Candidate-Rick Perry

Rheo

Perry's not my choice, but at least he has a sense of humor about his flub-up. He just did the Top 10 List (Rick Perry Excuses) on the Late Show with David Letterman.

The problem Perry has is how many times can he do something like this, and still survive?

I think it's already too late for that. While his attributes are well known in Texas, most of the rest of the country has only seen his bumbling performances in the debates.

Not knocking the man's intelligence or abilities. It's just that first impressions are hard to dispel.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem Perry has is how many times can he do something like this, and still survive?

I think it's already too late for that. While his attributes are well known in Texas, most of the rest of the country has only seen his bumbling performances in the debates.

Not knocking the man's intelligence or abilities. It's just that first impressions are hard to dispel.

You may very well be right. There's a very steep learning curve in running for President, I think that's one reason Mitt has not made any real mistakes....he made them all last time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting those videos, most of them are quite good IMO. I'm still wanting Perry to pull this one off. It's surreal that a nut like Ron Paul is polling better than Rick Perry. Perry is my choice, but I could settle for Newt or even Mitt.

It's surreal that a nut like Ron Paul is polling better than Rick Perry.

You're only saying that because you don't really grasp the wonderfulness of St Ron!

ronpaul2-460x307.jpg

Don't you know that Dr. Paul is the only real true conservative in this race and that his excrement is nonodoriferous! Anyone who is not for Ron Paul is progressive rino and a traitor to the Constitution!

RON PAUL ROCKS

• 2 weeks later...

The Hill: Rick Perry files challenge to Virgina ballot access rules

Daniel Strauss

12/27/11

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is filing a federal court challenge to Virginia's ballot access rules on Tuesday in response to his failure to qualify for the state's Republican presidential primary vote.

The legal action is in response to Perry not collecting the minimum 10,000 signatures to get on the ballot of the March 6th Republican primary.

"Virginia ballot access rules are among the most onerous and are particularly problematic in a multi-candidate election," Perry campaign communications director Ray Sullivan said in a statement. "We believe that the Virginia provisions unconstitutionally restrict the rights of candidates and voters by severely restricting access to the ballot, and we hope to have those provisions overturned or modified to provide greater ballot access to Virginia voters and the candidates seeking to earn their support."

(Snip)

PDF File

Why did Rick Perry stay in? Pretty obvious

by Michael Barone

snip

Silver advances two scenarios for Perry’s decision. One is personal: pride demands that he keep on fighting. The other is political: his advisers, major donors, conservative leaders all demanded that he keep on.

Neither seems persuasive to me. Let me suggest a third, which I have not seen or heard anyone else advance (although I have may have missed it in the plethora of commentary). Let me call it the Tim Pawlenty scenario, after the former Minnesota governor who dropped out of the race after he lost to Michele Bachmann (and Ron Paul) in the Ames, Iowa, Republican straw poll last August 13.

Where would Pawlenty be today if he hadn’t dropped out? That’s a question Rick Perry may have thought about. As with all historical counterfactuals, we don’t know the answer, but one plausible possibility is that he may have emerged, some time between August 13 and now, as the main challenger to Mitt Romney, and he may have proved to have more staying power in that role, indeed to have overtaken Romney by many if not all metrics and not just for a month but for a much longer period of time, if he had stayed in the race. He might—might, we can’t be sure of this, but for those of us who have observed him over the years the possibility doesn’t seem nontrivial—be right now on the most plausible flight path to the Republican nomination.

snip

I am inspired to think this by a thought experiment I did after the 1992 election. As you will recall, Democrats were thought to have no chance to win in the first half of 1991 and many prominent Democrats—including Al Gore, John Kerry, Lloyd Bentsen, Bill Bradley, Dick Gephardt—decided not to run. Bill Clinton, then facing political extinction in Arkansas (both a Democratic primary opponent and a Republican general election opponent had gotten about 40% against him in 1990; it looked like his long string of Arkansas victories was about to end, with neither of the state’s two popular Democratic U.S. senators doing him the favor of retiring without winning another term) decided to run and declared in October 1991. Against weak primary opposition who were unable to beat him despite the Gennifer Flowers revelations, the draft dodging scandals and many other problems; aided by a Ross Perot whose critique of George H. W. Bush undermined him; and against a president, Bush, who at age 68 and after the 50th anniversary of his entry into public service might, absent the example of Ronald Reagan being elected president at ages 69 and 73, have chosen to retire, Clinton won.

Clinton is a brilliant politician, and he made it look easy. Nonetheless, I think after the 1992 election these other Democrats I have mentioned—Gore, Kerry, Bentsen, Bradley, Gephardt and probably others—went through the following thought exercise. They said, let me make a list of the reasons I was not elected president in 1992.

Reason one: I did not run for president in 1992.

Reason two: There is no reason two.

snip