- - - - -
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 Valin

• Board Member
  • 46,134 posts
  • Minnesota

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:21 AM

Daniel Terdiman

AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands--Not long ago, I asked Scott Summit, a pioneer in using 3D printing in the design of custom prosthetics and an industrial design expert, who he would recommend I look into if I wanted to see the best in the world at using this young technology to make and sell consumer products. His answer, without hesitation? A small company run by Janne Kyttanen in the Dutch capital called Freedom of Creation.

In the late 1990s, Kyttanen had a vision. As a student in design school, he was turned off by traditional product manufacturing, storage, and distribution methods, and he thought there was a better way.

The vision was of a way to use a technology then barely known--3D printing, which was mainly being used to make medical and auto parts--and selling products that people could design themselves and sell them strictly over the Internet. Production would be fast, design would be key, and individual customization would be easy.

I wonder?.......
Posted Image

#2 pollyannaish

• Board Member
  • 19,826 posts
  • Washington

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Love this. Thanks Valin!

If I was young again, I'd go into industrial design. I'm proud that my husband and I were the ones that suggested the ID program at the University where we taught. It's now one of the most popular majors in the department we were in.

I guess I was just born too late and born too soon all at the same time. :lol:

#3 Saltbag

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

We do this all the time at my company to prototype designs in a polymer like this. We make a design in CAD, email the file, then get the model "printed" in a few days.

In my work, I do more with equipment tooling. I frequently design parts in Solidworks or Unigraphics, and have them almost equally "printed" from a chunk of metal on a CNC.

You are absolutely right that cars are modeled like this. This is the software that is used. Unigraphics NX is awesome. You can build a car down to the nut and bolt and verify all the motion. Every part, all the tolerances, it's amazing software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users