Candidate-Rick Perry

Rheo

The latest telephone poll directed by Rick Perry, the Texas Governor, asked whether people who live in Texas think illegal immigration is a serious problem:

29% responded, "Yes, it is a serious problem."

71% responded, "No es una problema seriosa."

Haha, Jim. Reminds me of the old joke that they polled the English about Islamic immigrants, and sixty percent said there were too mnay and the rest answered "no" in Arabic.

Perry has apologized for his remarks, wish he had done it days ago. Still, I like him and I realize, Val, that he attended one Bilderburg conference in 2007. The way the supporters of the various candidates attack each other at THAT place is the reason I'm not posting there anymore. It doesn't make any sense when some Ron Paul supporter calls Rick Perry a "RINO".

H/T Common Ground Politcs's sojourner

Short History Lesson: Turns out "Niggerhead" was once a name "often given to mountains and creeks and rock outcroppings across the country," even to soaps and other household goods. Later, in 1962, after much civil rights lobbying, the U.S. Board on Geographic Names redubbed many of the locations Negrohead. Evidently it forgot about this one. (Courtesy of the Washington Post, which broke this story.)

NY Magazine

pollyannaish

This hit piece on Perry is stupidly laughable. It's a ridiculous charge and shows how desperate the msm and left are.

But, I've also decided that Rick Perry is an excellent example of "the grass is always greener...: and that fresh blood isn't always a good thing. I'm not sure that Perry's entrance into the race has done much to raise the level of debate. He has distracted us all for a bit. Maybe that is a good thing, but I find it tedious and keeps other less establishment candidates from getting thoroughly vetted and provided enough time on the stage.

He makes a fine Governor of Texas, and I wish him all the best there.

Right Scoop: Perry: “I know for a fact that in 1984, that rock was painted over”

Washington Post

Now then can we move on to something else....like (oh I don't know) can Rick beat "The One" like a bongo drum.

Cause I've got to tell ya that's pretty much all I care about. I want to say Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, I want Slow Joe Biden go away and quite giving me headaches....I want to see the entire Left throw a communal hissy fit on national TV.

here endth the rant rant #612,763,991....more to follow...I'm sure

WestVirginiaRebel

Perry Backer: Romney in a 'Cult,' Not a Christian

The pastor who introduced Texas Gov. Rick Perry at a conservative gathering Friday said rival presidential candidate Mitt Romney is not a Christian and is in a cult because he is a Mormon.

Robert Jeffress, senior pastor at First Baptist Church in Dallas, endorsed Perry at the Values Voters Summit, introducing him as "a proven leader, a true conservative, and a committed follower of Christ."

After his remarks, Jeffress told reporters that Perry's religion is different from Romney's.

"Rick Perry's a Christian. He's an evangelical Christian, a follower of Jesus Christ," Jeffress said. "Mitt Romney's a good moral person, but he's not a Christian. Mormonism is not Christianity. It has always been considered a cult by the mainstream of Christianity."

Romney is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose members are commonly called Mormons.

Perry's campaign said the Texas governor disagrees with Jeffress.

"The governor does not believe Mormonism is a cult," said spokesman Mark Miner.

________

With friends like these... :unsure:

Some more here. This guy is apparently serious.

• 2 weeks later...

Perry Calls for Replacing Income Tax With Flat Tax

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is calling for replacing the federal income tax with a flat tax, a conservative idea long condemned by liberals as a regressive burden on lower- and middle-income taxpayers.

The Republican presidential hopeful previewed his economic plan for the country at the Western Republican Leadership Conference in Las Vegas, but offered few details. He said he would unveil a proposal next week calling for creation of a flat tax, which would replace the present system of graduated tax rates based on income with a single rate for all taxpayers, regardless of income.

Perry told an audience of about 150 Republicans that his plan would also include a ban on congressional earmarks, passage of a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution, spending cuts, and entitlement reform. He plans to unveil details in a speech on Tuesday in South Carolina.

(Snip)

For Perry, A Rapid Fundraising Rise -- and Fall

Texas Gov. Rick Perry kicked off his presidential campaign with an aggressive fundraising schedule that quickly made him a front-runner for the Republican nomination. But reports his campaign filed with the Federal Election Commission show that his ability to attract big money fell off steeply in September—perhaps not coincidentally—at the same time a series of rocky debate performances threatened his early front-runner status.

As Perry arrives on Friday in Washington for a private meeting with K Street insiders, the question is whether he can convince the smart money that his campaign is worth an investment. After three torrid weeks in August when he raised more than twice as much as his nearest fundraising rival, Perry has now fallen back into a much more competitive fundraising race with Mitt Romney. That is not good news for a candidate who, because of his late entry into the race, has a lot of catching up to do. Romney has raised $32 million since the beginning of this campaign cycle.

In his first week on the trail, Perry raised more than $1.5 million from supporters who donated more than $200 each, the FEC reports show. He raised another $2 million the following week and a staggering $5.3 million during the week of Aug. 28, when buzz around his candidacy reached a peak.

