Candidate-Rick Perry

Rheo

"This administration in Washington that's in power now clearly believes that government is not only the answer to every need, but it's the most qualified to make the most central decisions for every American in every area," Perry said. He called Obama's approach to the economy "an affront to every freedom-loving American and a threat to every private sector job in this country."

"I stand before you today as a disciplined, conservative Texan, a committed Republican and a proud American, united with you in the desire to restore our nation and revive the American dream," he said.

gallery_3_15_5722.jpg

Texas' 47th governor, and the first Texas A&M graduate to occupy the Governor's Mansion, Rick Perry has led a life of public service, starting in the United States Air Force and continuing over two decades in elected office.

Governor Perry's administration has focused on creating a Texas of unlimited opportunity and prosperity by improving education, securing the border and increasing economic development through classic conservative values.

During his tenure, Governor Perry has maintained a strong focus on fiscal discipline, becoming the only Texas governor since World War II to sign budgets that reduced general revenue spending. He has used his line item veto to scrub more than $3 billion in budgeted spending, while encouraging investments in the building blocks of a prosperous state: the economy, education and security.

gallery_3_15_5722.jpgRick Perry

Presidential 2012

Website

Links to the Candidate News Threads

Herman Cain:

Tim Pawlenty:

Bachmann

Mitt Romney

Gary E Johnson:

Newt Gingrich

Rick Santorum

Jon Huntsman Jr:

Ron Paul: Candidate

Gov. Rick Perry’s amazing speech to RLC 2011

snip

Governor Rick Perry gave an outstanding speech today to RLC 2011. He talked about the problems with our country, namely Obama, and the need to get back to our founding principles. He also talked about his record as Governor of Texas, highlighting the Loser Pays legislation to stem frivolous lawsuits and the legislation that requires someone considering an abortion to have an ultrasound first, both of which got joyful applause.snip

Texas Gov. Rick Perry ( R) will travel to New Hampshire in October, a schedule change that could signal a possible White House run.

Perry will keynote a fundraiser dinner by Cornerstone Action, a conservative group in the state. Kevin Smith, the group's executive director, said they had reached out to Perry to headline the event in early May, and confirmation came this week.

"We reached out to him and we had reached out some time ago, probably at the beginning of May," he said. "So it was actually before any of the rumors about him being serious about running for president." snip

The Hill

"Dixie Dilemma" A Rick Perry presidential candidacy would compel the GOP to confront its ambiguous relationship with the South.

In many ways, Texas Gov. Rick Perry looks like a gift from central casting to a Republican presidential field still searching for its marquee attraction.

After all, Perry, who visited Southern California this week as he explores the race, is a big-state executive with a strong economic record and hard-edged fiscal and social views attractive to the party’s most energetic grassroots conservatives. “He checks so many boxes,” says Mark McKinnon, an Austin-based Republican consultant.

But one other element of Perry’s resume complicates that picture: he’s a Southerner—and specifically a Texan. As such his candidacy would compel the GOP to confront its ambiguous relationship with the South, especially since it would follow so soon after the tumultuous presidency of another Texas governor, George W. Bush.

In recent years, the South has operated both as a blessing and a burden for the GOP. The region, defined as the 11 states of the Old Confederacy plus Oklahoma and Kentucky, has become the cornerstone of the Republican electoral coalition. Yet as the GOP has become dominant across Dixie, and more closely identified with its uncompromising brand of social and economic conservatism, it has struggled in other regions, especially during the Bush era.

snip(Source)

------------------------------------

I don't ever recall voting for or against a candidate based on the state they were from.

Pro Perry effort hires former Newt staffer in Iowa

The group "Americans for Rick Perry," which made headlines in the last two days for trying to light a fire for the Texas governor in the form of support at the Ames Straw Poll in Iowa next month, is making hires - including a top former Newt Gingrich staffer, sources told POLITICO.

Craig Schoenfeld, a veteran Iowa strategist, has been brought on board and has started nascent discussions with others about six-week contracts - meaning the duration of the lead-up to the Ames poll, the sources said.

