Candidate News Thread - Newt Gingrich

Geee

From the Comments

"Notice: A 22 minute presentation, no teleprompters, and barely a reference to notes. Here's a man that knows history, and how it applies to today and our society. Who better to learn from history to not repeat it. Who else has balanced a FEDERAL BUDGET, worked across the isle to get things done in two split Governments. No guess work. No worrying that he can do it. He has, TWICE ! Just think about it. I'm tired of people running the country that have to learn on the job. We need Experience Now!"

The Root-and-Branch Candidate

Gingrich doesn’t want to beat just Obama, but statism, too.

Andrew C. McCarthy

10/8/11

The question is simple but profound: Will the 2012 presidential-election campaign be about big ideas? Ideas like whether the American people are still masters of their own destiny or instead have resigned themselves to a rule of lawyers advertising itself as “the rule of law”?

To push these fundamentals to the fore is the rationale of Newt Gingrich’s candidacy. If ever there were a big-ideas guy, it’s the former House speaker. Ideas seem to churn out of him faster than the Treasury churns out greenbacks for “green energy.” But do we want to think about them? Newt believes we do — perhaps not so much that we want to but that we have to think about them, if we are to remain an America that is worth preserving. He is also a historian uniquely sensitive to a unique historical moment.

(Snip)

Newt will never be the safe candidate. But he could be the root-and-branch candidate. And the branch he is currently targeting for deracination is the federal judiciary. In his “21st Century Contract with America,” a bold action item is: “Bringing the courts back under the Constitution and the rule of law.”

(Snip)

Newt on a Run: Gingrich Campaign on a Roll After Bumpy Start

Human Events

10/21/11

[Video of Gingrich debate highlights at the bottom of this page.]

After stumbling out of the gate in his run for the GOP presidential nomination, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich's campaign coffers are rising in direct proportion to his poll numbers.

“The campaign is becoming really fun,” said Gingrich, who announced his candidacy for the White House on May 11, only to have a half-dozen key and senior campaign staffers resign within six weeks.

Not content with the publicity from their walkout, former staffers hurt their former boss with gossip about his spending, and the role of his wife in the campaign.

The former speaker hurt himself with an awkwardly public misunderstanding with *Rep. Paul Ryan (R.-Minn.), the chairman of the House Budget Committee. Gingrich started it when he criticized Ryan’s tactical decision to propose reforms to Medicare. The ensuing back-and-forth became a distraction and sapped the campaign’s energy.

Now, Gingrich said, the atmosphere is positive and the campaign has traction.

“I can't make it through the airport without a dozen people pledging their support and clicking a quick photo,” he said.

The former speaker said he is connecting with voters because the American people need a leader to take the country in a new direction.

“The country is in a lot of trouble. I am going to keep doing what I am doing. Talking about big solutions and how we can beat Obama next fall,” he said.

(Snip)

* Note to Human Events there is no member of the Minnesota Congressional Delegation named Paul Ryan. There is however a cheesehead who goes by that name.

Something I've vented about (not on these forums) is the statute of limitations. Newt was a flake and did some things 20 years ago. Are you the same person you were 20 years ago? I know I'm not.

Newt looks centered and solid on the floor of the debate. He looks more Presidential than any other person up there in my opinion.

Something I've vented about (not on these forums) is the statute of limitations. Newt was a flake and did some things 20 years ago. Are you the same person you were 20 years ago? I know I'm not.

Newt looks centered and solid on the floor of the debate. He looks more Presidential than any other person up there in my opinion.

I agree, but politics like life is not fair. And if Newt becomes the nominee (either President or Vice President) the Democrats will use this.

I agree, but politics like life is not fair. And if Newt becomes the nominee (either President or Vice President) the Democrats will use this.

Which is the greater fire? The last 1000 days or 20 years ago?

Which is the greater fire? The last 1000 days or 20 years ago?

Oh if you are a Democrat that question is a no brainer....20 years ago. As everyone knows the last 1,000 days are all George Bush's fault. :D

Here is Newt's speech at the Faith and Freedom affair last nite.

I think his time has come. Would really like to see him get the nomination this time.

I think his time has come. Would really like to see him get the nomination this time.

We could do worse. The problem is the bad Newt is always lurking in the shadows.

I believe he would beat Obama like a bongo drum in a debate...and all without a teleprompter.

We could do worse. The problem is the bad Newt is always lurking in the shadows.

I believe he would beat Obama like a bongo drum in a debate...and all without a teleprompter.

Newt's time has come and gone. He is undisciplined and his debate performance would be marred (judging by past experience) by a fair amount of off-topic esoteric-sounding meandering.

As far as him beating Obambi in a debate, well, that's a given if you actually make it a habit to read and think every once in a while. Whether it would be perceived that way by a majority of debate watchers is a question mark.