Perry’s three worst fundraising weeks coincided with a series of weak debate performances. Perry's halting style, inability to hit talking points, and apparent fatigue toward the end of the debates sent his poll numbers plunging.snip

http://nationaljournal.com/politics/for-perry-a-rapid-fundraising-rise-and-fall-20111020

Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry, who admits he is not the "slickest" debater, may not participate in all the remaining 2012 debates because there are so many.

Perry communications director Ray Sullivan said what many campaigns have been saying privately -- that the number of debates is taking away from actual campaigning and that there is no way to do all of them.

The Texas governor, perhaps more than other candidates, has ample reason to stay away from some debates, however.

He has struggled in four out of the five debates he has participated in so far, a contributing factor in his fall from the front-runner position.

A CBS/New York Times poll of Republican voters this week gave him only 6 percent support nationally, putting him in fifth place.

Sort of an awkward position for him after his performance in the first few.

Newt had a good comment on the news this morning saying that if Perry isn't up to debating his fellow Republicans why would anyone think he would prevail in debates with the pres.?

I think Rick Perry is doing the right thing for himself with opting out of these debates. His participation in them has only hurt his campaign, which is the sole purpose of the MSM's sponsorhip of them. Newt will just have to console himself by debating Herman Cain.

WestVirginiaRebel

Perry Defends 'Odd' Video

Hours after several well-known political pundits commented publicly on his "odd" behavior at a New Hampshire banquet last week, Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry on Tuesday shrugged off the buzz surrounding a video of the event that has gone viral.

"I would always tell people to go back and ask Dan Balz," Perry told reporters at a campaign stop, referring to a weekend column in which the veteran Washington Post reporter described Perry as "loose, extremely animated, and even playful" when he spoke on Friday to a banquet of conservative activists in Manchester, N.H. "This was a great crowd, good response, and I guess you can do anything you want with a video and make it look any way you want, but it felt good, felt great," Perry said. "I felt the message got across very well."

The performance got distinctly different reviews on Tuesday morning at National Journal's Election Preview. Two veteran political strategists suggested that Perry was under the influence. The Texas governor's ebullient performance was "not presidential," said Democratic consultant Steve McMahon, adding, "Perhaps he had been drinking." Republican Charlie Black, who advised former presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush, agreed that Perry's behavior was "odd." Noting that Perry has had back surgery, Black added: "Maybe it was back medicine that he had too much of."

Moderator Bob Schieffer of CBS said the governor was "sort of acting silly."

Perry did not appear dismayed by the reviews from Washington. Asked if the New Hampshire performance represented "a Rick Perry we can expect to see more," the governor promised he will be "very energized, very focused."

Related: Perry wasn't drunk at speech, says host

"I can tell you unequivocally he wasn’t drinking at the event and he hadn’t been drinking prior to the event," said Kevin Smith, the executive director of Cornerstone Action, the conservative group that hosted the event over the weekend. "I was sitting with him, and I found him to be very engaging with all of the people he was talking with, he was very articulate."

Judge for yourselves:

I think Rick Perry is doing the right thing for himself with opting out of these debates. His participation in them has only hurt his campaign, which is the sole purpose of the MSM's sponsorhip of them. Newt will just have to console himself by debating Herman Cain.

That should be good.

I don't know why, but once I got to know Perry a little, I just don't care for him AT ALL.

He just seems....I don't know. Just not clicking with me in the slightest. I am disappointed.

I don't know why, but once I got to know Perry a little, I just don't care for him AT ALL.

He just seems....I don't know. Just not clicking with me in the slightest. I am disappointed.

Can't disagree with that.

Group: Texas jobs fund missing job creation goals

11/9/11

A government watchdog group in Texas said Wednesday that a job creation program touted often by Gov. Rick Perry as he seeks the Republican presidential nomination has delivered on barely a third of the jobs it promised to bring to the state by the end of last year.

But Perry's office fired back immediately at Texans for Public Justice, arguing the end of 2010 is a false deadline and the report an unfair judgment on the success of the Texas Enterprise Fund. The figures cited by the group, a left-leaning organization that's often critical of Perry, are future job-creation targets that were never meant to be reached by last year, a Perry spokeswoman said.

The fund, Perry spokeswoman Lucy Nashed added, "continues to be one of the state's most competitive deal-closing tools."

(Snip)

WestVirginiaRebel

Via Hot Air:

A few choice quotes. Larry Sabato:
To my memory, Perrys forgetfulness is the most devastating moment of any modern primary debate.
Rich Lowry:
That might be the most uncomfortable moment Ive ever witnessed in presidential politics.
Mona Charen:
That was the greatest flame-out Ive ever witnessed in a debate.
Hes down to 4.9 percent now on InTrade; before the debate he was at 9.3 percent. Remember two months ago when he was going to be the guy who saved us from Romney? Yeah.

Ouch.

It was hard to watch, and something I'm sure all of us has experienced. Having said that, on the stage at a major debate, it is not good to get brain lock on a major policy point.

It was hard to watch, and something I'm sure all of us has experienced. Having said that, on the stage at a major debate, it is not good to get brain lock on a major policy point.

Agree!

Example: in my final exam for english in high school. I studied really hard and had it down pat! Opened the test....complete and total blank...I take that back, I got my name right.