Schoenfeld ran Gingrich's Iowa effort until the massive Newtiny that saw nearly 20 staffers quit last month, in part because the candidate wouldn't commit to the retail politics and fundraising involved in winning the state.

His presence gives the group instant heft.

Schoenfeld declined to comment, and directed calls to Bob Schuman, the California-based consultant who is spearheading the pro-Perry effort, which is raising money to support the governor, even as he weighs whether to jump in.

Schuman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Two other former Gingrich advisers, Dave Carney and Rob Johnson, have long ties to Perry. But a top Perry adviser said there's been no contact with the group, which is an independent expenditure.snip

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/58240.html

Gov. Rick Perry: The Candidate Obama Would Fear the Most

More than any other potential GOP presidential candidate, President Obama fears Texas Gov. Rick Perry. That's because Perry is the only one who can devastate virtually any Obama claim.

Take the whine we hear most often from the President: That President George W. Bush handed him a terrible economic situation. As USA Today reported June 2: "[White House spokesman Jay] Carney noted that when Obama took office on Jan. 20, 2009, he faced the worst economy since the Great Depression. Obama also inherited the biggest budget deficits in history, from a Republican President—George W. Bush—who had come into office with budget surpluses."

A full two and a half years after taking office, Team Obama still blames Bush—for everything except the fall of Adam. Well, there is one other elected chief executive who inherited a Bush economy: Rick Perry, as governor of Texas. And yet I have never once heard Perry whining that the state would be doing so much better if it hadn't been for the policies of his predecessor.

To use a football analogy—I mean, we're talking about Texas—it's not who hands you the football and it's not where the ball is handed to you, it's what you do with the ball after you have it.

Rick Perry took the ball from Bush and scored an economic touchdown for Texas. Obama took the ball from Bush and fumbled it—repeatedly—giving the other team a chance to score a touchdown.

Which brings us to the Obama vs. Perry records on the economy. What has happened to some of the key indicators of economic well-being since Obama has been in charge (roughly January of 2009 to June 2011)?snip

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=44655

Hot Air: Leaders of the Christian Right find their preferred candidate in Rick Perry

(Snip)

Add to that, this: Leaders of the Christian Right are now seeking him out behind the scenes.

In early June, TIME has learned, a group of prominent figures on the Christian Right held a conference call to discuss their dissatisfaction with the current GOP presidential field, and agreed that Rick Perry would be their preferred candidate if he entered the race. Among those on the call were Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council; David Barton, the Texas activist and go-to historian for the Christian Right; and John Hagee, the controversial San Antonio pastor whose endorsement John McCain rejected in 2008.

Religious conservatives have often played a substantial role in choosing past Republican nominees, but leaders on the Christian Right have been conspicuously quiet so far in this campaign season. Privately, however, they are enthusiastic about Perry and are encouraging the Texas governor to throw his ten-gallon hat into the ring.

Perry’s favor with the Christian Right is relatively new, and he is their candidate of choice as much by default as anything.

(Snip)

So, it’s not so much a surprise that the Christian Right would support Rick Perry, as it is a surprise they find the present GOP field so dismal. You’d be hard-pressed to find two more socially conservative presidential candidates than Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, for example. Santorum might be easily dismissed — as Time’s Amy Sullivan so wittily put it, “his poll numbers in Iowa are smaller than the number of children he has” — but Bachmann’s impressive surge in popularity might conceivably have garnered her the support that Perry has picked up seemingly without so much as lifting a finger.

(Snip)

• 3 weeks later...

Judge Tosses Suit Seeking to Stop Gov. Perry's Sponsorship of Texas Prayer Rally

A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit that sought to stop Gov. Rick Perry from sponsoring a national day of Christian prayer and fasting, ruling Thursday that the group of atheists and agnostics did not have legal standing to sue.

U.S. District Judge Gray H. Miller said the Freedom From Religion Foundation argued against Perry's involvement based merely on feelings of exclusion, but did not show sufficient harm to merit the injunction they sought.

