than it deserves. I’m afraid to give Obama more time to hone his magic act while Republicans are squabbling amongst themselves. I’m worried the Obama machine will trounce the GOP nominee — whoever that nominee proves to be — in November.

So I buy the conventional wisdom and the CW goes like this: While it’s technically still possible for Rick Santorum or even Newt Gingrich to capture the nomination, it’s highly unlikely. If Santorum and Gingrich do manage to keep Romney from securing a majority of delegates before August, Romney will likely still win on the first ballot at the convention. At that point, anti-Romney Republicans would have a couple months to muster enthusiasm for him. It’s not going to be easy for conservatives who’ve spent the last six months or so pounding Romney into the ground to be able to approach independents with compelling arguments for him. The more time they have to come around (because they know for a fact their choices are Romney or Obama), the better.

(Snip)

A long primary makes it hard on congressional candidates, too: Donors and voters are too focused on the presidential election to be of much help to other candidates. Yet, the House and Senate are arguably more important than the White House.

(Snip)

Comments? This is Good, Bad, Quite caring?

clearvision

All we are doing at this point is waiting for a mistake. Unless someone makes a colossal mistake the results will keep being the same.

Anyone see either Santorum or Romney giving this kind of speech? Talking about what is coming and how to deal with it?

That Chris Matthews has me pegged... a Southern Evangelical Christian.

How do he know?

geuu_01_img0158.jpg

How did you get this picture of my church service last Sunday? That's me in the back on the left.

tongue.png

I wasn't going to name names... A view of "the pits" would indicate that it was quite a heated service or the WallyWorld was out of Right Guard.

Romney, Santorum emphasize English language while appealing to Spanish speakers in Puerto Rico

GOP presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum are standing by their claims that English should be the official U.S. language while attempting to court Spanish-speaking voters in Puerto Rico ahead of Sunday's presidential caucuses.

Romney is running a 60-second radio spot in which his son Craig and Puerto Rico Gov. Luis Fortuno tout the candidate's plans to include the U.S. territory is his economic-recovery package, if elected.

(Snip)

On Thursday, Santorum toured the English- and Spanish-speaking island and attempted to clarify recent statements on the issue, saying English should be the official language but not the "only" one spoken in the United States.

"English should be taught here, and everyone should speak English here," Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator, said in Old San Juan. "It's not the only language in California. It's not the only language in Arizona."

(Snip)

WestVirginiaRebel

Gingrich says $2.50 is acceptable

Gingrich is struggling to stay in the race, and friends say his anger over the attack ads that hammered him in Iowa and Florida is a key reason he refuses to step aside. Gingrich said he hopes to do well in Louisiana's March 24 primary in part because he attended graduate school at Tulane, in New Orleans.

The former House speaker asked supporters for donations as small as $2.50, which he said can lead to bigger amounts. He says gasoline will cost $2.50 a gallon if he becomes president. Gingrich said he is gaining 500 to 1,000 new donors a day, but most give small sums.

I think Newt is getting desperate:

Gingrich says $2.50 is acceptable

Gingrich is struggling to stay in the race, and friends say his anger over the attack ads that hammered him in Iowa and Florida is a key reason he refuses to step aside. Gingrich said he hopes to do well in Louisiana's March 24 primary in part because he attended graduate school at Tulane, in New Orleans.

The former House speaker asked supporters for donations as small as $2.50, which he said can lead to bigger amounts. He says gasoline will cost $2.50 a gallon if he becomes president. Gingrich said he is gaining 500 to 1,000 new donors a day, but most give small sums.

I think Newt is getting desperate:

Gingrich calls on Romney to stop negative ads

But if Mitt did that, he'd have nothing to say!

Romney wins Puerto Rico, GOP campaign continues

PHILIP ELLIOTT and BEN FOX

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Mitt Romney scored an overwhelming win Sunday in Puerto Rico's Republican presidential primary, trouncing chief rival Rick Santorum on the Caribbean island even as the two rivals looked ahead to more competitive contests this week in Illinois and Louisiana.

The victory in the U.S. territory was so convincing that Romney, the GOP front-runner, won all 20 delegates to the national convention at stake because he prevailed with more than 50 percent of the vote. That padded his comfortable lead over Santorum in the race to amass the 1,144 delegates needed to clinch the nomination.

Nevertheless, the GOP nomination fight is unlikely to end anytime soon, with Santorum refusing to step aside even though Romney is pulling further ahead in the delegate hunt.

(Snip)

Romney's Puerto Rico Pitch

(Snip)

"I respect the people of this island," Romney added.

"I respect this people."

"I respect your culture."

"I respect your history."

"I respect your leaders."

Bold, Daring, Addressing the vital issues facing the nation!

Just the kind of thing some of us have come to expect from Gov. Inevitability!

Can't tell you how inspired I am.

clearvision

Paul is still saying he can wrap it up at the convention by collecting all the uncommitted delegates...

Paul is still saying he can wrap it up at the convention by collecting all the uncommitted delegates...

And I can be the staring middle linebacker for the Vikes this year. All I have to do is gain about 130 Lbs, and lose 40 years....piece of cake.

And I can be the staring middle linebacker for the Vikes this year. All I have to do is gain about 130 Lbs, and lose 40 years....piece of cake.

laugh.png

laugh.png

Why do I get the impression that you doubt this will happen?

OK, maybe it won't.

So I have come up with an absolutely brilliant idea...I just astound myself sometimes!

Why should only the best players be on professional sports teams? It's just not fair and equitable. I think it is time (no way past time) that all professional sports teams be made more diverse! So with this (magnificent0 assumption in mind I am purposing that all NFL teams be forced...I mean required..I mean encouraged to have teams composed of all different ages and levels of performance. They play in publicly funded facilities, they brodcast the games over the publicly owned airwaves, so they should allow all segments of society to participate in playing the game.

laugh.png

Why do I get the impression that you doubt this will happen?

OK, maybe it won't.

So I have come up with an absolutely brilliant idea...I just astound myself sometimes!

Why should only the best players be on professional sports teams? It's just not fair and equitable. I think it is time (no way past time) that all professional sports teams be made more diverse! So with this (magnificent0 assumption in mind I am purposing that all NFL teams be forced...I mean required..I mean encouraged to have teams composed of all different ages and levels of performance. They play in publicly funded facilities, they brodcast the games over the publicly owned airwaves, so they should allow all segments of society to participate in playing the game.

biggrin.png Very good proposal. And very fair. Just like life, right?