Candidate News Thread - Gary E Johnson

Geee

Fiscally responsible

His use of the veto over his two terms gained him the nickname "Governor Veto".

gallery_3_15_22532.jpg

Recently, Governor Johnson appeared in the first Republican Presidential debate on FOX News. Throughout the debate, Governor Johnson reinforced his reputation and credentials as the most fiscally conservative governor in modern times, including his unmatched record of vetoing 750 bills. Governor Johnson was the only candidate to discuss sensible drug policy, advocating a cost-benefit analysis of the War on Drugs. As part of his drug policy platform, Johnson reiterated his unequivocal support of marijuana legalization, stating, “I advocate legalizing marijuana – control it, regulate it, tax it.”

Gary Earl Johnson (born January 1, 1953)in Minot, North Dakota, is an American businessman, former Governor of New Mexico, and candidate for the Republican nomination for President of the United States in the 2012 election. He served as the 29th Governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003, and is known for his low-tax libertarian views and his regular participation in triathlons.

Founder of one of New Mexico's largest construction companies, Johnson entered politics for the first time by running for Governor of New Mexico in 1994 on a conservative, low-tax, anti-crime platform. He beat incumbent Democratic governor Bruce King by 50% to 40%. He cut the 10% annual growth in the budget by using his gubernatorial veto on half of bills in the first six months. His use of the veto over his two terms gained him the nickname "Governor Veto".

He sought re-election in 1998, winning by 55% to 45%. In his second term, he concentrated on the issue of school voucher reforms, as well as campaigning for marijuana decriminalization. During his tenure as governor, he adhered strictly to an anti-tax, anti-bureaucracy program, and set state and national records for his use of veto powers: more than the other 49 contemporary governors put together. Term-limited, Johnson retired from politics at the end of his second term.

A fitness fanatic, Johnson has taken part in several Ironman Triathlons, and he climbed Mount Everest in May 2003. He announced his candidacy for President of the United States in the 2012 election on April 21, 2011.

Wikipedia

gallery_3_15_22532.jpgGary Johnson

Presidential 2012

Website

Links to the Candidate News Threads

Herman Cain:

Tim Pawlenty:

Bachmann

Rick Perry

Mitt Romney

Gary E Johnson:

Newt Gingrich

Rick Santorum

Jon Huntsman Jr:

Ron Paul: Candidate

Ok.. here is one I have never even heard of.. thanks for these threads on the candidates Geee..maybe shoutClearvision can put them in some Category so they can be easily accessed all the time.

Well shoutGhost-I guess a lot of people are with you- I tried to post a little current news on each candidate and couldn't even find any for Mr. Johnson :lol:

WestVirginiaRebel

Gary Johnson vs. Ron Paul Revisited

Gary Johnson Gets Fired Up

Related:

The most interesting Republican you've never heard of (Salon)

Gary Johnson vs. Ron Paul (original Ilya Somin article)

Turning to the issues first, the difference between the two is strikingly large. As I explained back when Paul ran in 2008, he has very nonlibertarian positions on free trade, school choice, and especially immigration. He also believes that Kelo v. City of New London was correctly decided because he thinks the Bill of Rights does not apply to the states. The latter is theoretically compatible with being a libertarian; one can believe that the Constitution should protect us against various forms of oppression by state governments, but simply fails to do so. But Paul’s position is at odds with most modern research on the original meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment, and with the views of virtually all libertarian constitutional law scholars. It also bodes ill for the nature of his judicial appointments in the unlikely event that he actually wins the presidency.

On all of these issues, Johnson is clearly superior to Paul from a libertarian point of view. He supports school choice and free trade agreements, he’s as pro-immigration as any successful politician can be, and he believes that the Bill of Rights constrains the states as well as the federal government. On the other hand, I can’t think of a single issue where Paul is more libertarian than Johnson, though I’m open to correction by people who know more about their records than I do.

I don’t agree with Johnson on everything. For example, I’m significantly more hawkish than he is on foreign policy. But as a political standard-bearer for libertarianism, Johnson is about as good on the issues as any remotely mainstream politician is likely to be at this point in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Johnson continues debate objections with new video

The 2012 presidential candidate excluded from CNN’s upcoming debate is making his appeal to YouTubers. In a campaign video released late yesterday, Gary Johnson makes the case for being included in the June 13th debate.

Apart from the Fox News clips describing the former New Mexico governor’s fiscal accomplishments, the video also offers a quick history lesson. The Johnson team notes that past candidates with similarly low polls — Michael Dukakis, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton — have eventually done fairly well.

With all three of those former candidates receiving one percent in the polls as late as October of the pre-election year, the video is direct counter-point to CNN’s argument that candidates must have at least two percent in the polls.snip

http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/09/gary-johnson-continues-debate-objections-with-new-video/

• 2 weeks later...

Who Is Gary Johnson?- John Stossel

Someone was missing from last week's Republican presidential debate, and that's too bad. He's an announced candidate who was a two-term governor of New Mexico, and he makes a case for strongly limited government.

Who is he? Gary Johnson. He was left off the platform because the sponsors say he didn't meet their criteria: an average 2 percent showing in at least three opinion polls.