"The governor has done nothing more than invite others who are willing to do so to pray," Miller said.

snip

A day earlier, Perry defended the event, comparing it to President Obama's participation in the National Day of Prayer.

"My prayer is that the courts will find that the first amendment is still applicable to the governor no matter what they might be doing and that what we've done in the state of Texas or what we've done in the governor's office is appropriate," he said. "It's no different than what George Washington or Abraham Linlcoln or President Truman or President Obama have done."

Perry, an evangelical Christian, said he didn't yet know what his role in the rally would be.

"I'm going to be there -- I may be ushering for all I know -- I haven't gotten my marching orders," he said. "It's not about me and it's not about the people on the stage either, this is truly about coming together as a state lifting up this nation in prayer, having a day of prayer and fasting. That's all it is."

snip

WestVirginiaRebel

Hmmm:

Rick Perry: I support constitutional amendments to ban gay marriage and abortion

You can be a strong federalist and still condone federal solutions for exceptionally grave evils like slavery which the states, for various reasons, can’t be trusted to police as diligently as they should. That’s the core of the pro-life argument for an anti-abortion amendment — it’s a matter, literally, of life and death. What’s Perry’s argument, though, for why gay marriage qualifies as an “exceptionally grave evil” warranting a nationwide ban? Is smoking, say, an evil sufficiently grave to require a constitutional amendment outlawing it? (Don’t answer that, liberals.) He’s not in a legal trap here but he is in a philosophical one. And a political one, of course, as the press will use this to throw him off his economic message. Specify, please, which behaviors are so pernicious that we can’t risk letting parochial state legislatures deal with them.

Perry should have quit while he was ahead on this one IMO.

clearvision
Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s expected announcement Saturday about a presidential run will cast shadows on the Iowa straw poll that same day and could serve as a game changer in the unsettled crop of GOP candidates, political insiders said Monday.

Perry, a social conservative who touts his job creation record, is expected to make clear he intends to run, but may stop short of a formal declaration of candidacy, according to reports by Politico and the New York Times, citing unidentified sources.

Associates close to the governor would not publicly confirm the reports. David Carney, a consultant who works closely with Perry, simply wrote in a statement to the Register to “stay tuned.”

Looks like he is going to be in.

righteousmomma

This should be an interesting development - I know Texans who love him and I know Texans who absolutely cannot stand him.

I am neutral at this point.

WestVirginiaRebel

BREAKING: Perry will announce Saturday

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry will announce that he is running for president on Saturday in South Carolina, a Republican familiar with the plans told CNN.

Previous reports had indicated that Perry would use a speech at the conservative RedState Gathering in Charleston to make his intentions clear, but would stop short of officially announcing a presidential bid.

But the Republican source told CNN that Perry will be in the Republican presidential race on Saturday.

Also, Fox News.

pollyannaish

I am excited about his entry into the race, frankly. There are so many retreads right now in the lead, that having him come in with good name recognition...but little baggage is a relief.

From what I know, until I hear differently...he and Herman Cain are my front runners, with Romney a semi-competitive 3rd.

(And I have to say that I am putting his feud with the Bush family aside to support him. Since I do want to retain my Bushbot credentials. Heh.)

Wow. I don't think I've ever read anything quite so....oddly derogatory. I might have to take a shower from the sleaze.

Say or do anything? Isn't that the whole point of "hope and change? What a grosser.

But I think this is a hopeful sign. The GOPers they call dumb are usually the ones that kick their butts!

Thanks for the link

(linking from your link)

Rick Perry on the Record

Q. I see how that might make sense for, say, education. But what would it mean for something like Social Security—a big, national safety net? In the book, you call Social Security a “failure” that “we have been forced to accept for more than 70 years now.” Is it time for it to end?