Newt's problem is his tendency to leave the reservation and do some pretty damaging stuff with his own words. Sometimes, as smart as he is, I don't think he really thinks it through before engaging his mouth.

Are any of us the same as we were 20 years ago? Probably not. But then, I didn't do the same stupid stuff twice, at least not any stuff of any significance.

Let's take a look at a couple of more recent "nootisms" which would include the little "cap n Trade" gaffe and the snapshot with Nancy Pelosi (OMG my eyes, my eyes). He should be made to pay serious damages for that alone.

And of course, there is the reference to Paul Ryan's medicare works as "right wing social engineering".

That didn't help.

That aside, Newt is right on many more of the important issues than he is wrong. I'd have no problem pulling the Newt Lever on voting day.

WSJ: Can Gingrich Break Through?

PAUL A. GIGOT

11/2/11

The College Board and News Corp. sponsored a forum on education with four GOP presidential candidates last week, and the runaway winner was Newt Gingrich. (Truth in advertising: I moderated the session along with Joel Klein, the former New York schools chancellor who now runs an educational unit for our employer, News Corp. Each candidate received 30 minutes, which was refreshing after the 30-second trivial pursuits of the debates.)

Michele Bachmann (local control), Rick Santorum (moral values) and Herman Cain (business principles) stuck mainly to their talking points, but Mr. Gingrich kept the crowd of 1,000 or so engaged and entertained with a wide-ranging tutorial on everything from the failures of "L.A. Unified" to Jeb Bush's Florida "virtual school." The session was a reminder of Mr. Gingrich's knowledge of government and rhetorical skills, which were overwhelmed by his early campaign missteps.

(Snip)

That scenario may be a long-shot, but no one should rule it out. After Thursday's education session, Mr. Gingrich mentioned that in a conventional year he might not get that second look. But this year, voters are worried enough about the condition and direction of the country that they are willing to consider someone with proposals that are bolder than the political norm. Mr. Gingrich must still overcome the perception that he's been around too long, as well as his habit of talking himself into trouble (recall his criticism of Paul Ryan's Medicare plan). He'll need more money too. But in a year when GOP voters are still searching for someone who can go head-to-head with President Obama, don't be surprised if Mr. Gingrich gets another turn in the spotlight.

Click Here To Watch

The Anchoress

Will have to look at Newt with New Eyes

Nov 3rd, 2011 by Elizabeth Scalia

snip

We’ve all heard the story about how Newt Gingrich — heartless, horrible man — went to his cancer-stricken wife’s hospital bed and told her he wanted a divorce.

We heard it so often, we believed it. I admit, I believed it. Did you?

Well, his daughter says we ought not have believed it:

My mother, Jackie Battley Gingrich, is very much alive, and often spends time with my family. I am lucky to have such a “Miracle Mom,” as I titled her in a column this week.

As for my parents’ divorce, I can remember when they told me.

It was the spring of 1980.

[...]

Later that summer, Mom went to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for surgery to remove a tumor. While she was there, Dad took my sister and me to see her.

Hot Air

Is it now Gingrich’s turn? Update: Video added

POSTED AT 12:15 PM ON NOVEMBER 5, 2011 BY ED MORRISSEY

PRINTER-FRIENDLY

snip

While Mitt Romney has remained a constant in polling for the Republican presidential nomination at around 25-28%, inconstancy has been the constant among his opponents. Michele Bachmann became the first to ride a wave to Romney’s relative polling position, only to fade when Rick Perry entered the race. Now Perry has faded after a series of awful debate performances and Herman Cain has taken his place for the last six weeks. If Cain can’t maintain his momentum, who will be the next Not-Romney? Byron York reports from Iowa that it may well be Newt Gingrich:

For days, there’s been talk of a Newt Gingrich boomlet in the Republican presidential race here in Iowa. After Friday night’s Reagan Dinner at Hy-Vee Hall in downtown Des Moines, that Gingrich boomlet talk might turn into talk of a Gingrich boom.

[Note - this also has the video that Valin! posted. I am adding the article and links for extra reading material :) ]

TWS blog: Gingrich Gains 21 Points on Obama among Independents

JEFFREY H. ANDERSON

11/8/11

Three weeks ago, Rasmussen’s poll of likely voters showed Speaker Newt Gingrich trailing President Barack Obama by a whopping 27 percentage points (51 to 24 percent) among independent voters. Now, Rasmussen shows, Obama’s lead over Gingrich has shrunk to just 6 points (41 to 35 percent) among independents. Obama also leads Gingrich by 6 points (44 to 38 percent) among all likely voters.

(Snip)

The Right Scoop: Newt Gingrich scolds Piers Morgan for trying to teach him about politics

Nov 9, 2011

It’s hard not to love how Gingrich handles the leftist media. For the sake of the GOP field, Gingrich should hold, “How to Handle the Media: 101″ classes. Last night, Piers Morgan got the “don’t give me your gotcha questions” treatment. Take a look:

(Click On Link)