But I grilled him because I think people might want to hear from him.

When he was governor, he vetoed 750 bills and shed a thousand state jobs. That made Republican and Democratic politicians mad, but in a state with a two-to-one Democratic advantage, this Republican was re-elected.

"I got re-elected ... by saying no to the government," he told me. "I was a penny- pincher."

His political philosophy comes down to this:

"The government has a role to protect me against individuals that would do me harm -- whether that be property damage or physical harm. The federal government has an obligation to protect us against foreign governments that would raise arms again us. But beyond that, government does way too much."

What about education?

"The number one thing that the federal government could do to improve education in this country would be to eliminate the Department of Education (and) give education back to the states -- 50 laboratories of innovation ... ."

Johnson is not a social conservative, which leads some political observers to say he has no shot at the GOP nomination -- ever. He doesn't buy it.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=44361

Government Spends Too Much Because It Does Too Much

Before we can truly bring an end to unsustainable federal deficits and debt, we must first have a very frank national discussion about what government does. In the current political and economic environment, it is difficult to find anyone -- liberal, conservative, or whomever -- who doesn't insist that we must get the federal budget under control. When asked, almost everyone in Washington is singing the tune that spending needs to be reduced.

So… how do we know who is serious and who is just singing? We can start by looking past the numbers to press the more important questions: not of what government should spend, but what government should do -- and not do.

We are in the mess we are in today because Democrats and Republicans alike have, for decades, failed to grasp the simple and bedrock American concept of limited government. And you cannot limit government spending with an unlimited government.

Don't get me wrong. At this point, balancing the budget is our greatest imperative, and virtually anything -- spending caps, hiring freezes, across-the-board cuts, earmark bans -- that would move us in that direction in the near term is good. But absent fundamental, structural, and major surgery to eliminate activities government shouldn't be doing, we are simply putting the beast on a temporary diet-with an inevitable binge to follow.

Anyone who has ever worked in government knows that, if you simply cut an agency's budget without cutting what that agency does, the net effect is that spending is merely deferred until a brighter day. Positions aren't filled, purchases are postponed, and maintenance is put off until another year. The poor government employee who is trying to work on an outdated computer just has to wait a year or two to get it replaced-perpetuating inefficiency in an already inefficient environment. Unless we eliminate the need for that computer, it will eventually be replaced-and the money spent. The dollars are only pushed into another election cycle.snip

http://spectator.org/archives/2011/06/23/government-spends-too-much-bec

• 2 months later...

Gov. Gary Johnson: Cut Spending by 43%-and Cut Social Issues From GOP Agenda

According to the latest CNN/ORC survey, former two-term Gov. Gary Johnson (R-N.M.) is polling at 2 percent, neck-and-neck with pizza magnate Herman Cain and ahead of former Gov. John Huntsman (R-Utah) and Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.).

Yet while Cain, Huntsman, and Santorum will mix it up with Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas), former Gov. Mitt Romney (R-Mass.), and Reps. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn.) and Ron Paul (R-Texas) at the nextGOP candidates debate on September 7, Johnson has been told to stay home once more. This latest exclusion has prompted writers at National Review, which isn’t particularly amenable to Johnson’s libertarian-leaning platform, and elsewhere to wonder what’s going on with the selection process.

While Johnson may not make it to the Republican debate at California’s Ronald Reagan ranch, Reason.tv’s Nick Gillespie caught up with him at FreedomFest in July to talk tax reform, cutting federal spending across the board by 43 percent (the amount currently being financed by debt), and how focusing on social conservatism could reduce the GOP to minor-party status.

http://biggovernment.com/reasontv/2011/08/30/gov-gary-johnson-cut-spending-by-43-and-cut-social-issues-from-gop-agenda/

Thanks, I found that just for you ;)

I figured. ;)

You have to take the player embedded stuff out of the code. Hate that they put that in there as I can never remember what all has to come out.

This is what you get from youtube

This is what you have to post to get video to play

Gov. Gary: Cut defense, quit subsidizing Eurocare

In the latest of the long shot libertarian's moves to distinguish himself from the rest of the GOP presidential field, former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson this week called for cuts in defense spending, and massive cuts at that. In a new web ad, Johnson makes the case to pare back the defense budget by 43%. To underscore how serious he is about this, Johnson enumerated the areas in defense budget that would not escape a "President Gary's" scalpel: procurement, equipment, overseas troop levels, weapons systems, personnel - including civilian support staff.

Johnson underscores his point about redundancy in military spending by joking on a blogger conference call, "Do we really need to blow up the world 23 times over, or would eight times be sufficient? (Johnson's numbers were gross estimates, off the cuff.) His only caveat was to remind his listeners that "I'm not an across the board guy," and cuts would be carefully considered.

Johnson styles himself as a "truth-teller." To balance the budget, pay down the debt and shrink the size of government as his opponents are calling for, the defense budget - like entitlements - can't cordoned off from cuts. While Johnson seems to relish "truth-telling" to the Republican establishment, he's not afraid to offer constructive criticism to the Tea Party, too.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/gov-gary-cut-defense-quit-subsidizing-eurocare