A. Well, the counties of Matagorda, Bresoria, and Galveston in 1981 decided they wanted to opt out of this Social Security program. They have now very well funded programs and their employees are going to be substantially better taken care of then anybody in Social Security. So I would suggest a legitimate conversation about let the states keep their money and implement the programs. That’s one option that’s out there. But I didn’t write the book and say here are all the solutions. I think the first step in finding the solutions is admitting we have a problem—and admitting that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme.

WOW! Talk about ultra radical extremism!!! :rolleyes:

One of the major themes in manufacturing today is push power down...push it down to the lowest level possible.

Wow. I don't think I've ever read anything quite so....oddly derogatory. I might have to take a shower from the sleaze.

Say or do anything? Isn't that the whole point of "hope and change? What a grosser.

But I think this is a hopeful sign. The GOPers they call dumb are usually the ones that kick their butts!

I don't know what you would expect from James Carville's business partner and one of Bill Clinton's closest advisers. He is, and always has been, one of the greasy political hacks the Dims have ever set loose.

Loved the rant about secession.......apparently he is unaware that Texas is the only state in the union that CAN legally secede, because it joined the U.S. as a sovereign nation in it's own right.

It would be really good for the Dems, or even the other R's to bring out the big guns on Perry now. I know he has been somewhat vetted, but Bush was Governor for awhile and they still found new stuff on him during the Presidential election.

I've never really seen Perry in a debate, or in any sort of "tough" situation.

My gut is telling me he is going to rise fast if there are no issues. He has a huge machine lined up, looks the part, is in pretty good shape position wise, etc. I'm sort of ambivalent on him, but he is much better positioned on issues (not far right, but covers alot of cons. bases), support base, etc. than the other R's right now.

But the contrast that may lift Perry, and undermine Bachmann in their high stakes battle for Iowa had less to do with what they said than how they said it — and what they did before and after speaking.

Continue Reading

Perry arrived early, as did former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum. The Texas governor let a media throng grow and dissolve before working his way across the room to sit at table after table, shake hand after hand, pose for photographs and listen politely to a windy Abraham Lincoln impersonator, paying respect to a state that expects candidates, no matter their fame, to be accessible.

But Bachmann campaigned like a celebrity. And the event highlighted the brittle, presidential-style cocoon that has become her campaign’s signature: a routine of late entries, unexplained absences, quick exits, sharp-elbowed handlers, and pre-selected questioners.

She camped out in her bus, parked on the street in front of a nearby Ramada Hotel, until it was time to take the stage. Even after a local official’s introduction, Bachmann was nowhere to be found. It was not until a second staffer assured her that the lighting had been changed and a second introduction piped over the loudspeakers that she entered the former dance hall here. By the time she made her big entrance to bright lights and blaring music, the crowd seemed puzzled.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61367.html#ixzz1V4TAEQGU

President Perry?

So, to the surprise of exactly no one, he's in. A single question remains, concerning Rick Perry, governor of Texas. If he wins the Republican presidential nomination, as well he may, can he be counted on to send Barack Obama, Joe Biden, and Tim Geithner to the unemployment lines (pending their recruitment by the lobby or the universities)? Will America accord him that chance?

Er. Maybe. Quite possibly. I don't know, and I don't speak abstractly concerning the finite nature of human knowledge.

My governor -- I am a Texan -- is operating at a level at which none of his fans -- I am one -- has seen him operate. We are moving about in the dusk here. Some deliberation is in order.

My governor, as a presidential candidate, brings various strengths to the table:

First, a good gubernatorial record for keeping a relatively tight lid on spending while encouraging enterprise and economic growth. Rick Perry loves business and the spirit of enterprise even more than Barack Obama seems to look down his nose at same. He'd probably love for every start-up concern or corporation in the country to move here , taking advantage of Texas's low-tax, light-regulation climate. From 1999 to 2010, the number of Texas jobs rose 12.6 percent; the country's overall number fell 0.2 percent. How do we like them apples? A whole lot, I bet.

