Primary 2012

Rheo

Friday, February 17, 2012

Romney maintains win in Maine caucuses

A recount showed Romney captured 2,269 votes to 2030 for Paul.

AUGUSTA, Maine, Feb. 17 (UPI) -- Errors in counting the vote tally from the Maine Republican caucus didn't change the outcome: Mitt Romney edged Ron Paul, results showed Friday.

A recount showed Romney, a former

Massachusetts governor, captured 2,269 votes to 2030 for Paul, the Texas congressman, CNN reported.

Former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania received 1,052 votes and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, 391. Neither Santorum nor Gingrich actively competed in the Maine caucus.

Earlier, Maine Republican Party Chairman Charlie Webster had conceded the state party made clerical errors counting caucus results but said they hadn't affected the outcome.

Among other errors, Webster said, e-mails reporting vote totals went to spam in an e-mail account, Politico reported.

Webster Saturday declared Romney the winner in Maine's Presidential Preference Poll by fewer than 200 votes, but all municipalities had not yet reported results.Scissors-32x32.png

WestVirginiaRebel

Arizona sheriff resigns Romney role after allegations

"I'm here to say that all of these accusations that are in one of these newspapers are absolutely false," Babeu said outside his office, "except to the issues that refer to me as being gay."

Babeu's former boyfriend alleged in a Phoenix New Times report published Thursday that Babeu and his attorney threatened him with deportation if the man revealed their relationship. Babeu said Saturday he had no reason to believe that the man, identified in the news report only as Jose, was an illegal immigrant. The New Times reported the man is originally from central Mexico.

The sheriff said Saturday that the man was also a volunteer on his congressional campaign, and when their relationship failed, Babeu alleged the man took control of campaign social media and committed identity theft. Babeu said at the press conference that his attorney contacted the man, who contacted his own lawyer after feeling threatened by contact from Babeu and his attorney.

Just whaaaa?

I've had a few day sabbatical from the internet due to traveling and family activities. Based on what I'm reading here, I didn't really miss much. I'm listening to Santorum's video from a few posts up. He sounds like someone who could live in my neighborhood. Which I actually find very refreshing. Not "too smart". Not "too cultured". Not trying to live inside someone else's skin. Right now he's slamming some mediote about their propensity to ask him "family values" questions over and over again. It was well handled.

I've had a few day sabbatical from the internet due to traveling and family activities. Based on what I'm reading here, I didn't really miss much. I'm listening to Santorum's video from a few posts up. He sounds like someone who could live in my neighborhood. Which I actually find very refreshing. Not "too smart". Not "too cultured". Not trying to live inside someone else's skin. Right now he's slamming some mediote about their propensity to ask him "family values" questions over and over again. It was well handled.

It's a reporter, so it goes without saying he's a mediote.

BTW That is a great word! Mediote. I think I'm going start using it.

Ok, I give. What is a Mediote exactly?

Ok, I give. What is a Mediote exactly?

A Mediocre Idiot..You know a Reporter..

At Least that's my take...and being my opinion is the only one that counts

WestVirginiaRebel

Ron Paul on Social Conservatism: 'I Think It's a Losing Position'

"Do you believe from what you see today that Rick Santorum can beat President Obama in November?" Crowley asked Paul.

"Well, I don't see how that's possible," said Paul. "And this whole idea about that talking about the social issues and who is going to pay for birth control pills, I'm worried about undermining our civil liberties, the constant wars going on, the debt of $16 trillion and they are worried about birth control pills and here he wants to, you know, control people's social lives. At the same time, he voted for Planned Parenthood."

I think he's right in that social issues alone won't win Santorum the election.

WestVirginiaRebel

Gingrich Says Defeating Obama Is A "Duty Of National Security

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich declared that defeating President Barack Obama is a "duty of national security" in a speech to students at Oral Roberts University.

"We are really at risk someday in your life time of losing an American city [in a terrorist attack]," Gingrich said, adding that in that context "defeating Barack Obama becomes a duty of national security."

Gingrich also stated that Obama "is incapable of defending the United States," making no mentions of his counterterrorism success, including the killing of Osama Bin Laden.

WestVirginiaRebel

Rick Santorum aide gaffe: Obama’s ‘radical Islamic policies’

Rick Santorum’s spokeswoman Alice Stewart said in a TV interview on Monday that Santorum was referring to President Barack Obama’s “radical Islamic policies” when he said the president’s agenda was driven by “phony theology” — but then quickly called up MSNBC after the segment aired to say she misspoke.

“There is a type of theological secularism when it comes to the global warmists in this country. That’s what he was referring to. He was referring to the president’s policies in terms of the radical Islamic policies the president has,” Stewart said on “Andrea Mitchell Reports.”

Mitchell later said on the air that Stewart phoned the show after the interview to say she had slipped up and said “radical Islamic policies” instead of Obama’s “radical environmental policies.”

Mitchell noted she had missed Stewart’s phrasing of “radical Islamic policies” during the live interview.

“She had repeatedly said during that same interview ‘radical environmental policies’ and she said she slipped when she apparently said [it],” Mitchell said. “I did not hear it, or I would have caught her on it and tried to get a correction at the moment. I really, frankly, did not hear her use the word Islamic, but the tape tells the tale.”

Question: What was a Rick Santorum spokesperson doing on MSNBC in the first place?

WestVirginiaRebel

As Santorum seizes social issues, Romney demurs

It's not unusual for the GOP to face intra-party struggles between conservatives focused largely on social issues such as abortion and school prayer, and those focused mainly on financial matters such as spending and taxes. Sometimes the quarrels become loud and problematic, as when Pat Buchanan called for a "culture war" at the 1992 Republican national convention. President George H.W. Bush, already facing troubles, lost to Bill Clinton that fall.

Santorum, a devout Catholic, clearly welcomes the renewed emphasis on social issues generated in part by the flap over contraception policies at Catholic-affiliated institutions and the quarrel between Planned Parenthood and the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast cancer charity.

Even with some polls showing Santorum surging, however, Romney has stuck with the same style and message he has used for months. The former Massachusetts governor sells himself as the efficient CEO who will fix the economy. He makes little mention in his standard campaign speech of the social issues that increasingly have dominated Santorum's events.

WestVirginiaRebel

Poll: Republican voters oppose a 'brokered' convention

By 66%-29%, the Republicans and Republican-leaning independents surveyed say it would be better if one of the four candidates now running managed to secure enough delegates to clinch the nomination. Most are happy to see their roller-coaster campaign continue: 57% say the battle isn't hurting the party.

The findings come as Romney, who is fighting to avoid catastrophe, now trails Santorum in Michigan, which holds its primary next week. A defeat in the state where Romney was born and his father served as governor would weaken his prospects and intensify speculation about some new contender emerging.