Were Perry to become president, the Environmental Protection Agency could forget about lashing coal producers and automobile manufacturers to lofty standards for "pollution reduction." We would see a different kind of Energy Department -- a more forward-looking one, focused not just on so-called green energy but likewise on traditional sources, including oil, natural gas, and, yes, coal. To the extent legally and politically feasible, the dismantling of Obamacare would commence under a Perry administration, followed by the substitution of something more logical, efficient, and market-oriented.

As a campaigner, Perry would bring considerable vitality to the race. He's a good speaker who commands a public platform. Nobody zings our guv and receives a meek smile in response. The fun of a run against Obama, at the presidential debate level, would consist -- I predict -- in Perry's delight at calling Obama's hand whenever necessary: exposing the generally huge gap between rhetoric and performance.

Texas liberals have had great sport with Perry's mediocre college transcript, leaked recently to the media by some enemy or the other. I have news for Ivy League hecklers everywhere. The governor of Texas is in fact one sharp cookie. Go on and misjudge him if you care to. That'll be your problem and yours only. Further, go on and misjudge the American electorate's commitment to government by Harvard graduates who, for all their book-larnin', can't seem to identify the forces that drive and undergird great, prosperous economies.snip

http://spectator.org/archives/2011/08/15/president-perry

Klavan:

I happened upon Rick Perry’s speech this weekend in a manner typical of myself. I had just turned the TV on to program my DVR to record some obscure foreign cultural something-or-other when the Texas governor appeared onscreen to announce his candidacy for president. I had never seen Perry speak before. I’d asked my knowledgeable friends about him. Some loved him; some said he was a twit. I sat down to watch to see for myself. Here is what I saw.

The speech started out uncomfortably. I was put off by the mawkish tribute to the fallen Navy SEALs at the beginning. Our hallowed dead are worthy of every honor, but there was something ever-so-slightly unpleasant about a politician attempting to harness our grief and pride in order to serve a moment of career self-advancement.

Then came Perry’s life story. His childhood on a cotton farm in the tiny town of Paint Creek, Texas; his wooing of the childhood sweetheart who became his wife; his graduation from Texas A&M; his stint in the Air Force. I hadn’t heard it before and was interested and favorably impressed.

Next there was the red meat indictment of the current administration for its abominable failure on almost every score. I like red meat as much as the next man and I joined the crowd’s applause from my sofa. After all, Barack Obama’s failure is so abysmal and complete that he’s turned even the killing of Osama bin Laden into an asterisk. It can’t be told often enough.snip

http://pajamasmedia.com/andrewklavan/2011/08/15/my-heart-stirred-a-review-of-rick-perrys-speech/

Klavan:

I happened upon Rick Perry’s speech this weekend in a manner typical of myself. I had just turned the TV on to program my DVR to record some obscure foreign cultural something-or-other when the Texas governor appeared onscreen to announce his candidacy for president. I had never seen Perry speak before. I’d asked my knowledgeable friends about him. Some loved him; some said he was a twit. I sat down to watch to see for myself. Here is what I saw.

The speech started out uncomfortably. I was put off by the mawkish tribute to the fallen Navy SEALs at the beginning. Our hallowed dead are worthy of every honor, but there was something ever-so-slightly unpleasant about a politician attempting to harness our grief and pride in order to serve a moment of career self-advancement.

Then came Perry’s life story. His childhood on a cotton farm in the tiny town of Paint Creek, Texas; his wooing of the childhood sweetheart who became his wife; his graduation from Texas A&M; his stint in the Air Force. I hadn’t heard it before and was interested and favorably impressed.

Next there was the red meat indictment of the current administration for its abominable failure on almost every score. I like red meat as much as the next man and I joined the crowd’s applause from my sofa. After all, Barack Obama’s failure is so abysmal and complete that he’s turned even the killing of Osama bin Laden into an asterisk. It can’t be told often enough.snip

http://pajamasmedia.com/andrewklavan/2011/08/15/my-heart-stirred-a-review-of-rick-perrys-speech/

“I’ll promise you this,” Perry said, winding up to his peroration:

I’ll work every day to make Washington, D.C. as inconsequential in your life as I can.